Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Onboard F&B

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:22 am

First "refreshing towels" change in Y, then this!

Good incentive to not consume so many calories in J though, unless they are really good...
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
I will report back too.@:-)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lobengula
Well, when the quality of a product deteriorates it's important to notice it, this includes food included in the product. BA can get away with some "enhancements" because they have true non-stop flights to for example Asia and Africa.

Emirates not so much, They already have a disadvantage that passengers can't sleep all night due to connection in Dubai. I think Emirates and other Arab airlines should be very careful when considering "enhancements".
Your assessment of EK's weakness in this regard is outdated by at least five years.

Originally Posted by jackiedada
Was surprised to see the familiar Godiva chocs being replaced by "Coco Jalila" - I literally cringed when I saw the packaging. Was informed by the FA that starting this month, EK shall not be serving Godivas in J - those are reserved for F pax. She finally got me a couple of Godivas from F looking at the forlorn look on my face....

Sorry EK - these "Artisanal Chocolates" are definitely not my idea of artisan chocolates
Seems a bit melodramatic without even having tasted them. Your post would have been considerably more useful if you had in fact tasted them, and were able to advise that they tasted subpar.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I was on EK F (I believe it was DXB-DFW on a 77W) two weeks ago and got a similar pack (same wording, albeit in a square box with four pieces) in the F goodie basket.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jackiedada
I didn't dare to....
So somehow these are really bad chocolates - and can tell this by not actually tasting one?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by daisymay2
No!
We are in J next Sunday!
Has anyone tasted these?
i think it great to see airlines supporting local artisan chocolateurs. Let's face it, name one airport anywhere in EK's network where you cannot pick up a box of Godivas.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
i think it great to see airlines supporting local artisan chocolateurs. Let's face it, name one airport anywhere in EK's network where you cannot pick up a box of Godivas.
EBL?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
As long as EK doesn't get rid of English Stilton on the cheese board, and decent Champagne, I don't give a crap about the chocolate.

Mrs. Pokeable, on the other hand, is horrified.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: It's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all
These will go the same way as the previous ones I've had on my flights....left on the seat / in the side bins. If it was Cadbury's on the other hand
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
EBL?
Are you sure? Godiva is a mass produced Turkish brand chocolates, and there are more flights by Turkish carriers than anybody else.

I think we get addicted to certain foods and don't want to try others, even if these are small batch artisan chocolates.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
Seems a bit melodramatic without even having tasted them. Your post would have been considerably more useful if you had in fact tasted them, and were able to advise that they tasted subpar.
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
If not tried then judgment seen premature.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
So somehow these are really bad chocolates - and can tell this by not actually tasting one?
Just so that we are clear on this, I never said they were bad or subpar. EK just changed the chocolates being served in J and I wanted to bring that on the forum. I don't eat chocolates on EK now (and avoid airline food in general) but as someone who does EK long haul several times a year for close to 15 years now, it just caught my eye immediately and I wanted to point that out. I loved Godivas in my younger years and so I cringed on seeing them gone.

Now, I did open the box though. The box quality and the printing definitely seemed poorer than the Godivas. The chocolates also seemed smaller in size than the Godivas, with none of the gloss that one associates with fine chocolates. They were identical looking, square in shape and with no design or markings on them - one milk and one dark. To me they didn't look enticing enough, so I simply kept them away. At which point the FA came and replaced them with 2 Godivas from F.

Sometimes, you don't need to try out something to get a sense of how it might taste or might be. The packaging and general look communicates a lot. Even if these are are the worlds best chocolates, they definitely didn't look that part, at least to me.

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Good incentive to not consume so many calories in J though, unless they are really good...
Absolutely!! Couldn't agree more.

Last edited by jackiedada; Jun 12, 2016 at 10:43 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 12, 2016, 6:56 pm

Programs: EK Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by avcritic
Are you sure? Godiva is a mass produced Turkish brand chocolates
Actually, they are originally Belgian - just Turkish owned recently....
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had these chocolates last week and then again two days ago. I used to work in the chocolate industry so I like to think I know a bit about these things. They are the same quality or better than Godiva....don't let the name brand fool you. They are both industrial produced chocolate, Godiva just spends more money on marketing.

By the way does anyone know the reason for the closure of airspace over Dubai around 11am on Saturday? It delayed my takeoff by about 2 hours.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:01 am

Flying J from BOM-DXB-JFK. Being a Vegetarian, I generally select the Asian Vegetarian meal (AVML). Not too concerned about the BOM-DXB flight and might skip the meal as BOM lounge will feed me. But what should I expect on the DXB-JFK flight? Does that leg offer any vegetarian options if I decide not to book the AVML meal?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 2:01 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I had these chocolates last week and then again two days ago. I used to work in the chocolate industry so I like to think I know a bit about these things. They are the same quality or better than Godiva....don't let the name brand fool you. They are both industrial produced chocolate, Godiva just spends more money on marketing.

By the way does anyone know the reason for the closure of airspace over Dubai around 11am on Saturday? It delayed my takeoff by about 2 hours.
Rogue drone. Airspace closed for about an hour around noon, some flights diverted to DWC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.