Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CBear
Long haul international vs short haul domestic. Please point me to a long haul route where the difference between Y and F is $50.
Of course, I can't. At least not without a fair amount of digging.

However, the post you quoted and were replying to wasn't talking about long-haul int'l only, thus I provided an example of the portion you omitted.

Besides, we're both cherry-picking here, aren't we? I didn't use something like ATL-NYC where the difference is several hundred dollars, and you didn't use something like JFK-BCN where the difference is far less than $7.3k.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Of course, I can't. At least not without a fair amount of digging.

However, the post you quoted and were replying to wasn't talking about long-haul int'l only, thus I provided an example of the portion you omitted.

Besides, we're both cherry-picking here, aren't we? I didn't use something like ATL-NYC where the difference is several hundred dollars, and you didn't use something like JFK-BCN where the difference is far less than $7.3k.
And how often do you find instances of your example?

Point is, the only misconception about pricing exists in the mind of the OP. He is the one who implied that in reality, it's not as expensive for the average person to afford F.
For the majority of people with no status or affiliation, who needs to get from point A-point B, there's a good chance of paying 2-5 times as much for first as for economy. That's quite a big difference. His claim about a misconception about price differences is a little off.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
I often get asked when my upgrade cleared to which I always reply with a smile "never - I bought this ticket with my hard earned money..."

I'm also a "victim" of being reprimanded by fellow passengers when boarding with D1/Premium because I'm in my low 40's but look younger. I usually say just smile and say "Well that's good since it's what it says on my watch!" Usually gets me a dirty look when that person walks past me while boarding but by then I'm usually politely ignoring everyone and reading on my iPad.

Last edited by canadiantransplant; Aug 14, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Plastic, Delta Silver Emeritus
Every once in a while I'll get an upgrade through some method, or another, or pay for the last minute upgrade on a flight to the same conference as a colleague. Usually no words are exchanged. They look at me curiously ("How did he get that approved?") and I salute them with my Cabernet.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:23 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I have had a lot of discussions with passengers in the front of the plane, not once has anyone ever asked about when my upgrade cleared or how I ended up in the front. Ever.

FWIW, I like the wording of the thread title, it's delightfully ambiguous.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta FO, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Gold, Nat'l Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by David Ocamb
Living in Austin TX and spending a good amount of time in the valley I find this hilarious. The entire concept that you can tell net worth based on dress or age is hilarious. To be honest it seems like those that hold it are from flyover states where they might be the richest in their city but have no concept of big money.
Remember, Warren Buffett has lived in the same house for 50 years and drives a 10 year old Caddy. A lot of people, especially the older generation of flyover country, won't ever show you how much money they have.

Because it's not anyone's business, and talking about their wealth doesn't produce any more. Just remember that as you're flying over.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
I have had a lot of discussions with passengers in the front of the plane, not once has anyone ever asked about when my upgrade cleared or how I ended up in the front. Ever.

The guy didn't mean it as a slight to me. He just assumed that 90% of the people in F got free upgrades (so odds would be that he was sitting next to someone on a free upgrade, which was true), and he was surprised that DL seems to be getting stingier with upgrades at the window. It was just a surprise to me, because its kind of an unwritten rule: you don't want to be bragging about your free upgrade on a deeply discounted coach fare next to the person who is on full fare F.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Maybe not stupid, but definitely strange, is when folks board and remark, "Oh wow, this is a small plane." I know others have written this same line, but every. single. time. this comment is made while boarding an MD-XX or 717. I would like to know what exactly it is these folks are always flying to end up on a Mad Dog and be surprised.

Also strange, not once have I heard it on a torture tube.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
I often get asked when my upgrade cleared to which I always reply with a smile "never - I bought this ticket with my hard earned money..."

I'm also a "victim" of being reprimanded by fellow passgenterswhen boarding with D1/Premium because I'm in my low 40's but look younger. I usually say just smile and say "Well that's good since it's what it says on my watch!" Usually gets me a dirty look when that person walks past me while boarding but by then I'm usually politely ignoring everyone and reading on my iPad.
Originally Posted by pvn

I have never been asked if I was upgraded either. I've discussed upgrades with fellow pax but only because one of us mentioned that they were upgraded.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by tvtd
Maybe not stupid, but definitely strange, is when folks board and remark, "Oh wow, this is a small plane." I know others have written this same line, but every. single. time. this comment is made while boarding an MD-XX or 717. I would like to know what exactly it is these folks are always flying to end up on a Mad Dog and be surprised.

Also strange, not once have I heard it on a torture tube.
I've heard it many times on a torture tube. Flying home from RAP a couple of weeks ago, a pax stepped on the aircraft, turned around and told someone to tell someone else that it was one of those really small ones. She was rather large, as was everyone else in her party. Perhaps that's not pertinent to this anecdote but the guy bringing up the rear was a giant of a man and she said it like "we're effed!"
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by yohanson
I've heard it many times on a torture tube. Flying home from RAP a couple of weeks ago, a pax stepped on the aircraft, turned around and told someone to tell someone else that it was one of those really small ones. She was rather large, as was everyone else in her party. Perhaps that's not pertinent to this anecdote but the guy bringing up the rear was a giant of a man and she said it like "we're effed!"
One of my coworkers is very large. Not obese, mind you, just, well, his frame is very large. He told me about an experience where he was flying a prop puddle jumper (don't have the exact model) and while walking up to board caught the look of the captain's mouth open in a reference to seriously questioning weight and balance. My coworker yelled to the captain (so he could hear through the glass) "I'M IN THE BACK".
yohanson likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by CBear
And how often do you find instances of your example?

Point is, the only misconception about pricing exists in the mind of the OP. He is the one who implied that in reality, it's not as expensive for the average person to afford F.
For the majority of people with no status or affiliation, who needs to get from point A-point B, there's a good chance of paying 2-5 times as much for first as for economy. That's quite a big difference. His claim about a misconception about price differences is a little off.
OK.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Originally Posted by awayIgo
"the back off the plane gets there,the same time as the front"
Unless, because they are at the back of the plane, they get bumped first. Or in an IRROPs are not put on an OAL, just a connecting flight tomorrow.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by anon2k2
My wife had not traveled much before we met. Other than finding the cheapest possible ticket to visit her parents once per year, she never flew.

We did an around-the-world trip for our honeymoon, 6 long haul segments, three in F and three in J. She was dumbfounded on our first flight on ANA from SEA-NRT. She had no idea at all that lie-flat seats even existed, or that there was a class of service that included menus and multi-course meals.

First words entering the cabin: "Holy F*ck." She's an elementary school teacher, and I think that's the first and maybe the only time I've ever heard her utter the F-bomb.

How quickly she got used to it, though. Our final international segment was DXB-SFO on an Emirates A380 in F. She looked around and said, "This looks OK, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the menu."
Having flown EK F several time I trust they did not disappoint, especially after the shower.

Most annoying to me is people I am traveling with trying to make me feel bad as they walk past me to whatever is behind the curtain. Not ever going to happen!!!!
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, UA Lifetime GS, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz Five-Star Pres Circle
I always try to get the window seat so I can just fall asleep and ignore the chatter. If they don't like that I get upgraded or pay for first or business class, that's their problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.