Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard F&B

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
I was in Y on EK last week (DXB-DEL). A passenger sitting on my row was extremely upset that there was chicken in his pre booked 'hindu' meal.

The purser had to come down to Y and explain the definition of EK's 'Hindu meal' ie. Does not contain beef but can be chicken or lamb.

I suspect that there are a lot of passengers new to EK who have had the same issue .

On another note I was surprised to see Amul butter (its am Indian brand of butter) in the lunchtime tray on a DXB-DEL flight !

I thought that flights ex DXB were always catered from DXB???
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Is the normal vegetarian meal likely to be unspicy? My 15 year old daughter has ordered vegetarian meal for our trip next month and she hates spicy food. Have warned her to take some snacks with her but if we know that there will be non spicy food it will be easier esp for trip home.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Is the normal vegetarian meal likely to be unspicy? My 15 year old daughter has ordered vegetarian meal for our trip next month and she hates spicy food. Have warned her to take some snacks with her but if we know that there will be non spicy food it will be easier esp for trip home.
on what flight? it's virtually impossible to tell on a general basis what a special meal will be but where the flight is catered may influence it. Also plane meals generally are quite bland.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
I order lacto-ovo veg and every single time it's been spicy so take snacks when in Y.
I can't see why they can't do something like a spinach and ricotta pasta for lacto-ovo meals.
But they rarely do pasta IME.
I think they just serve the Asian veg for all the veggies.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Originally Posted by daisymay2
I order lacto-ovo veg and every single time it's been spicy so take snacks when in Y.
I can't see why they can't do something like a spinach and ricotta pasta for lacto-ovo meals.
But they rarely do pasta IME.
I think they just serve the Asian veg for all the veggies.
Thanks.

That's what worries me. Given they do Asian veggie which is spicy I don't see why they can't do bland veggie (with something like pasta).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by HelloKittysMum
Thanks.

That's what worries me. Given they do Asian veggie which is spicy I don't see why they can't do bland veggie (with something like pasta).
Just don't order Asian Vegetarian. Order lacto-ovo which is generic vegetarian.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Virtually the entire world would consider eggs vegetarian, OP is likely Indian. In India eggs are classified as "non-vegetarian" and any food item containing egg should not be consumed by strict vegetarians of the Hindu faith. I've embarrassed myself before asking for egg fried rice in a strictly veg restaurant.

As a former vegetarian it annoys me a little too much that people consider eggs non-veg
Indians may be using the term vegetarian loosely but veganism is gaining popularity in the west. Many health conscious folks are switching to strictly plant based diet. Who knows, some day in future wheat grass juice may be an option.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by avcritic
Indians may be using the term vegetarian loosely but veganism is gaining popularity in the west. Many health conscious folks are switching to strictly plant based diet. Who knows, some day in future wheat grass juice may be an option.
strict vegetarianism in India means no eggs (which are classified by the government as non-veg and any item containing egg has a red dot (indicating non-veg)), while milk and other dairy-based products are considered veg. So it does seem a little arbitrary.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 7:29 am

Virtually the entire world would consider eggs vegetarian, OP is likely Indian. In India eggs are classified as "non-vegetarian" and any food item containing egg should not be consumed by strict vegetarians of the Hindu faith. I've embarrassed myself before asking for egg fried rice in a strictly veg restaurant.

As a former vegetarian it annoys me a little too much that people consider eggs non-veg
True. In India, eggs are considered "non-vegetarian" - huge market for eggless cakes. :-) But that is probably more of a cultural definition. Although more and more people seem to be fine with food items that may contain eggs.

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
I was in Y on EK last week (DXB-DEL). A passenger sitting on my row was extremely upset that there was chicken in his pre booked 'hindu' meal.

The purser had to come down to Y and explain the definition of EK's 'Hindu meal' ie. Does not contain beef but can be chicken or lamb.

I suspect that there are a lot of passengers new to EK who have had the same issue .

On another note I was surprised to see Amul butter (its am Indian brand of butter) in the lunchtime tray on a DXB-DEL flight !

I thought that flights ex DXB were always catered from DXB???
Yes. The "Hindu" meal definition is confusing as the word "Hindu" seems to indicate the religion & more Indians are vegetarian because of religion (mostly Hindu). If you ask me, the "Hindu" and "AVML" should have been swapped but probably too late to make that change.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:36 am

It would appear that all of the Godiva marketing dollars have been well spent if no taste test is necessary.
Keep in mind that a true taste test needs to be blind. If someone really wants to tell which they prefer, they should take a box of each, cut the chocolates into the exact same shape, blindfold themselves and have someone else put them on a table. In addition, it would be best to include a selection of other branded chocolates.

This is the same thing that should be done with all of this Dom Perignon talk that constantly goes on. Once you've done a blind test (not relying on some "expert" blind tasting), you may actually find out you prefer the "cheaper" version of many products and your pocketbook will thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by badgersfly
It would appear that all of the Godiva marketing dollars have been well spent if no taste test is necessary.
Keep in mind that a true taste test needs to be blind. If someone really wants to tell which they prefer, they should take a box of each, cut the chocolates into the exact same shape, blindfold themselves and have someone else put them on a table. In addition, it would be best to include a selection of other branded chocolates.

This is the same thing that should be done with all of this Dom Perignon talk that constantly goes on. Once you've done a blind test (not relying on some "expert" blind tasting), you may actually find out you prefer the "cheaper" version of many products and your pocketbook will thank you!
Don't be ridiculous, how will F pax lord it over the peasants at the J bar if people thought Dom tasted worse and was no better than Moet/Veuve!! They'd have to rely on the larger flute with all that implies...

Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by badgersfly

DONT TELL THIS m3red
Old Jun 14, 2016, 11:00 am

I can tell my Dom from my Krug and my LPGS and my Pol Roger.

I do like Veuve (la grande dame)

Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:57 pm

To be honest I kind of like the La Bollinger on Etihad recently, compared to the Moet in EK J which I find a bit too dry
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Just don't order Asian Vegetarian. Order lacto-ovo which is generic vegetarian.
I do order lacto-ovo and never ever get a bland pasta type meal - always a spicy meal similar to Asian veg.
They even leave the cheese and biscuits off the tray which is stupid considering lacto-ovo means you eat cheese and eggs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.