Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis
1) Food must always be paired with beverage.
With the companion rule

1a) water is not a beverage.

Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I used to eat those twice a week as a college Freshman. And yes, hot sauce was applied
The real ones, or the taco bell ones? And real hot sauce, or the taco bell "hot" sauce?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 7:50 pm

Your personal food rules.....

Always use a spoon and fork. I'm so Filipino.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:36 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maortega15
Always use a spoon and fork. I'm so Filipino.
I don't really notice knives in Indonesia either. Fork and spoon are good enough for me!
Old Aug 24, 2013, 1:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I don't really notice knives in Indonesia either. Fork and spoon are good enough for me!
Asia preference is predominantly chopsticks.. although IIRC forks originated from there.

I prefer chopsticks with asian meals, but serve the same meal on a plate, I prefer fork and spoon.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 5:35 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Asia preference is predominantly chopsticks.. although IIRC forks originated from there.

I prefer chopsticks with asian meals, but serve the same meal on a plate, I prefer fork and spoon.
Asian, huh?

Well, chopsticks are the norm for noodle soups no matter where I've been, but Indonesia and the Philippines are definitely fork and spoon-friendly.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Asian, huh?

Well, chopsticks are the norm for noodle soups no matter where I've been, but Indonesia and the Philippines are definitely fork and spoon-friendly.
Don't forget Thailand.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Asian, huh?

To clarify, I eat my asian meals in a bowl.. I use the chopsticks to shovel food into my mouth.

But put the same meal on a plate.. I prefer to use fork and spoon. That's because when I lift a large plate to my mouth, it won't be stable, so generally I don't lift large plates.. thus, I can't lift the plate and shovel eat with chopsticks.. As a result, I prefer the same asian meal on plates using fork and spoon, because I can't conventionally lift a plate and shovel eat with chopsticks very conveniently.

I find it funny watching people trying to eat rice or noodles off plates with chopsticks. It can be an effective diet method, if you're trying to lose weight eating a few pieces of rice or a few noodles at a time using chopsticks.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Been a while since I've seen a post of yours. Thanks for your help on the Europe trip. It was an amazing experience.

I did not know that pork needn't be cooked through. That's a new train of thought.
Hi, glad you had a fun trip!

Yup, with the pork, the danger used to be Trichinosis, but with modern food production it really isn't a risk - I can't recall the last time I heard about it in farmed pork.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Good steak should never touch a grill. It is to be cooked on a smoking hot cast iron skillet...cooked rare to med rare (depending on preference) and topped with butter and chives.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Good steak should never touch a grill. It is to be cooked on a smoking hot cast iron skillet...cooked rare to med rare (depending on preference) and topped with butter and chives.
Barbecued steak is superb, and my preference above all methods. Marinated and barbecue sauce added.

I especially like Bullseye, but certainly enjoy with HP. At a fine dining restaurant, nothing like Chimichuri.^
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
As with so many foods, textural contrast is the key

When struck by the urge for a box of grocery store cake donuts

the box should be opened for several hours and the donuts turned in the box periodically to get a nice starting-to-get-every-so-slighty stale all-over crust on them
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
No Sushi or shellfish the day before a long haul flight.

I always drink alcohol during adventurous dinner so it can kill any bugs.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If you serve me something from a can, it had better be a beer.

Canned vegetables are Satan's feces.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Tomatoes must be either raw (in which case they'd better be tasty) or cooked down into a sauce. Cooked tomatoes that retain tomato shape are to be avoided.

Austrian food is underappreciated and should be more widely available

No organ meats. Except possibly haggis

Decaffeniated coffee is like sex with a condom. Ok that is actually my brother's former colleague's rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.