Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can't purchase EC seats in advance, since the E fare restricts any seat selection.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
My recollection of pre-deregulation days is somewhat fuzzy. But, as I recall, flexibility really wasn't in the mix, largely due to the technology. There was F, Y, some form of round-trip and eventually advance purchase. I also don't recall that seat selection ocurred prior to check-in (and that, of course, ocurred at the counter close to flight time).

It wasn't until well after deregulation that the concept of multiple fare buckets became a reality.

European airlines have long offered fares which cannot be changed and which retain no value if not flown exactly as booked. Again, these fares are not for all. But, they are a great opportunity for those where a few bucks makes the difference.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
To me, I used to think E Fares were a total joke. However, since the Change Fee has been raised to $200, there may be some practical applications where if you can endure not having a seat assignment ahead, it might not be that bad to just get an E Fare.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ATL787
Just wait til they show up on all routes all the time including international fares that will pack a seat selection upcharge of a few hundred bucks or more. That will go over really well. I'm sure all of the OP bashers will gladly pay the extra.
I've plunked around on Norwegian's web site to see how cheap I could put together a Florida-Scandanavia route, and their seat selection fee is pretty modest- $40-$60 range, or less than what it takes to get my kettle self an EC seat to go across the pond. And WN charges something like $15 early boarding each way to give yourself a quite good shot at grabbing an aisle exit row. I doubt the legacy market would bear 'a few hundred bucks more' for a seat guarantee when the LCs seem to have already dialed it in as a relatively low upcharge in order to maximize their revenue on that option.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:52 am
Suspended

While people fixate on seat assignments, the bigger conditions of the E fare is that they are non-refundable and non-changeable. In other words, you fly them exactly as booked or there is no residual credit, either in the form of a refund or a credit.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
While people fixate on seat assignments, the bigger conditions of the E fare is that they are non-refundable and non-changeable. In other words, you fly them exactly as booked or there is no residual credit, either in the form of a refund or a credit.
Which is the exact opposite of a $89 Southwest fare in the PBI-ATL market. Fully changeable with a $0 change fee (up to 1h? before departure these days, I think).
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:03 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus
Which is the exact opposite of a $89 Southwest fare in the PBI-ATL market. Fully changeable with a $0 change fee (up to 1h? before departure these days, I think).
Not that it really matters much to the original post, but, you can change or cancel a SW ticket up to 10 minutes prior to departure time (from what they told me a coup'la months ago), but, while there's no penalty, you DO hafto upfare to whatever the walk up fare is from whatever discount advance purchase fare you may have bought.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 2:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BackOfTheBus
Will WN still honor the $89 fare or doesn't WN hit you for the upfare as it's way of saying that changes are penalty free?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Will WN still honor the $89 fare or doesn't WN hit you for the upfare as it's way of saying that changes are penalty free?
When you change a DL reservation at the last minute and have to pay a higher fare price on top of the change fee, do you regard the incremental fare paid to DL to be a "penalty" for making the change?

Does DL call the incremental fare a penalty?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
When you change a DL reservation at the last minute and have to pay a higher fare price on top of the change fee, do you regard the incremental fare paid to DL to be a "penalty" for making the change?

Does DL call the incremental fare a penalty?
Not sure what that has to do with my question about WN (which still hasn't been answered).

But, to answer yours, no. DL does not charge a fare difference on SDC and the SDC fee is waived for elites and is pretty low for the rest.

Hope somebody can supply the WN answer.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Not sure what that has to do with my question about WN (which still hasn't been answered).

Did you happen to read my post (#52) right above yours, or do you simply not believe me?

Originally Posted by davetravels
Not that it really matters much to the original post, but, you can change or cancel a SW ticket up to 10 minutes prior to departure time (from what they told me a coup'la months ago), but, while there's no penalty, you DO hafto upfare to whatever the walk up fare is from whatever discount advance purchase fare you may have bought.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
OMG... I... agree with Bubba

+1
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:48 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
"E" fares are like flying Spirit without the ability to change flights or pay up to a better seat.

Actually that makes "E" fares "Spirit Minus"!

or Spirit is actually "E"+ !
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

But, to answer yours, no. DL does not charge a fare difference on SDC and the SDC fee is waived for elites and is pretty low for the rest.

I read your question to be an implication that WN was being disingenuous with the claim of no penalties for reservation changes... that the upfare was, in effect, a penalty.

I pointed out that a last minute change in DL would incur both a change fee and, likely an upfare. And, no, I was not talking about SDC.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
"E" fares are like flying Spirit without the ability to change flights or pay up to a better seat.

Actually that makes "E" fares "Spirit Minus"!

or Spirit is actually "E"+ !
I don't think UA would like you calling spirit's seats "E+"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.