Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More 737-900's For Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mother-
I book away from the horrible things for any flights over 90 minutes. If I'm not the only one, that will have an impact on the fares they get.
Purely anecdata but from time to time DL works a 739 into the MSP-DEN schedule, and it does seem to have lower fares on the -900 flight, when I look (and then book away from it). Now, that may be a function of having more of the lowest fare class seats per sortie since the plane has more total seats: +20 in Y vs the MSP-DEN workhorse MD90.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
I turned 23 this week. Is that old enough?

I always loved air travel but I didn't start flying heavily until my senior year of college.

I fly a lot of A330s but they all have had the new seats.

I always wanted to fly a DC-9 but never got the chance Maybe when I was too young to keep track.

Most of my flying as a kid seemed to be on NW 757s, 737s, and regional planes.
As a college student in GFK during 2000-2006 I remember the DC9 fondly. It was really fun when GFK closed their main runway for repairs for about 6 months. In the meantime NW had to land at GFAFB. It meant loading the DC9 from the drop down stairs in the tail cone. Got wet plenty of times, but loved those boardings.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
I avoid this flying concentration camp in the sky like the plague. They're usually cramped, hot, and the lav design makes no sense.

There may be 10-20 decent seats out of 180 on this plane- I typically don't mind flying on any DL-configured plane except for this one. It is the only aircraft I will SDC out of with regularity.

I'm hoping these already nearly-obsolete birds can at least be a placeholder for the MAX order (if there is one) and that DL isn't actually serious about adding more of the 739's to an already bloated count.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Even the DL 737 pilots I know hate these things... they fly like dogs...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Even the DL 737 pilots I know hate these things... they fly like dogs...

Given how stretched they are and their landing gear design, I'm amazed that DL hasn't had any tail or winglet strikes yet.

Taking a good portion of the runway to complete the takeoff roll, combined with a very shallow climb angle, and a fast landing speed makes me nervous every time I'm on one of these, and I'm not a nervous flyer. It seems they land "harder" imo. Last flight I was on in one of these, a pax behind me yelled "Jesus!" when we landed rough. It's just not a fun plane to ride in.

I hope Boeing gets serious about a 757 replacement- The A321 is a far better aircraft than the 739, imo.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:39 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
I avoid this flying concentration camp in the sky like the plague. They're usually cramped, hot, and the lav design makes no sense.

There may be 10-20 decent seats out of 180 on this plane- I typically don't mind flying on any DL-configured plane except for this one. It is the only aircraft I will SDC out of with regularity.

I'm hoping these already nearly-obsolete birds can at least be a placeholder for the MAX order (if there is one) and that DL isn't actually serious about adding more of the 739's to an already bloated count.
Why on earth do you think the MAX will be better? I don't want any more 737s period.

Given how stretched they are and their landing gear design, I'm amazed that DL hasn't had any tail or winglet strikes yet.

Taking a good portion of the runway to complete the takeoff roll, combined with a very shallow climb angle, and a fast landing speed makes me nervous every time I'm on one of these, and I'm not a nervous flyer. It seems they land "harder" imo. Last flight I was on in one of these, a pax behind me yelled "Jesus!" when we landed rough. It's just not a fun plane to ride in.

I hope Boeing gets serious about a 757 replacement- The A321 is a far better aircraft than the 739, imo.
Agreed. I've never had harder landings than in a 739. The inability to properly flare right before touchdown and the high landing speed make for bone-rattling touchdowns. I have heard passengers yell and exclaim as well. It's bad enough that I've learned to actually set my head against the headrest right before we hit.

If only Delta would order the A320neo and A321neo instead. I can dream, right?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by C W
Why on earth do you think the MAX will be better? I don't want any more 737s period.

Agreed. I've never had harder landings than in a 739. The inability to properly flare right before touchdown and the high landing speed make for bone-rattling touchdowns. I have heard passengers yell and exclaim as well. It's bad enough that I've learned to actually set my head against the headrest right before we hit.

If only Delta would order the A320neo and A321neo instead. I can dream, right?
I don't know that the MAX will be any better, but I find it hard to believe that it could be worse. Honestly, I really don't like any configuration of the 737 past the 700.

They could have 34" pitch with 18"+ wide seats, and the plane still wouldn't feel comfortable to me.

As far as the A320, I like it better than the 73, but I always get this weird sensation like I'm flying sideways in them. Perhaps it's just my imagination, but I did have a pilot once tell me that the fuselage bends somewhat on the older 320's- maybe I'm not completely crazy haha!
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:00 pm
C W

I don't know that the MAX will be any better, but I find it hard to believe that it could be worse. Honestly, I really don't like any configuration of the 737 past the 700.
I like this logic But honestly I think it can get worse. Even if they're tweaking the wing it's still the same miserable fuselage width they can always come up with more interior "enhancements" like the 739 bathrooms.

I honestly cannot fathom why they're still tweaking this horrid 50-year old platform. Although I suppose I should be carful what I wish for because a clean sheet design would probably have a 6" narrower cabin...

They could have 34" pitch with 18"+ wide seats, and the plane still wouldn't feel comfortable to me.
Same here. Even in First something just feels really wrong. I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles and every time taking off in a 739 gives me anxiety. It's unlike any other plane in how pathetically underpowered it is. Feels like we're going to overshoot the runway or fall out of the sky.

As far as the A320, I like it better than the 73, but I always get this weird sensation like I'm flying sideways in them. Perhaps it's just my imagination, but I did have a pilot once tell me that the fuselage bends somewhat on the older 320's- maybe I'm not completely crazy haha!
This I cannot say I relate to, but an incredibly interesting feeling on your part. In an A320 I generally feel very very happy to not be in a 737
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by C W
I honestly cannot fathom why they're still tweaking this horrid 50-year old platform.
Southwest

[QUOTE/]Same here. Even in First something just feels really wrong.[/QUOTE]

Feeling wrong like the person in front of you reclining into your lap to the point where you can smell the brand of shampoo they used that morning?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:13 pm
C W

Southwest

Like I need another reason to hate that insufferable airline!

I would rather fly Spirit than one of those demented school buses. At least on Spirit you know where you're sitting and while both Southwest and Spirit will be late, Spirit at least has the IT to track your inbound plane instead of just adding 30 minute delays every 30 minutes for a 3 hour delay. And of course you can't leave the gate area with SW because then you'll be stuck in a middle seat in the back between two enormous flu-ridden leisure travelers.

And you're in an Airbus on Spirit

Feeling wrong like the person in front of you reclining into your lap to the point where you can smell the brand of shampoo they used that morning?
Something like that
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I am sitting right now on an Alaska -900 and you folks are starting to get me worried about the landing.

I am in Row 3 and WAS enjoying my last-ever MQM's on AS from Baltimore to Seattle. I now have my eyes on the forward lavatory but have decided not to use it, on your advice.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:15 pm
C W

Originally Posted by Justin026
I am sitting right now on an Alaska -900 and you folks are starting to get me worried about the landing.

I am in Row 3 and WAS enjoying my last-ever MQM's on AS from Baltimore to Seattle. I now have my eyes on the forward lavatory but have decided not to use it, on your advice.
Brace.

Thankfully you're in front so you're not sitting over the gear where it's the worst. Prepare for screams from the back.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:24 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who despises WN- I still have the Companion Pass, but I used to fly them and United exclusively. Southwest lately has been trash, and United seems to be one bad PR move away from imploding.

Once I burn off the last hundred thousand or so WN miles and numerous delay/cancellation vouchers, I'm going to move away except for the shortest of hauls. Their operations have been bad almost every time I've flown them, and cutesy flight attendants handing out a thimble full of peanuts and a half a cup of water don't cut it when my day is screwed up.

Rant off- Back to the 73, had WN wanted the 75 to be better developed, it would have relegated the 73 to the ash heap of history long ago.

The 75 is just a far superior plane that no one has been able to replicate.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Justin026

Row 3 aisle may be the best row/seat on that aircraft. You will be fine. I was row 26 aisle on a last-second booking w/no C+ or F/or SDC available last flight, and it was unnerving.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:38 pm
C W

I'm glad I'm not the only one who despises WN- I still have the Companion Pass, but I used to fly them and United exclusively. Southwest lately has been trash, and United seems to be one bad PR move away from imploding.

Once I burn off the last hundred thousand or so WN miles and numerous delay/cancellation vouchers, I'm going to move away except for the shortest of hauls. Their operations have been bad almost every time I fly them, and cutesy flight attendants handing out a thimble full of peanuts and a half a cup of water don't cut it when my day is screwed up.

Rant off- Back to the 73, had WN wanted the 75 to be better developed, it would have relegated the 73 to the ash heap of history long ago.

The 75 is just a far superior plane that no one has been able to replicate.
I already finished my purge of WN vouchers etc. Never, ever again. Glad we both got that off our chests

It's a shame about the 737's continued existence though. I'd guess Ryanair had a similar influence.

I'm delighted that Delta has ordered the CS100 and would love to see them convert orders into the CS300. If Bombardier could do an even larger 3-3 model with up to 180 seats I think it would really pressure Airbus and Boeing to do better in the segment. After all both companies cheaped out on the neo and MAX with no new fuselages and little new passenger-facing technology like the A350 and 787 (despite that plane's horrible economy seating). I'm nervous Boeing would do a horrible clean sheet with 16.5" seats totally geared towards LCCs, but I think Airbus could do incredibly well in the segment with a totally new wing and some composites. Sadly both are stuck with in current designs for likely a few decades

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.