E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM Reserve
E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Just got a taste of my first experience booking an E Fare. What a joke.

Yes, I searched, and saw another newly started thread that was locked and told to follow this topic in the longer "E...finally answered??" thread (which jumps from July 2013 to the present day in a matter of 2 posts).

In my laziness, I didn't notice the "seat assigned at check-in" rule (elites, included) attached to this discounted fare. Fine, I thought, I guess I can just call and ask a Medallion desk agent for a seat assignment.

Nada, absolutley refused to give me a seat assignment. Instead, was offered to send me over to the help desk to see if they could rebook me at the cheapest available Economy fare with seat assignment capabilities (only a $72 upcharge per ticket). Told her it is hardly worth it, and tried not to laugh.

I guess I should have expected this response given all of the improvements that DL has made over the last 12 months.

Happy Booking!

Interested to hear other's experience booking these fares, whether intentional or accidental.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Soon, anything that is not mandated by the FAA or DOT will cost extra. I sure hope the FAA mandates lav access. Though I bet they don't mandate whether DL could offer "priority lav access" with an Amex card wherein kettles would think they can go to the lav first only to find out they are in the 5th group that will be allowed into the lav. Or offering upgrades to potable water.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by ATL787

Yes, I searched, and saw another newly started thread that was locked and told to follow this topic in the longer "E...finally answered??" thread (which jumps from July 2013 to the present day in a matter of 2 posts).

In my laziness, I didn't notice the "seat assigned at check-in" rule (elites, included) attached to this discounted fare. Fine, I thought, I guess I can just call and ask a Medallion desk agent for a seat assignment.

Nada, absolutley refused to give me a seat assignment. Instead, was offered to send me over to the help desk to see if they could rebook me at the cheapest available Economy fare with seat assignment capabilities (only a $72 upcharge per ticket). Told her it is hardly worth it, and tried not to laugh.

I guess I should have expected this response given all of the improvements that DL has made over the last 12 months.

Happy Booking!

Interested to hear other's experience booking these fares, whether intentional or accidental.
So...you bought a fare with clear restrictions, didn't want those restrictions, were offered the chance to re-fare with NO penalty, but that isn't good enough? I really fail to see the problem.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
What a joke.
But it was a CHEAP joke. [rimshot]
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT

Happy Booking!

Where's the joke? These E-fares have been around nearly two years. You booked it and then wanted an exception to the rules, and as noted above, were given the opportunity to do so without incurring a change fee on a ticket that according to the fare rules can't be cancelled or changed (ie, if you don't fly you and want to cancel, you lose the entire ticket and if you need to change, you have to buy a whole new ticket and can't apply the value towards a new one). The fact that DL was willing to simply upfare for you without telling you to go pound sand and buy a new ticket or even charge a change fee was a pretty nice offer from DL, IMO).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by bubbashow
So...you bought a fare with clear restrictions, didn't want those restrictions, were offered the chance to re-fare with NO penalty, but that isn't good enough? I really fail to see the problem.
I fail to see the problem as well.

I just booked my very first E fare and will travel on it within the next few weeks. I do not like not having a seat assignment in advance; but then again I was not willing to pay the significant difference in cost for the next class up on a flight whose duration is not all that long.

I can use the cost savings on something more useful to me than an assigned seat and — unlikely as the possibility may be — I still have a chance for an upgrade.

I have sat in the middle seat in the last row of the aircraft on a “buddy pass.” I certainly did not like it; but again — for a short flight — I really did not care...

...and guess what? I survived — and I will survive this flight as well.

The only thing is that what I paid for this E-fare used to be a sale price on the route on which I am flying — which included an assigned seat — but what can I do other than drive, walk or travel by bus or train?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Yes, the restriction is clear to me, now. It was not clear to me (I clearly didn't notice it) when I booked the fare.

I believe you didn't see a problem here, because there isn't a problem. (I love it when the 2nd or 3rd reply discusses the probem they personally find with the OP, always makes for a great thread)

E Fares, however, are huge bleep'n joke. I mean, come on, DL, you slip in a new fare with a no seat assignments rule that applies to Elites, as well? And then you try to sell me on it? This is a route and schedule that I am almost garuanteed to get an Upgrade, so I don't (emphasis added) really care, but to me the whole thing is a joke (emphasis added).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
The fare is a joke, but you prefer it to the standard fares when given a choice?

Yes, this is a joke.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Yes, the restriction is clear to me, now. It was not clear to me (I clearly didn't notice it) when I booked the fare.

I believe you didn't see a problem here, because there isn't a problem. (I love it when the 2nd or 3rd reply discusses the probem they personally find with the OP, always makes for a great thread)

E Fares, however, are huge bleep'n joke. I mean, come on, DL, you slip in a new fare with a no seat assignments rule that applies to Elites, as well? And then you try to sell me on it? This is a route and schedule that I am almost garuanteed to get an Upgrade, so I don't (emphasis added) really care, but to me the whole thing is a joke (emphasis added).
If you think they're a joke, then don't book one. Sounds like a pretty simple solution to me.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold

The search page on DL.com shows the following restrictions clearly before you select an E fare:

-Nonrefundable
-No Changes
-Seats assigned at check-in

I even did a quick check on Orbitz.com, and it shows the restrictions before booking too.

Not sure I see the issue either. The restrictions are clearly shown during booking, and the OP shouldn't think an exception would be made for seats.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
E fares are by no means a joke.

In return for giving up any form of a refund (including a credit), any possibility of a change and an advance seat assignment (outside of OLCI), you get a dirt cheap ticket. That appeals to some people, largely those who otherwise could not afford to fly. But, it is a bad idea for the business traveler or anyone who needs any form of flexibility.

OP admits that he didn't "notice" the fare conditions. That is not on DL. It's a perfectly understandable error, but it is OP's error, not DL's. I suspect that those who intentionally book E fares are quite happy with them and it seems to be a good thing to at least make the offer so that consumers can make their own choices.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

I'm confused. If there isn't a problem, why did you post what you did? It seems like you are saying that you have a problem with E-fares and I think that is how many of us are seeing it.

And as has been pointed out, this isn't a new fare. New to you maybe, but not a new fare. I am curious though why you feel it is a joke? I say that trying to understand your perspective on this. Clearly you don't like the idea of the E-fare but it works for many. I'm just not seeing how or why it is a "joke".
Old Mar 18, 2014, 2:52 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I mean, come on, DL, you slip in a new fare with a no seat assignments rule that applies to Elites, as well?
Sorry, OP, that you accidentally got stuck with this, but it's DEFINITELY NOT a new fare. . . .

It IS a Spirit Air matching fare, usually in their (mostly) leisure markets. I hava buddy who flies Spirit from LBE (Latrobe/Greensburg) east of Pittsburgh to FLL for VERY cheap fares, but, he's a FANATIC about NOT having a middle seat, and NOT sitting too far back in the plane and almost always has a bag to check - - so, NK/Spirit LUVS pax like him - - pay, PAY, PAY!!!

It was VERY clear from the time the first FlyerTalker discovered this fare, that, even the HIGHEST Medallions would NOT be "exempt" from the strict rules - - HOWEVER - - as mentioned above, you'll STILL be on the UPGRADE list, get free checked luggage, other SkyPriority benefits (besides advance seating) that you WON'T get on Spirit!

Best of luck to you! I hope you end up - up front, in FRONT of the curtain (which Spirit doesn't have) - possibly even with a free meal! If not, I feel bad for the FA that ends up with'ya in a middle seat next to the lav!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by exwannabe
The fare is a joke, but you prefer it to the standard fares when given a choice?

Yes, this is a joke.
This sums it up. There's a reason E fares are so cheap, you lose a lot of perks. But when offered the cheapest normal fare, you did not want to pay extra for them. Sounds like the fare is not a joke at all, and you proved it. You decided that saving $72 was worth not being able to select a seat, earn mileage credit, etc.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by justhere
I'm confused. If there isn't a problem, why did you post what you did? It seems like you are saying that you have a problem with E-fares and I think that is how many of us are seeing it.

And as has been pointed out, this isn't a new fare. New to you maybe, but not a new fare. I am curious though why you feel it is a joke? I say that trying to understand your perspective on this. Clearly you don't like the idea of the E-fare but it works for many. I'm just not seeing how or why it is a "joke".
Ah, yet another reader reading this as a "problem" complaint. Clearly, I expressed my feeling that it is a joke, and no where did I call this a problem.

Now that I've gained the experience of an E fare, I see them as a joke. I admitted my laziness in not noticing the "cleary" stated rule when booking. I stupidly assumed, after the fact, that I might be able to call and get a seat assignment, and was treated like a turd, as usual these days. I stupidly posted a thread about it on FT, thinking I might hear from others about their experiences booking an E fare (whether intentionally or accidentally), and yet again get treated like a turd (as do most every other OP on this forum these days).

As a professional courtesy, I have grown to expect it from DL, and as a common courtesy, I am coming to expect it from DL FTers, as well.

Last edited by ATL787; Mar 18, 2014 at 3:09 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.