Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by N522US
It makes Delta's product look like a Target cafe.
Uncannily accurate assessment. The SkyClubs were designed by... you guessed it: Target Commercial Interiors.

(And, on the topic of the AmEx Centurion Lounge in Vegas, I wholeheartedly agree - it reminded me in a lot of ways of the SkyTeam shared lounge in LHR T4, which is one of the best I've visited, right down to the plant wall. They clearly did their homework.

They did not, however, pay the gas bill: the day I was there, the gas was off in the D gates, preventing me from taking a shower as I had planned. )
Old May 13, 2013, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by realjd
I saw that when I was there last week. Don't you need a Centurion card to get in? That's a pretty high barrier to entry.
Some lesser cardholders got an invitation good through December 31 of this year. I received one for my Platinum Delta Amex, which doesn't otherwise include lounge benefits.
Old May 13, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I'm wondering if I should downgrade my gratuity policy also, but I guess that wouldn't be fair to the bartenders.
Call me a cheap ........ I don't give two hoots about that.

I rarely tip bartenders in SC unless extraordinary service. My $400 per annum fee should cover a nice salary for the staff tips excluded. K thx bye.
Old May 14, 2013, 12:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Please Recommend me a New Drink

As a Diamond, I see a lot of Skyclubs and domestic F cabins.

My Delta drinking habits are in an awful rut

I'm basically a big red drinker; Malbecs from Argentina or Tempranillo from Spain. In fact, in two days, I'm flying Delta in biz to Madrid for a pilgrimage to the Rioja region.

The free wine at the Skyclubs makes me puke, but I'm OK with the F-class cabin stuff that they rotate in their service.

For the hard stuff, my favorite is Grand Marnier, but I'm too cheap to pay for it at the premium bar. I drink Baileys on ice, which I like well enough. But I think I'm missing something more. I tried cheap whiskey, but I can't imagine that better brands have the subtleties that Thomas Hudson loves. My mixed drink knowledge stops at "rum and coke" (a Cuba Libre), which I wasn't fond of either.

Suggestions? Especially considering the limitations of what I can order at Delta?
Old May 14, 2013, 4:11 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, 20 Years Top Tier on DL, UA 1K, AC E75k, MR/SPG Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by mridley2
Call me a cheap .........
OK, if you insist. Yes, you are "a cheap".

TFD
Old May 14, 2013, 4:50 am
Suspended

Exactly

+1 from me. I will never pay.
Old May 14, 2013, 4:54 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jrmoore
Well, at least this sounds like a solid solution for the overcrowding problem in the Sky Clubs.
Wishful thinking... I suspect that it won't keep the true riff raff out. They will love the free booze regardless of brand.. and chep crap will get you buzzed much quicker...
Old May 14, 2013, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by Bowgie
As a Diamond, I see a lot of Skyclubs and domestic F cabins.

My Delta drinking habits are in an awful rut

I'm basically a big red drinker; Malbecs from Argentina or Tempranillo from Spain. In fact, in two days, I'm flying Delta in biz to Madrid for a pilgrimage to the Rioja region.

The free wine at the Skyclubs makes me puke, but I'm OK with the F-class cabin stuff that they rotate in their service.

For the hard stuff, my favorite is Grand Marnier, but I'm too cheap to pay for it at the premium bar. I drink Baileys on ice, which I like well enough. But I think I'm missing something more. I tried cheap whiskey, but I can't imagine that better brands have the subtleties that Thomas Hudson loves. My mixed drink knowledge stops at "rum and coke" (a Cuba Libre), which I wasn't fond of either.

Suggestions? Especially considering the limitations of what I can order at Delta?
Goto One Flew South and get a nice glass of wine.
Old May 14, 2013, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Wishful thinking... I suspect that it won't keep the true riff raff out. They will love the free booze regardless of brand.. and chep crap will get you buzzed much quicker...
Please explain the science behind that statement? Sorry, I'm more of whiskey/beer kind of guy and I always pretty much felt the whole gin/vodka snobbery/religion stuff was all about marketing -- http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Consumer/...3201973&page=1
Old May 14, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Call me crazy here -- but did anyone actually think Skyy Vodka was "good"?

I already evaluated the SkyClub bar with "it's free, so you get what you pay for". I already pretty much avoided drinking in the SkyClubs and on Delta domestic flights as well (unless I really really really want a drink, which is pretty rare).

As far as premium drinks -- I agree there too, it's pretty unlikely I would ever pay for the "premium" drinks at the SkyClub. Tipping though -- if I'm getting booze I tip. I won't tip for a spray of seltzer water.
Old May 14, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by some dude
Call me crazy here -- but did anyone actually think Skyy Vodka was "good"?
OK. You asked for it. You are crazy and I happen to like Skyy Vodka. It's much better than the swill that's going to replace it.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM (.00123 MM), UA 1P, Marriott PLT, HI GLD, SW PLT
Originally Posted by LBJ
Please explain the science behind that statement? Sorry, I'm more of whiskey/beer kind of guy and I always pretty much felt the whole gin/vodka snobbery/religion stuff was all about marketing
Oh yes, because the whiskey or beer markets have absolutely no snobbery involved?
Old May 14, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Review of Gordon's Vodka at http://theblacksheeponline.com/artic...-gordons-vodka. From the review:

Typical Drinkers

Only hobos who find this crap in the dumpster because some civilized people wised up and threw the crap out. Not good.

User Comments

“Oh guh. Is this nail polish remover?”
“I don’t want to do another shot… Ugh, well I guess if you are.”
“NO. No more. …Well, I don’t want to go to the bars sober.”
“This is torture! Why are we still drinking this?!”
Old May 14, 2013, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Looks like beer and wine are the way to go now. I guess bloody marys with Gordon's vodka can't be that bad.
Old May 14, 2013, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
+1 from me. I will never pay.
I think us Diamonds, and for those that pay for the membership, have had it up to here with fees and surcharges. The last great frontier with DL is being able to enter a sky club and get a beer, a wine, or a mixed drink for free, and soon, that will be gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.