Your personal food rules.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your personal food rules.....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by braslvr
I think the shocking thing here is that as much as you eat out, you have never been asked how you want your burger cooked. When I order a hamburger anywhere in the US other than fast-food places, 90+% of the time they ask me how I want it cooked. Even in many other countries this is the norm.
I agree its shocking. I've been eating out pretty much daily, and moreso the last 10 years since I graduated high school 19 years ago. And its shocking that I've never been asked that question.

Burgers in Calgary just only started getting big. Yes, we've had Fat Burger now for what seems 7 years, and only recently did SmashBurger, and Five Guys, the big US chain has entered into the fray in the Calgary market. Prior, it seems the only burger joints were your basic fast food chains, like McDonalds, Wendy's.. even we thought Burger King was a treat.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 2:21 pm

I'm more likely to try any food... if it's topped with bacon.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I agree its shocking. I've been eating out pretty much daily, and moreso the last 10 years since I graduated high school 19 years ago. And its shocking that I've never been asked that question.

Burgers in Calgary just only started getting big. Yes, we've had Fat Burger now for what seems 7 years, and only recently did SmashBurger, and Five Guys, the big US chain has entered into the fray in the Calgary market. Prior, it seems the only burger joints were your basic fast food chains, like McDonalds, Wendy's.. even we thought Burger King was a treat.
I wasn't talking about burger joints. Most every steakhouse, family restaurant, hotel restaurant, airport restaurant, etc. has a hamburger on the menu, and has for decades. Even in Calgary.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:34 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I forgot one. Cajun chicken is worthless without mayonnaise.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
With pork in the mix, I believe that the entire burger would have to be cooked well done.
Really no need to cook decent pork to well done any more - you could have it medium rare provided the mince was carefully handled (same as beef).
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:24 am

favorite rule: if i bought it im eating all of it... simple as that but i mean it sounds like im selfish but when it comes to my food.. that gets down to business haha
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When in doubt, add hot sauce. It can turn anything mediocre into something far more edible.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
When in doubt, add hot sauce. It can turn anything mediocre into something far more edible.
Except for that Cholula crap.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by tcl
On the road:
1) Drink water
2) Buy water as soon as possible when landed.
3) Drink water
4) Make sure there is enough drinking water the night before for the next day.
5) Drink water

Reminding myself to drink water constantly has helped prevent getting ill on the road. I have a Platypus water bottle tucked into each travel bag and one in my tote ready to be filled from a larger bottle I buy at a convenience store (or from the plane's refreshment trolley). You can never have too many Platys (though I dislike Vapur) I find that once I get dehydrated on the road, it's almost guaranteed that I will fall ill.
^^

On a trip a few weeks ago with questionable facilities everyone else was trying to avoid drinking in order to not have to use said places that frequently. I however was constantly filling up with water - but it kept me from having any issues (and the facilities weren't THAT bad - most days). Lesson was learned from a similar trip last year where I suffered problems as a result of not drinking enough water.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Except for that Cholula crap.
Wasn't a Chalupa that ill-fated taco-thing they had at Taco Bell awhile back?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by jackal
Wasn't a Chalupa that ill-fated taco-thing they had at Taco Bell awhile back?
Hardly ill-fated; you can still get 'em. Basically a taco, but in a fried gordita shell (itself basically a pita bread.)

There are also actual Mexican foods called chalupas and gorditas, of which the Taco Bell versions have only the most passing of relationships (as is true for most things on their menu that don't have entirely made-up names, like the "Enchirito")
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nkedel
Hardly ill-fated; you can still get 'em. Basically a taco, but in a fried gordita shell (itself basically a pita bread.)

There are also actual Mexican foods called chalupas and gorditas, of which the Taco Bell versions have only the most passing of relationships (as is true for most things on their menu that don't have entirely made-up names, like the "Enchirito")
I used to eat those twice a week as a college Freshman. And yes, hot sauce was applied
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by emma69
Really no need to cook decent pork to well done any more - you could have it medium rare provided the mince was carefully handled (same as beef).
Been a while since I've seen a post of yours. Thanks for your help on the Europe trip. It was an amazing experience.

I did not know that pork needn't be cooked through. That's a new train of thought.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Just realized I haven't posted mine:

1. No lemon in water. EVER! If lemon has ever been put in the glass, on the rim, etc, please get me a new glass (lemon makes the water taste like soap to me).

2. When I say no cheese, I mean no cheese. And, no, your little sprinkling of parmesan is not ok. Oh, and don't just take it back and kind of scrape it off. Make me something new. I prefer to choose when I risk my stomach on dairy (for example, cheese bought at a Sunday market in Paris = worth it, fake cheese from a can at a chain restaurant = not worth it).

3. Spinach should never be cooked more than slightly wilted.

4. When choosing a place to eat in a small town in the south, always count the number of farm trucks in the parking lot. The more farm trucks, the better. If there aren't any farm trucks in the parking lot, find another place to eat.

5. Brussel sprouts should only be eaten when fresh. Frozen brussel sprouts are tools of the devil. In fact I suspect most frozen vegetables are tools of the devil (unless I've personally blanched and frozen them myself).

6. Eggs should be no more than soft cooked (the runnier the better).

7. Corn should only be eaten off the cob, when picked fresh at the height of summer.

8. No green bell peppers ever. All other peppers are welcomed with open arms.

9. Chocolate is a gift from the gods, especially dark chocolate.

10. Ketchup should be used sparingly. In fact, meatloaf and onion rings are about the only things ketchup should always be eaten with. Perhaps in small amounts on a hamburger, hot dog, or corndog, but that's it. Never on fries.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
1) Food must always be paired with beverage.

2) Medium rare, always.

3) If I am going to be bad, I am going to be terrible.

4) Egg on a burger is awesome.. But I disagree with my countrymen on beetroot.

5) Homegrown tomatoes are awesome, and tomato basil and (real!) mozzarella are a match made in heaven.

6) Buy and eat local. Reduce food miles.

7) When eating out avoid large chains, always ask the locals, be brave and try "non-standard" looking places.

8) Germans know how to live. Brats and Beer!

9) Since finishing college I never and will never again, but prepackaged meals.. Cooking takes time and care and the rewards are worth it!

10) Never clean teeth before breakfast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.