Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Old Jan 31, 2013, 6:41 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I tried Blue Moon Cafe in Baltimore this past weekend. Big, hearty, greasy diner-style portions, but it felt like they put care into the preparation. Had one of the dishes they're well-known for (and that was featured on DDD), the Cap'n Crunch French Toast; not as cloyingly sweet as I expected, it was pleasant. The housemade jam was also very good, as are the potato pancakes.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:24 pm

Standard Diner in ABQ.

Two weeks, two separate meals.

Chicken-fried tuna was decent. I'd order it again. Wasabi slaw was delicious.

Bourbon butter burger was rich, but fabulous. Too rich to finish. I'd order it again, maybe. I'm not usually a burger person, but this one was good. Sweet potato fries on the side were perfect - not mushy, not crisp.

Ordered an apricot creme brulee shake, but they refused to serve it since the chef said the batch went bust and wasn't servable. Opted for cherry almond, and wasn't disappointed. Damn good shake.

Recommended. Great service, two good meals, fantastic dessert.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
In Kansas City, Swagger is my new favorite bar. Definitely divey (it smells kinda bad), but awesome beer and whisky selection, and their tempura fried burger with wasabi cole slaw is killer.

Chris
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:50 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Originally Posted by TimF1975
Triple X Restaurant
West Lafayette, IN ^
I was driving from Cincinnati back to Chicago a couple months ago, and was trying to plan where I would grab a bite to eat, Triple XXX popped into my mind. Triple XXX is not close to I-65 but an easy enough trek (w/gps as I know nothing about Lafayette).

I stopped in about 9:15pm, ordered a burger. I can easily see how this would be a dangerous addiction after drinking if I had gone to Purdue. Patty is made w/sirloin, has good flavor, VERY juicy w/some fat (hey fat is where the flavor is), normal bun, sauteed onions until they were a bit translucent. I was quite pleased.

www.triplexxxfamilyrestaurant.com
-
-
Old Jun 1, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
Antojito's la Texanita in Santa Rosa, CA gets a big ^
I agree, stopped in this place on a whim long before it was on DDD
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
El Guero Canelo - now up to 3 locations around TUS. ^
Old Aug 10, 2013, 10:23 pm

Mediterraneo, Providence RI ^
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:42 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire/Ambassador
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
El Guero Canelo - now up to 3 locations around TUS. ^
The Sonoran Hot Dog at El Guero Canelo www.elguerocanelo.com (or BK's www.bktacos.com ) is not to be missed, it is amazing.

For those wondering: The basic make-up of a Sonoran hot dog is a bacon-wrapped hot dog shoved into a soft Mexican roll topped with pinto beans, chopped tomatoes, onions, cheese, mayonnaise, ketchup and mustard. They usually come with a roasted chili on the side. I get one almost daily if in the TUS area. One can find bacon wrapped hot dogs in the more ethnic areas of large urban cities but they don't come close to the taste of the Sonoran dogs in TUS !!
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: WOH (G)lobotimized, SPG Tarnished Gold
Blimpy Burger, a long-time favorite in Ann Arbor featured on "Diners" and "Man v. Food", is slated to close its current location this Wednesday on account of having to vacate the premises for a university expansion.

http://blimpylastsupper.com/

It appears the closure is temporary:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013081...r-Blimpy-close
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:15 pm

i second overeasy
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by rjkgr
i second overeasy
For a way better breakfast in the PHX metro area, go East to TC Eggingtons in Mesa.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Somewhere Over the Atlantic
Blimpy Burger, a long-time favorite in Ann Arbor featured on "Diners" and "Man v. Food", is slated to close its current location this Wednesday on account of having to vacate the premises for a university expansion.

http://blimpylastsupper.com/

It appears the closure is temporary:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013081...r-Blimpy-close
Oh man, that brings back memories. My now wife and I spent a lot of time there although when a previous person owned it. Loved the burger with blue cheese as I recall. Certainly hope they relocate soon. And shame of the U of M for forcing them to relocate.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Tried to head to Rino's in East Boston--twice. The first time, we checked their hours and showed up to a note on the door that said they were on vacation. The second time, we showed up to a two-hour wait. The hostess (as well as Yelp) recommended a place around the corner called Mario's.

Boy, am I ever glad she did: that's the place that should have been on DDD! Can't speak for Rino's, but Mario's featured the world's most affable owner/waitress/cook/busser--whose mom only speaks Italian. Huge portions of delectable dishes from simple but quality ingredients. Yum!
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:57 pm

I'm going to give a big ^ to Cristiano's in Marysville WA. Yeah, it may be one of the only places to eat in Marysville WA but it was pretty good and a good value. Highly recommend the salad and pizza combo plate. Full size salad and an individual sized pizza for less than $10. Definitely a lot of locals inside while we were there and it had a good family run locally owned vibe to it which I certainly appreciate.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I've been to a ton of these places.. A few of my favorites:

Nico's Pier 38 in Honolulu
Lankford Grocery in Houston
Mike's City Diner in Boston

Red Arrow in Manchester is overrated IMO. Good place to spot politicians though!

I don't remember the name, but I went to the place in Omaha in the old school cafeteria. Meh.

I've never been too any that are absolutely horrible though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.