Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Jefferson Diner, Lake Hopatcong, NJ. It seemed to me like a good to very-good diner, but nothing noteworthy. Maybe my fault for ordering wrong - the show highlighted the lobster bisque and moussaka, but I was really wanting more traditional breakfast fare.

Dish, Charlotte NC. This time, I ordered what the show highlighted, and the chicken and dumplings were the best I've ever had. (Also the cheapest entree on the menu, a nice surprise). And I loved the deviled egg lagniappe.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:28 pm

Triple XXX Rootbeer Drive-in in Issaquah, wa Great Root Beer!!
Some of the burgers are small!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Mulberry in Buffalo did not disappoint! Very good, well worth the 1+ hour wait considering we showed up at prime time on a Saturday night. If you want the lasagna go early, they were out by the time we arrived.

Struck out on other places in/around Buffalo that had been on DDD. Sophie's looks like it was undergoing remodeling and Grover's was closed on the day (Sunday) we stopped by.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Geez...You guys didn't watch the Diners, drives & dives on TV last night? How come? I always watched the TV show every Monday evening & Wednesday or Thursday. I loves those show that I ever heard it before. It's extremely important for you guys that you can watch the Diners, Drives & Dives on TV at 9pm right after Candy Store show on Food Networks.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 9:53 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diamond, AA LT Gold, SouthWest Comp Pass
Originally Posted by MrEntrepreneur
I am not sure if anyone saw that episode where he takes french fries put them in a wok which has cooked steak, veggies, soy sauce, and some other sauces, he mixes it up and pours all of it on a bed of rice.
Not sure if it was the episode i am thinking of, but have you ever had Peruvian Lomo Saltado? Don't knock it until you have tried it... tasty!

http://www.google.com/search?q=peru+lomo+saltado&hl=en&safe=off&client=f irefox-a&hs=tp&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&channel=s&prmd=ivnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&so urce=univ&sa=X&ei=KsyjTaqXMYTQsAPvgKX7DA&ved=0CBgQ sAQ&biw=1664&bih=898
Old Jun 5, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Topeka

Bobo's burgers and apple pie...not to be missed even though Topeka should be 10th and macvicar
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:15 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Recalled from an old show, a visit to Houston's Pita Cafe (a sort of Bosnian place, tiny) turned out to be worth the effort.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Recalled from an old show, a visit to Houston's Pita Cafe (a sort of Bosnian place, tiny) turned out to be worth the effort.
I ate there just the other day as well. I love the Cevap and the bread there is unbelievable, like a cloud. Pretty much everything I have had there is awesome. Service is nice, but not overly attentive. There's a liquor store next door where you can grab some wine to take in with you.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:08 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
He came out here and hit some good places like Nico's on Pier 38, Rainbow Drive-Inn, Hanks Haught Dogs, Murphys Bar and Grill, and a couple of other places....

All good places and (for the most part) not overrun by tourists.....
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Mulberry in Buffalo did not disappoint! Very good, well worth the 1+ hour wait considering we showed up at prime time on a Saturday night. If you want the lasagna go early, they were out by the time we arrived.

Struck out on other places in/around Buffalo that had been on DDD. Sophie's looks like it was undergoing remodeling and Grover's was closed on the day (Sunday) we stopped by.
Didn't realize Mulberry was featured on DDD, especially since I wouldn't consider it any of the three.

I've eaten there probably 20 times over the years. Great food, just a pain to get back downtown at night during a snowstorm.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: Many, slipping beneath the horizon
Originally Posted by Tuffy
I ate there just the other day as well. I love the Cevap and the bread there is unbelievable, like a cloud. Pretty much everything I have had there is awesome. Service is nice, but not overly attentive. There's a liquor store next door where you can grab some wine to take in with you.
Echo the quality of the bread. I suspect it may come from the litlle Balkan bakery/cafe across the parking lot, but in any case, it's worth the trip. I attempted, fairly successfully, to replicate the cevap for dinner last night. In a convenient location (if driving), it will become one of my regular stops on frequent trips to Houston.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:24 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by TMOliver
Echo the quality of the bread. I suspect it may come from the litlle Balkan bakery/cafe across the parking lot, but in any case, it's worth the trip. I attempted, fairly successfully, to replicate the cevap for dinner last night. In a convenient location (if driving), it will become one of my regular stops on frequent trips to Houston.
They do make it their, it's the same family's grocery store across Lakeside from the restaurant. If you have any recipe's, I would love to see a good representation of the Cevap. I haven't done alot of looking online, but it's hard to find authentic recipe's online, so many websites just have Rachel Ray style throw together food, not necessarily done the "right" way. I'm also looking for a good bread recipe to make that kind of bread if you have anything.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Chicago - Panozzo's Italian Market

Sometimes the places reviewed in Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives can be good (some are very overrated).

After seeing an episode where Guy (can he please not put his sunglasses on the back of his neck like an idiot??), went to a local Chicago restaurant/market called Panozzo's Italian Market www.panozzos.com It looked good so I went with a couple of clients.

We all tried two of their sandwiches: The first was the Porchino, using housemade porchetta, served on slightly sour fried flat bread & pickled fennel shavings. The second was various Italian cold cuts, arugula, served with Calabrian Cherry Pepper pesto on a crunchy Bolino Roll. Both were delicious! we all agreed we'd like to see more meat on the sandwiches but hey, that is the way they serve them.

I am not a sweets guy (despite the handle), but a huge hit for all of us was a poundcake made with ricotta. Holy cow, not to sweet, moist & so good, we went back & bought more.

Panozzo's is not too far from the lakefront/Shedd Aquarium, so grab a sandwich & head to the lakefront to eat.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 6:52 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Too bad the host hasn't grown up yet, he is suppose to be an adult, but wearing his dark glass backwards on the back of his neck, he's no teenager, I doubt he has eyes in the back of his head, or his neck. Pretty good show with some great eats and that's about it, I think they could do better for a host.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:59 pm

In 2011 I sampled a few DDD spots:

HNL - Hank's Haute Dogs. Had a hot dog wrapped in bacon with onion rings. Hot dog was good and onion rings OK. My wife had the lobster dog which she gave a 7 out of 10. Best surprise was the curry ketchup. That was tastey! ^

MEM - Rendezvous. Ate here twice on different trips and both time the ribs were tastey but dry.

ORF - Whitner's BBQ. The real deal and some of the best BBQ I've ever had. Ribs, brisket and turkey were awesome! ^^

SAN - Hodad's. Had the famous bacon cheeseburger. A complete mess, literally. Taste was OK but it was so big and messy that it fell apart with each bite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.