Diners, Drive Ins & Dives (Food Network) TV Show

Old Jul 6, 2010, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nerd
Went to Smoque last weekend.

Pulled pork sandwich: ^
Sides (coleslaw, Mac 'n Cheese): ^
St. Louis Ribs:

Someone left the ribs in too long -- it was like inhaling raw campfire smoke.
^^^^^^ to the Smoque brisket. IMHO even better than any I've ever had in Kansas City!

Also a +1 to Kuma's - great burgers.

Some other ones I've visited around Chicago:

Cemita's Puebla - great sandwiches, esp. the cemita with carne asada

Tufano's Vernon Park Tap - wasn't thrilled with the lemon chicken, but the food was fine. Also surprised at how it could be so inexpensive. And eating outside there was pleasant.

Wiener and Still Champion - they taped the show there, but I don't think it ever made it on air. Good burgers, fries, etc. Their "specialty" is that they will deep fry basically anything. We came with a big group and they made a LOT of stuff for us: corn dogs (I don't like them, but prob best I've tried), deep fried gyros, deep fried bacon, deep fried jalapenos, deep fried chorizo pockets, deep fried chili "bombs." Basically it was enough to give you a heart attack! I took a bite or two of a few things, but passed on most of it, though people seemed to like it.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Cincinnati Ohio
Tuckers-hamburgers . I live hrer and go fairly often. Yum. From plain to fancy and really good but you will wait for them. If you arrive at an off hour you may not ahve to wait. Otherwise you will --up to an hour becasue he is slow. Is it worth it--I think so !
Virgil's
Tiny bit fancier, small place chef driven. Their corned beef is made in house and is to die for. You may not ever appreciate other corned beef again. Ohter good stuff too.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 6:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I noticed in one of the more recent episodes, Guy visited Rainbow Drive-In, which is in Kapahulu, just outside of Waikiki and the Zoo. I've eaten there many times, although I more of a Grace's kind of guy for my plate lunch fix.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: United/CO, AAdvantage, Hilton Diamond , Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott & PC Plat
Hello went to " Tommy's Joynt " in SF in April.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/tommys-joynt.aspx

Was staying in Union Square & took the 10-15 min walk to this easy to find place. I had the brisket - which was great & also had a taste of the Burgandy Tips which were even better. One of my co-workers had the turkey and was not that impressed. Overall 2 out of 3 to the positive ain't so bad .....
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: UA *Alliance
Jake's Good Eats in Charlotte NC was fantastic! Started off with a spinach and artichoke dip app served with homemade tortilla chips for dipping. Dip was heavy on the spinach which I liked very much with just enough cheese to hold it together. A couple of us had the pulled pork bbq plate with a mayonaise based coleslaw and homemade potato chips, also very tasty. Pork could have been a little warmer, maybe a little more sauce but still very tasty. Another in the party had the maple glazed pork chop over garlic mashed potatoes and candied apples, also very tasty! There is no dessert menu because it varies daily apparently and your server will recite it for you. The blueberry cobbler and apple pecan pie were both very well done. The blueberries in the cobbler were plump, tasted fresh, not overly sweet, and definitely didn't have that metallic can taste.

Silver Skillet in Atlanta is very typical diner food. Go if you want to say that you ate somewhere with some history that a lot of famous people have eaten at but the food is just diner basics. Review based on breakfast offerings, lunch and dinner menus may be a different story.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 11:22 am

I've eaten at quite a few DD&D restaurants, though with most of them I went there based upon Chowhound or Yelp recommendations. Every one was quite good. In particular, Nico's at Pier 38 in HNL, Becky's in Portland, ME, and the Rivershack Tavern in Jefferson, LA. I would have no hesitation trying one of Fiery's recommendations when in an unfamiliar city.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 9:44 pm

The show was good for a one seasons but Guy is annoying after a while. The glasses behind the head annoys the hell out of me.

His cooking is next to .... like Rachel Ray. This guy makes my blood boil. Some of the .... he cooks is down right disgusting.

I am not sure if anyone saw that episode where he takes french fries put them in a wok which has cooked steak, veggies, soy sauce, and some other sauces, he mixes it up and pours all of it on a bed of rice.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MrEntrepreneur
I am not sure if anyone saw that episode where he takes french fries put them in a wok which has cooked steak, veggies, soy sauce, and some other sauces, he mixes it up and pours all of it on a bed of rice.
Haha, I didn't see that episode, but it sounds awful. I would agree, alot of his food he puts together isn't really "fusion" it's just weird combinations that haven't been done before, they don't really work. Though "fusion" is an overused terrible word for food anyways.

I used to think he was really annoying until I saw some behind the scenes work, he's actually a likeable guy, and works very hard at a not so easy job. It's one thing to stand up there and talk about food, but it's another to have the wit to only do things in virtually one take and hit multiple restaurant tapings in one day. He's definitely not a chef. Side note- I went to the Chef Point Cafe, the restaurant at the gas station in DFW, it was awesome, definitely should try it sometime.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tuffy
Haha, I didn't see that episode, but it sounds awful. I would agree, alot of his food he puts together isn't really "fusion" it's just weird combinations that haven't been done before, they don't really work. Though "fusion" is an overused terrible word for food anyways.

I used to think he was really annoying until I saw some behind the scenes work, he's actually a likeable guy, and works very hard at a not so easy job. It's one thing to stand up there and talk about food, but it's another to have the wit to only do things in virtually one take and hit multiple restaurant tapings in one day. He's definitely not a chef. Side note- I went to the Chef Point Cafe, the restaurant at the gas station in DFW, it was awesome, definitely should try it sometime.
Well he should bring the likable Guy out of him rather then the a$$ clown I see him as on DDD.

He is the male version of Rachel Ray, talk a lot, claims to know a lot about food but does not know the different between his ... and elbow. At the end of the day he cant cook I am sorry.

You would think from all the meals he eats on the road he might have picked up a thing or two but no still confused.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 5:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Was he trying to make something like this?

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Lomo_saltado
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Was he trying to make something like this?

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cookbook:Lomo_saltado

Yes!! This is it, it looked just like this.

Makes you want to vomit just looking at it.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed - lomo saltado.

It's a traditional Peruvian dish.

I've only ever had it in Lima. It's dee-lish. ^
Old Jul 19, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Places I can remember visiting.

Franks Diner
Kenosha, WI ^^

Triple X Restaurant
West Lafayette, IN ^

Hackney's
Glenview, IL ^^

Taylor's Automatic Refresher
St. Helena, CA ^

Duarte's Tavern
Pescadero , CA ^^^

Smoque
Chicago, IL ^

Paradise Pup
Des Plaines, IL ^

Joe's
Gilbert, AZ ^^

Salsa Brava
Flagstaff, AZ ^

Super Duper Weenie
Fairfield, CT ^
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:33 pm

I heard that it was 1 capsule of vitaminE and a couple of vitaminC , before eating.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriot Gold, NW Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just came across this thread after doing some searching for Diners DriveIns and Dives. I thought you guys may find a site I threw together, http://www.tvfoodmaps.com useful in finding restaurants from DDD and some of the other Food Network shows. Happy Eating!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.