Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I have a few food rules:

At home

* No taco shells, ever. - Coming from a Mexican background, taco shells are the anti-Christ. You just don't allow these outside forces into your home.

* Deli cut bacon, always - I stopped buying packaged bacon years ago.

* Eggs cooked in butter and/or bacon grease - I never use oil or spray.

* Best Foods mayo only - I've tried other brands, but they don't compare.

* Shredded cheese at arm's reach - I always have shredded cheese, usually a Mexican blend, around. It's great as a omelet filler, for grilled quesadillas, chili topper, and nachos. Speaking of, I got the idea of using potato chips instead of tortilla chips for nachos from a chain restaurant and they're excellent.

Traveling

* If I have to guess what it is, I'm not eating it - No mystery meats!

* Liquids only from a container in foreign countries - Not taking my chances. One exception is draft beer. I order wine by the bottle vs. glass.

* Pizza should have cheese I recognize - I've ruled out eating pizza in Germany and Japan as a result.

* Taxi drivers have good restaurant tips - I never ask hotel concierges for suggestions on places to eat, cab drivers are more trustworthy.

* Load up on free breakfast spreads - I can the skip lunch and go directly to dinner. Sometimes, I'll grab an extra piece of fresh fruit or a pastry for lunch or a snack. Saves money if I'm on a budget.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seattletravelguy

* Pizza should have cheese I recognize - I've ruled out eating pizza in Germany and Japan as a result.
Why?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
I have a few food rules:
* Liquids only from a container in foreign countries - Not taking my chances. One exception is draft beer. I order wine by the bottle vs. glass.
Blanket ban on tap water for any foreign country? I'd trust the tap water in Toronto or London over the tap water in some parts of the US...
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by rjque
Why?
Because in both situations I believe the substance was intended to be cheese, but it was something else. And it left an awful aftertaste.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because in both situations I believe the substance was intended to be cheese, but it was something else. And it left an awful aftertaste.
Oh, I thought you were saying that you had a blanket ban on pizza in Japan and Germany. Granted, the Japanese like to put all kinds of things on pizza, but I thought a blanket ban seemed a bit extreme.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I am wholly unimpressed by restaurants whose claim to fame is large portion sizes. If you tell me "Let's go to <some place>. They have really huge portion sizes", I won't want to go.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 1:08 pm

Smoked Salmon appetizer on an airplane. Coming back from Europe with OH, non-rev in F, it was so good I asked for seconds. I made it to JFK and could tell then that something bad was cooking. Never again. Luckily the evening flight back to Austin was half full and I had a seat in the back next to the blue room.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
A mustard/ketchup mix for dipping my fries.

Cheese slices with raw carrots.

Another vote for Best Foods mayo.

Buy a baked chicken breast at my local grocery deli instead of cooking one myself.

Always have a two or three day supply of avocados for guacamole or sliced for salads, sandwiches or red sauce pasta.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:17 pm

Don't like orange colored cheddar cheese.

Bobette
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by jsmeeker
I am wholly unimpressed by restaurants whose claim to fame is large portion sizes. If you tell me "Let's go to <some place>. They have really huge portion sizes", I won't want to go.
+1. A heaping plate is unappetizing to me.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:50 pm

* If I have to guess what it is, I'm not eating it - No mystery meats!
Opposite of that for me, especially in Asia. Love just pointing at a menu and not knowing what's coming.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: M&S E+, Skymiles Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite,
- Carbonade flamande (stoverij) always goes with French fries and is mixed with mayonaise so the fries are soaked in the sauce mixture... *mmmmmmmmm*
- If something is 1 day past the date on the pack, I ain't gonna touch it anymore
- Spaghetti goes with cheese, always.
- Mac and cheese without bread crumbs on top and baked off in the oven ain't no Mac & Cheese
- Eating food that's supposed to be hot, chilled might give you a whole new experience
- My steak is crusty on the outside, but rare cooked inside
- Fruits that feel a little soft already are a no-go
- In winter time, if your drinks are cooled outside (specially when it's almost freezing) taste much better then when cooled in the refrigerator
- A good bolognese sauce should simmer for a couple of hours
-Before adding mushrooms to anything, cook them in a seperate pan without any fat.

When on the road:

- Only 2 rules: don't take any risks in warmer countries and ALWAYS eat as much as you can off stuff you can't get back home (and of course, bring some back home, if possible)
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Dredgy
Opposite of that for me, especially in Asia. Love just pointing at a menu and not knowing what's coming.
Me too... sort of. But I've had multi-day periods of bad luck with that, which actually had me wishing for a McDs or KFC, or better yet an interpreter.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Jeeves
A mustard/ketchup mix for dipping my fries.

Cheese slices with raw carrots.

Another vote for Best Foods mayo.

Buy a baked chicken breast at my local grocery deli instead of cooking one myself.

Always have a two or three day supply of avocados for guacamole or sliced for salads, sandwiches or red sauce pasta.
I'm curious. Do you put avocados in red sauce pasta, or throw on top? Never heard of this.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:37 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
I was a vegetarian for a couple of years and only came half the way back- I still don't eat beef, pork, or other mammals

Eggs are evil, unless they're hidden in something like a meringue which disguises the worst of the egginess. I even make my tuna salad with a yogurt-based ranch dressing. (My egg aversion is bad enough that I once got a tuna salad sandwich in ATL with unlabeled evil egg in it, took a bite to discover the hard-boiled minced monstrosity, and immediately started gagging.)

No complex carbs, large amounts of protein, or hot beverages before 11am. I need to be vertical for a while before my stomach can process such things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.