Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are the most stupid things you have heard people say when walking through F/J?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
I'm younger and certainly don't dress the part (T-shirt, sweatpants, cargo shorts, etc.) when traveling for leisure and most of my leisure trips are in premium cabins. However, I've never noticed any scornful facial expressions or snarky comments from fellow passengers, but I'm also not assuming I'll receive the stink eye for fitting a certain profile. I hate to judge, but after reading several posts in this thread, it almost seems that many people fitting a certain appearance (casual) and demographic (young) seem to be overly suspicious of potentially benign actions and expressions of other fellow travelers.
Xeno, T/BE20/G and trooper like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:51 am

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Originally Posted by rendezvous
I'm younger and certainly don't dress the part (T-shirt, sweatpants, cargo shorts, etc.) when traveling for leisure and most of my leisure trips are in premium cabins. However, I've never noticed any scornful facial expressions or snarky comments from fellow passengers, but I'm also not assuming I'll receive the stink eye for fitting a certain profile. I hate to judge, but after reading several posts in this thread, it almost seems that many people fitting a certain appearance (casual) and demographic (young) seem to be overly suspicious of potentially benign actions and expressions of other fellow travelers.
Probably something in this, I am in my early thirties and even in my early twenties when travelling international J dressed very casually (night flights etc) I never experienced any issues (or maybe I was oblivious?).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by synergistic
I'm not certain I'm onboard with tying FC seating to net worth - but I agree with the sentiment, at least. I'm probably better judged by my luggage than my attire, but I honestly just don't waste a lot of time worrying about the sorts of people that judge me on either.

Regardless, my flip flops and I are just as deserving of those hard won upgrades as the other road warrior in a nice suit, and both of us have just as much right to be there as the wealthy couple wearing... I dunno, what do 'wealthy' people wear? ;-)
Trying to board in PREM the GA had no desire to keep order. People were lined up on the carpet to the left (in the sky priority line) for SKY, Zone 1, etc. and everyone boarding in PREM had to squeeze through on the right. Also wheelchair employees chose to try to jam through the sky priority line instead of going through the empty general boarding line to make things worse. This is at the D40-43 gates where its cramped to begin with. On top of that had somebody swing their bag into me (pretty hard too) trying to push through to board. I said where are you going I am in line, they looked at me disgusted and said "what? are YOU actually flying in first class?" I just looked at them and simply said "yes, and I paid for it not miles either". They did the "oh sorry" so I said the people behind me, and the couple behind them are boarding for FC too so the line is back there.

They didnt like that answer very much.......

This was a repost from a different thread where I forgot to put in the highlighted part before.

My shorts, sneakers, and t shirt apparently are not deserving of flying up front. I hate flying in suits, and will only do it on those fly up in the morning home in the evening type work trips.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
My shorts, sneakers, and t shirt apparently are not deserving of flying up front. I hate flying in suits, and will only do it on those fly up in the morning home in the evening type work trips.
These days, I see more and more suits trudging back to C+ while regularly dressed people occupy FC. I guess FCM is working.

My dress code when flying is usually nice jeans and a short-sleeve collared shirt. Sometimes I go with a shirt and tie, along with dress shoes, depending on the day. I used to hear an occasional quip when I was younger and wore regular clothes. I haven't heard anything in a while though.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Currently, about the only thing you can reliably infer from someone's presence in an F/J cabin is the row number on their boarding pass. Likewise, the only thing you can reliably infer from how someone is dressed during boarding is the style of clothes they are wearing.

​​​
SeaHawg likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by rendezvous
Yes, this is par for the course, people here routinely fabricate narratives for all sorts of reasons, but the theme is pretty consistent.
trooper likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
I have had a lot of discussions with passengers in the front of the plane, not once has anyone ever asked about when my upgrade cleared or how I ended up in the front. Ever.

FWIW, I like the wording of the thread title, it's delightfully ambiguous.
I have been asked on a few occasions. Usually it is whether I got upgraded (rarely). Been asked many times if I am a Diamond or not (I am not).

If I am up front it is usually from a FCM offer.

Don't ever recall anyone saying anything snarky to me or hearing anything out of the realm of normalcy when people are boarding.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:35 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
These days, I see more and more suits trudging back to C+ while regularly dressed people occupy FC. I guess FCM is working.
amazing
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:37 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
Currently, about the only thing you can reliably infer from someone's presence in an F/J cabin is the row number on their boarding pass. Likewise, the only thing you can reliably infer from how someone is dressed during boarding is the style of clothes they are wearing.

​​​
Oh, there are definitely a bunch of nosey busybodies who are totally upfront about the fact that they will read other people's boarding pass, probably closely enough to see the fare class and figure out if they're (approximately) on a paid fare or an award or an upgrade.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, WN A-List, AA Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
That is one thing that I really don't care about or pay attention to: how people are dressed in the premium cabin. I usually wear jeans and a collared shirt, but that's about as dressed up as I get in the first place (and shorts are not unheard of either, shame on me). I don't even think I own a decent suit besides some over the counter $99 jacket (but I do wear nice dress shirts and will go for a business casual look) as I don't need one in my profession so that wouldn't even be an option for me.

Come to think of it, I am really NOT the typical F/J flier.

Last edited by Dennis88; Aug 15, 2017 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The stupidest things I hear aren't directed at the passenger seats. Often I've heard "what a nice landing the captain made". What in the world makes you think the captain was the one flying? They seem truly shocked to find out the FO is flying 50% of the time. Their stupidly really showed during that "emergency" landing in LAS a couple of years ago when the captain got locked out of the flight deck due to a malfunctioning door. The public seemed to think it was nothing short of a miracle that the FO landed the plane all by himself.
T/BE20/G and Great_circle like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by pvn
Oh, there are definitely a bunch of nosey busybodies who are totally upfront about the fact that they will read other people's boarding pass, probably closely enough to see the fare class and figure out if they're (approximately) on a paid fare or an award or an upgrade.
This is precisely why I'm grateful that we can now carry boarding passes on our phones and watches (preferred method for me).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
In an era of hoodie-wearing young tech billionaires, anyone who thinks that they can infer anything about someone's wealth or status based upon how they are dressed is an idiot.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
My favorite response to a stranger who asks me an intrusive, personal or insinuating question about anything-age,status,price,etc is to look them in the eye and ask them"Can you keep a secret?", and as these stranger susually acquiesce, I tell them "So can I". I never get a follow up question after that.
FlyingNone and Burj like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CBear
Long haul international vs short haul domestic. Please point me to a long haul route where the difference between Y and F is $50.
CDG - Caribbean around Christmas time. In the last 3 years it has been cheaper to buy a Z fare 50 days in advance than what DL offers at this point of sale in Economy (usually Y/B/M priced 50-100 Euros higher than Z).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.