Wiki Posts
Search

More 737-900's For Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:22 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by bennos
At the oneworld Mega DO, we got to tour Boeing's product showroom, which included a mockup of the 787 (which was not yet in commercial service, IIRC). Boeing had it set up in an absurd 3-2-3 layout, claiming that when middle seats were empty it would provide more comfort. While perhaps technically true, when I asked the Boeing representative how often they expected the middles to be empty, their answer didn't seem to reflect reality.

Furthermore, at that time at least a few airlines had already been operating 777s in 10 across configurations. There's no way Boeing didn't expect the 787 to go 9 across, unless they were completely out of touch with their market, which I guess is plausible given the proposed 3-2-3 config.
3-2-3 is hilarious. Two middle seats and two pax have to climb over two other pax to get up. Two more pax have to climb over one pax to get up. How on earth it beats 2-4-2 where nobody has to climb over two other people is completely beyond me.

Originally Posted by Beckles
Are you willing to pay more to fly the A321 than the 737-900? Of course those here on FT maybe would be willing to, but a lot of customers probably wouldn't know the difference between those planes and a DC-3 during the booking process.
I am, and I think many other FlyerTalkers are, but you're completely right about most passengers. Almost all non-frequent fliers buy 100% on price, which means that airlines compete on little except price which leads to things like the survival of the 739 and 17" seats. CX and SQ are victims of this, unable to command a price premium in economy for their superior product.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
I can only assume the economics of the A321 are not as good as the 737-900's ... otherwise Delta wouldn't have bought them.
Delta has 19 A321's and 63 more to come. Obviously Boeing gave Delta a great deal on 737-900's, as the plane (with 76 now and 54 more to come) will replace many MD88's, 757's, and domestic 767's.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
What is the problem with the A321 bins? I don't use the overhead but I haven't noticed any particular trouble other people are having when I fly on them.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
What is the problem with the A321 bins? I don't use the overhead but I haven't noticed any particular trouble other people are having when I fly on them.
I don't know about Delta's overhead bins on the 321's since they must have a third party installing them but Airbus is delivering factory fresh planes with overhead bins from the 80's. I guess they've never heard about pivot bins.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:42 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't know about Delta's overhead bins on the 321's since they must have a third party installing them but Airbus is delivering factory fresh planes with overhead bins from the 80's. I guess they've never heard about pivot bins.
The Delta A321's have pivot bins that do not accommodate standard size rollaboards on their side as they were supposed to (basically you can get the bag in the bin, but the bin will not close), they were not designed and/or tested properly. Because of this Delta A321's have less practical overheard capacity than if they had used 'old' A321 bins.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:52 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
maybe your bag is just too big
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by pvn
maybe your bag is just too big
Actually, my trip was ATL-MCO-ATL and I check my bags on those trips (vacation to Orlando with the family with kids and car seats and such), during boarding the FA's made multiple announcements that bags would not fit in as shown on the placards as I witnessed people usuccessfully try and close the bins with bags put in as the placards showed. This thread has multiple reports from others of similar experiences. In
you can hear the FA giving the warning to lie bags flat and not on their side at the 25 second mark.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
739 is simply a terrible plane. Flown it on all US operators and it sucks all around. The problem is I think Boeing snowed over most of the airlines post financial crisis and convinced them that the operating costs were too good to pass up.

As mentioned the Airbus narrowbodies are 7" wider and it's totally noticeable. So much so that as mentioned I will take different flights just to be on them. They great aircraft.

Hopefully the MOM becomes reality because flying 739's is not something I will do regularly going forward.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Successfully SDC'd to an 321/75D itinerary. Better on both legs than a 739!
Old Apr 23, 2017, 3:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
With so many of you reusing to fly on the 737's we should begin to see more middle seats open. That is far better than an extra 0.5 in of seat width.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by mother-
Successfully SDC'd to an 321/75D itinerary. Better on both legs than a 739!
Well-played! I have a 739 booked from SJU-ATL a couple weeks out - a 75D with Y space is departing 1:15 earlier. I will not SDC if and only if the wife's and my upgrade clear at the window, and space on rows 2-4 are available (for me at least).

I would rather slum it in the back of a 75D than near the front on a 739 despite the same horrid slimlines.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
With so many of you reusing to fly on the 737's we should begin to see more middle seats open. That is far better than an extra 0.5 in of seat width.
I'm doing my part to alleviate the crowding on the concentration camp-in-the-sky
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
739 is one of my least favorites. Had the "pleasure" of an upgrade to 1A on the way home from SFO and there is NO LEG ROOM in this seat! Should have kept my 10A. Combine this with a 50% chance of a bumpy landing and this plane just sucks.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:03 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
0.8" wider.

And revenue management will quickly fill those seats with kettles. Enjoy.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I avoid this flying concentration camp in the sky like the plague.
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I'm doing my part to alleviate the crowding on the concentration camp-in-the-sky
I am really not one to go PC on people or be easily offended and ask you not to use trigger words or demand that FT create safe spaces, but I would just ask that you reconsider the use of that phrase in the future. I understand some folks find the 737-900ER an unpleasant flying experience, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice trying to make that analogy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.