E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
OMG... I... agree with Bubba
I know shocking.

BTW unless these indications were added in the last few days i'm not sure how much more obvious delta needs to be to show these are Extremely restricted. You cant miss it

Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM Reserve
OP here, just checking in.

Surprised that this thread has survived this long. Thank you mods, thank you haters, thank you lurkers, and thank you few supporters.

I keep checking the route I booked, as my OCD compels me to do with every ticket that I have ever booked, and damned if that E fare won't go away!!! (Thank you DL employed lurks, particularly in the revenue management LOB)

What my simple mind just can't grasp, is, why in the world has the seat selection vs. non-seat selection fare value proposition dropped to a mere $11 rt? And why do you mock me with a view of the seating chart midway through the booking process without reminding me that I can't pick or buy one prior to check-in? (Take a look for yourself with a mock booking, if you care to see what I'm talking about)

This I understand is a pricing/rev management/competitive mkt response/business decision, but me thinks that it is one that will piss just a few more off than it gains with a 'cheap' sale matching fare (and as a longtime airline enthusiast in more ways than 12, I'm not just referring to the loyal and or FT base customer). Fine, go ahead and remove seat selection privileges from your cheapest fares, but make it damn clear in bold flashing highlighted letters in every step along the way.

Comments welcome....particularly from the official DL reps on FT...I know you must have an opinion as well?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by CDKing
I know shocking.

BTW unless these indications were added in the last few days i'm not sure how much more obvious delta needs to be to show these are Extremely restricted. You cant miss it

Originally Posted by ATL787
OP here, just checking in.

Surprised that this thread has survived this long. Thank you mods, thank you haters, thank you lurkers, and thank you few supporters.

I keep checking the route I booked, as my OCD compels me to do with every ticket that I have ever booked, and damned if that E fare won't go away!!! (Thank you DL employed lurks, particularly in the revenue management LOB)

What my simple mind just can't grasp, is, why in the world has the seat selection vs. non-seat selection fare value proposition dropped to a mere $11 rt? And why do you mock me with a view of the seating chart midway through the booking process without reminding me that I can't pick or buy one prior to check-in? (Take a look for yourself with a mock booking, if you care to see what I'm talking about)

This I understand is a pricing/rev management/competitive mkt response/business decision, but me thinks that it is one that will piss just a few more off than it gains with a 'cheap' sale matching fare (and as a longtime airline enthusiast in more ways than 12, I'm not just referring to the loyal and or FT base customer). Fine, go ahead and remove seat selection privileges from your cheapest fares, but make it damn clear in bold flashing highlighted letters in every step along the way.

Comments welcome....particularly from the official DL reps on FT...I know you must have an opinion as well?
As you can clearly see from the screen shot above, for a little more $, you can book V. If you want to save the 20 bucks, book E. The terms for doing so are VERY CLEARLY spelled out. Why is it insulting to you for them to give you this option? I personally wouldn't book an E fare, but why should people who need to save that extra 20 bucks not get the option?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:56 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
I'm into FCM, E fare purchasers are the opposite. I paid $40 extra on my last flight for a refundable ticket. Getting the seat I want and being able to change has value to me.

Some people want the least expensive option. Something for everyone.

Just don't buy an E fare then squat in my seat but that's another topic.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by puddinhead
I'm into FCM, E fare purchasers are the opposite. I paid $40 extra on my last flight for a refundable ticket. Getting the seat I want and being able to change has value to me.

Some people want the least expensive option. Something for everyone.

THANK. YOU. ^^^^^

(bolding added)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, HY-PL, National-Executive Elite, Hilton - Gold, Marriot-Gold, IGH-Gold
Can I ask, how does one even FIND an E fare!?!?!?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Wink

What exactly does DAL gain from not allowing seat assignments and not letting someone on an E fare purchase EC? I could understand if you have to pay for seat assignment on an E fare but to simply charge less and restrict more, what is DL gaining?

also, do E fares earn miles?
People will take aisle and window seats towards the front if given the choice. This free up those seats for people who might be looking at 2-3 airlines with similar prices on a route. If DL has more desirable seats and/or more groups of seats together (for families) then they may book DL. With EC and preferred seats, half the plane is already off limits to non elites.

Also having a small chunk of the plane with unassigned seats gives GAs more flexibility to accommodate medallions in IRROPPS or families trying to sit together.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by bjohnsonmn
Can I ask, how does one even FIND an E fare!?!?!?
It's not available on all routes but when it is, it comes up on the fare display as shown above. Do a search for wherever DL1604 goes and you will see it.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by roknroll
People will take aisle and window seats towards the front if given the choice. This free up those seats for people who might be looking at 2-3 airlines with similar prices on a route. If DL has more desirable seats and/or more groups of seats together (for families) then they may book DL. With EC and preferred seats, half the plane is already off limits to non elites.

Also having a small chunk of the plane with unassigned seats gives GAs more flexibility to accommodate medallions in IRROPPS or families trying to sit together.
now this makes sense Thx
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As mentioned, the E fares tend to be on certain leisure routes where there is competition from 'low cost' leisure type airlines such as Allegiant, Sun Country etc.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CDKing
I know shocking.

Route?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
why are these more likely to fill the back than a V fare?
Because they cost less.

I understand that as the cost goes down the restrictions go up... my question is what does DL have to gain from restricting seat selections?
What do airlines have to gain by restricting fares to people who stay over a Saturday night? They want to sell to people who are very price-sensitive without giving the lower prices to those who are willing to pay more.

My question was essentially wondering why they would deviate from the established pattern... I'm curious why an E fare would be profitable for them
They probably figure they're selling a ticket for a seat that would otherwise go empty.

Originally Posted by ATL787
What my simple mind just can't grasp, is, why in the world has the seat selection vs. non-seat selection fare value proposition dropped to a mere $11 rt?
Presumably because that's just enough of a discount to get just enough people to buy it.

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Don't squat in my seat no matter what fare you bought. Unless, that is, you bought an F or J fare and my seat is in Y; then you're welcome to squat in my seat and let me have yours.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming a purchase in the Y-cabin, it costs the same to fly one passenger from A-B. Yet, the fare discrimination for that seat between A-B can amount to 8-10x. Consumers, of course, want the cheapest seat which meets their need and the seller has a duty to maximize shareholder value.

It costs DL nothing to assign a seat in advance, but some people will pay for that privilege. Whether the V costs more or the E costs less is semantics.

Maybe there is a market out there for unassigned seats, no refunds, no changes, no miles, no segments and no carry-on other than a book to read. If there is and DL offers such a fare, why is it wrong? It may be wrong for you, but not wrong for others.

OP's essential complaint isn't that there are E fares, it is that he didn't pay sufficient attention.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Route?
That's the early morning DTW-FLL. There can't be much more of a tourist oriented route than that one and I believe it to be the response to NK encroaching on DL's turf.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Because they cost less.
I meant specifically why the back of the plane, not why would people buy them... the previous few posts answered my question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.