Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E Fares....What a Joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
xDCA slot control would mean that for every section which DL rolled out, some other departure would need to be cancelled. No longer doable even if profitable.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Did something like these exist during the regulation days (or just after)? I thought I recalled reading about US majors offering fares that didn't include meals (the norm at the time), etc.
I would doubt it. During regulation, all interstate airlines were required to charge the same fares, with discounts for redeyes and youth fares, plus possibly student fares. In those days, airlines competed on their meal offerings, frequency and convenience of schedules, etc.--in fact, anything they legally could do to differentiate their product and capture more customers at the mandated and profitable fares.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by rylan
Maybe something like PeopleExpress in the early 80s? They charged a $2 for a snack pak.
Deregulation had already occurred by the 1980s.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
What markets are E fares offered from/to? I've never seen any ex-MSP on the routes I fly.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:50 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
What markets are E fares offered from/to? I've never seen any ex-MSP on the routes I fly.
As mentioned upthread, E fares were started to compete (kind of) with Spirit Airlines fares, and have possibly spread to some other leisure discount markets.

Doing a quick search of flight n' fares from DTW/FLL, where you will normally see results in 2 columns - one for cheapest coach fares & one for cheapest F fares, you will now see a 3 column result. The column headings are:

Economy (V)

First (G) or (A)

Basic Economy (E)
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
What exactly does DAL gain from not allowing seat assignments and not letting someone on an E fare purchase EC? I could understand if you have to pay for seat assignment on an E fare but to simply charge less and restrict more, what is DL gaining?

also, do E fares earn miles?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:33 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
What exactly does DAL gain from not allowing seat assignments and not letting someone on an E fare purchase EC? I could understand if you have to pay for seat assignment on an E fare but to simply charge less and restrict more, what is DL gaining?
I was kinda wondering the same thing. I guess they net some tiny amount of incremental revenue on leisure flights that they figure could or would be unsold seats.

Yes!! MQMs & RDMs. UG eligible, too! Just completely non-changeable / non-refundable.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Brand differentiation. E fares will likely (although not always) get middle seats toward the rear of the aircraft.

If DL permitted seat assignments, changes and the like for a fee, why would people book more expensive fares?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Brand differentiation. E fares will likely (although not always) get middle seats toward the rear of the aircraft.

If DL permitted seat assignments, changes and the like for a fee, why would people book more expensive fares?
why are these more likely to fill the back than a V fare?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
but to simply charge less and restrict more, what is DL gaining?
That's exactly how all other coach fares work. As you step down from one fare category to the next the cost goes down and the restrictions go up.

So I guess it's fair to ask why should the airline deviate from the established pattern?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
WCBC Want Crap, Buy Crap.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
That's exactly how all other coach fares work. As you step down from one fare category to the next the cost goes down and the restrictions go up.

So I guess it's fair to ask why should the airline deviate from the established pattern?
I understand that as the cost goes down the restrictions go up... my question is what does DL have to gain from restricting seat selections? Unless we are going to say that they are gaining by getting people to pay for tickets while at the same time keeping window and isle seats open, thereby causing someone to book a DL ticket when they would have gone with another airline if DL had only middle seats? That I could understand, but other than that I don't see what DL would stand to gain by adding a new extra restricted level.

My question was essentially wondering why they would deviate from the established pattern... I'm curious why an E fare would be profitable for them
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by GoHogsAR
You posted an opinion. All but one person who responded disagreed with you, yet you continue to try and make others adopt your opinion. Why?
I suspect there are plenty who agree with OP. I am one of them. He is ABSOLUTELY correct. Especially wrt the DL Forum, and the treatment one receives for even a perceived besmirchment of the beloved DL. All the usual gators in the moat come out and protect the mighty DL castle!
Too funny! Thanks for the entertainment!
Old Mar 24, 2014, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
I suspect there are plenty who agree with OP. I am one of them. He is ABSOLUTELY correct. Especially wrt the DL Forum, and the treatment one receives for even a perceived besmirchment of the beloved DL. All the usual gators in the moat come out and protect the mighty DL castle!
there is no crime in offering an extra discounted option with extra restrictions... if you don't want it don't buy it

and I'm not a delta apologist anymore... but E fares are rlly not something to complain about... It's like going to a store having an all sales final clearance and getting mad at them for all sales being final
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by scottsam66
The form did take a turn awhile back it seems. I check in from time to time to try and keep up with the various rules, but the tone has certainly become more "combative" I'd say towards the people that perhaps don't keep up with everything going on in any section of the various pieces of SkyMiles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.