The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Points Guy: We never accept free flights [merged TPG discussions]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That last point is off base since TPG gets no kick-back or other economic advantage from that particular deal. So that's a swing and a miss for you.

But I agree that there's still a lot on TPG that's just not very good. I continue to read the site occasionally for the "hidden gem." Recently, for example, I liked their intern's series on East Coast Admirals Clubs. It's useful to me, at least, and I thought it was well done. I also like the monthly points/miles valuation.

Nevertheless I find my time is usually better spent elsewhere -- such as here on Flier Talk.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by FallenPlat
That last point is off base since TPG gets no kick-back or other economic advantage from that particular deal. So that's a swing and a miss for you.
Unless he has specifically stated that, I doubt it is true. That is not how deals such as this work. At the very least he would get the usual affiliate commission.

Put it this way. If your website could get a company access to 1m unique visitors a month, all heavy travellers, would you seriously let major companies like SQ promote themselves on it in return for giving readers a few $ off?

(The saving is probably not much more than the GDS fee charged by Expedia etc anyway. An airline exec explained to me last week that he is allowed to offer promo discounts up to the level of the GDS fee with no need to seek management approval as it nets out for the airline if means people book direct who would not otherwise do so.)

Of course, how many people travel from Houston to Moscow and read TPG is another question!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by FallenPlat

But I agree that there's still a lot on TPG that's just not very good. I continue to read the site occasionally for the "hidden gem." Recently, for example, I liked their intern's series on East Coast Admirals Clubs. It's useful to me, at least, and I thought it was well done. I also like the monthly points/miles valuation.

Nevertheless I find my time is usually better spent elsewhere -- such as here on Flier Talk.
What the hell are you talking about? The point of The POINT Guy is to "maximize your travel." The blog is about earning and burning miles and points. The SQ deal will earn little to no miles for those that fly it, which is ironic for a blog about earning miles.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I find nothing ironic, or even otherwise deserving of criticism, in a post about an ultra-cheap ticket across the big pond.

There's a lot wrong with TPG, of course, but this particular post was fine.

Or put differently, I think having a "points" blog write also about ultra-cheap fares is ok. If you were going to take exception to that, you might as well also say, for but one example, "Hey, what the heck is a 'points' blog doing with a series about AA lounges, or any lounges for that matter? Or hotels?" And that criticism, in my view, would be equally invalid.

So for me it's still a swing and a miss.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by skunker
What the hell are you talking about? The point of The POINT Guy is to "maximize your travel." The blog is about earning and burning miles and points. The SQ deal will earn little to no miles for those that fly it, which is ironic for a blog about earning miles.
I think "maximizing travel" can and does include bargains and cheap fares. FT is no different - we have points and miles forums and also MR deals, budget travel, etc.

I don't visit TPG anymore except on occasion to see something discussed here. I did happen to notice today that in the "About" information it states:

Brian Kelly is The Points Guy, a leader and influencer in the industry of points, miles and travel in general.
So...is being a "Leader and Influencer" better than being a "Thought Leader"?
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:22 pm

Looks like Ben is taking some free handouts:
Best Contest Ever — Join Me In An SPG Suite

When a company gives you something free to give away and also allows you to get in on the prize is that a partnership? It's a mutually beneficial situation at the very least for both. Wonder what TPG got for featuring the Singapore Airlines deal? The exclusivity of featuring a cheap flight and feature on their website or more? Not sure how these bloggers can give reviews of hotels when they are either getting paid or accepting handouts for these companies.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Looks like Ben is taking some free handouts:
Best Contest Ever — Join Me In An SPG Suite

When a company gives you something free to give away and also allows you to get in on the prize is that a partnership? It's a mutually beneficial situation at the very least for both. Wonder what TPG got for featuring the Singapore Airlines deal? The exclusivity of featuring a cheap flight and feature on their website or more? Not sure how these bloggers can give reviews of hotels when they are either getting paid or accepting handouts for these companies.
It's very simple. You know those websites and glossy magazines which tell you everything is super duper lovely? How much do you trust what you read in them? Not at all, obviously. Everyone knows this.

If you 'tell it like it is', your readers trust you - and that means that when you say something is good, they believe you and will push money towards that product. Those are the sites that the smart social media people want to work with and SPG is very good in this regard.

I wrote an absolutely stinking review of St Regis Doha last year (paid stay), a review so critical that the GM ended up getting involved in the comments. It didn't stop me getting invited to an SPG event recently or appearing (for half a second) in a new SPG TV film and an in-house training video.

And I would still give St Regis Doha a hard time tomorrow.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Unless he has specifically stated that, I doubt it is true. That is not how deals such as this work. At the very least he would get the usual affiliate commission.
The base fare is 1.00. Not much to give commission on.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by sbm12
Why? Why would I read the site any more?

I know that the content is crap so I don't bother. There is nothing insightful, unique or valuable coming out so I save my time and energy and ignore it. I cannot think of the last time I went to the TPG site.

What I don't understand is why more people - especially the ones here kvetching - don't do the same.

There are absolutely people who care about that stuff. But this is also why I would never call most of the people writing points & programs "travel bloggers" as they do not really cover what most of travel is about.

Completely agree. I refer to them as transportation bloggers.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by skunker
The point of The POINT Guy is to "maximize your travel."
No, it's not. It is to maximize credit card conversions. And so are all the big commercial blogs.

The above thoughts were by a leading player making things happen in the travel industry practicing "The Hobby" for 20 years. How do ya like that tagline huh?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by gpapadop
No, it's not. It is to maximize credit card conversions. And so are all the big commercial blogs.

The above thoughts were by a leading player making things happen in the travel industry practicing "The Hobby" for 20 years. How do ya like that tagline huh?
^
Old Jul 22, 2015, 2:56 pm

Saw TPG's name in CSP's tv ad. He must be Chase's best credit card sales person.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Vacationmile
Saw TPG's name in CSP's tv ad. He must be Chase's best credit card sales person.
What a rockstar! I'm sure he is kicking himself that he didn't think of bribing a journalist to get featured in Rolling Stone. I mean he's hands down the most famous travel blogger with the strongest brand.

I bet you his travel stories would put the Krug and Tug to shame. Maybe he holding out for the cover of GQ?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
What a rockstar! I'm sure he is kicking himself that he didn't think of bribing a journalist to get featured in Rolling Stone. I mean he's hands down the most famous travel blogger with the strongest brand.

I bet you his travel stories would put the Krug and Tug to shame. Maybe he holding out for the cover of GQ?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:38 pm

Looks like TPG is sticking to their story, "We do not accept comped trips or experiences."

There are photos that give the impression that there were two meals plus $100+ wine. In his response he wrote "paid full price for this meal"... yet there are two meals?

In his previous blog entry the editor-in-chief stated that he had "reached out" to Etihad. I asked if he had contacted the hotel/restaurant before his meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.