Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Major DYKWIA on SLC to DEN in 1a today: walks in plane with Bluetooth in ear (haven't seen one of you in a while, it's Sat am chill out). Worst is that he is wearing travel/passport case around his neck - no big deal except for your blue DM card that you have to flash through the transparent sleeve. As if that wasn't bad enough as the FA approaches you before you even sit down you're demanding your Bloody Mary PDB.

I can't get enough of you guys, you make traveling so much fun.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Major DYKWIA on SLC to DEN in 1a today: walks in plane with Bluetooth in ear (haven't seen one of you in a while, it's Sat am chill out).
I wear one all the time. In fact, yesterday I was on the phone with a tech from the time I pulled into the PHX rental car return until I got to baggage check at the airport. I wear it for a couple of reasons. I take a lot of calls that are technical in nature and can require an extended conversation. I'm able to multitask then because I can still operate a mouse and keyboard (or my baggage). The other is that I have hearing damage and I also use it like a hearing aid. I have the volume at maximum and can hear the person on the other line way better than when I have the phone up to my ear.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, UA Silver, EI Silver
Originally Posted by yohanson
I wear one all the time. In fact, yesterday I was on the phone with a tech from the time I pulled into the PHX rental car return until I got to baggage check at the airport. I wear it for a couple of reasons. I take a lot of calls that are technical in nature and can require an extended conversation. I'm able to multitask then because I can still operate a mouse and keyboard (or my baggage). The other is that I have hearing damage and I also use it like a hearing aid. I have the volume at maximum and can hear the person on the other line way better than when I have the phone up to my ear.
I'm trying and failing to see any tongue-in-cheek here....

Wow. Do you really think these public spaces are your private office? They're not. STFU and let the rest of us travel in peace!
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie

Wow. Do you really think these public spaces are your private office? They're not. STFU and let the rest of us travel in peace!
Yes! Yes! Yes! ^
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie

Are people not allowed to talk on a phone in a public place any more? What's the difference between using a bluetooth and holding the phone to ones ear?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:30 am
Suspended

Out of respect for my fellow FlyerTalker - deleted

Last edited by clr4t8koff; Feb 7, 2015 at 11:01 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Are people not allowed to talk on a phone in a public place any more? What's the difference between using a bluetooth and holding the phone to ones ear?
HUGE difference between a public place and the cabin of an aircraft. I could care less if you're on your phone in the food court at a mall. But when I'm trapped in a cabin and can't get away from your conversation it's an issue. Have some consideration for others. You're not that important.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff
If you having hearing damage than maybe you shouldn't be in a role that requires you to be on the phone so much.
What does that have to do with anything? Does it annoy you people that you can't hear what the person on the other line is saying because I see and hear people having conversations, including yesterday on the rental car bus, all the time. While I was on the phone, a family of four with 2 teenage children were talking amongst themselves the entire trip. Should I have ended my conversation as soon as I got on the bus and then asked the other pax to kindly stfu if they opened their mouths?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:38 am

HUGE difference between a public place and the cabin of an aircraft. I could care less if you're on your phone in the food court at a mall. But when I'm trapped in a cabin and can't get away from your conversation it's an issue. Have some consideration for others. You're not that important.
Reading comprehension problem? I wasn't on an aircraft.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:40 am
Suspended

Reading comprehension problem? I wasn't on an aircraft.
See bold at top. I have no doubt that means in the cabin of an aircraft as well. I comprehended what you wrote just fine. Thats all.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:44 am

If you have hearing damage then maybe you shouldn't be in a role that requires you to be on the phone so much.
Totally out of line to say that to OP.
Suspended

What does that have to do with anything? Does it annoy you people that you can't hear what the person on the other line is saying because I see and hear people having conversations, including yesterday on the rental car bus, all the time. While I was on the phone, a family of four with 2 teenage children were talking amongst themselves the entire trip. Should I have ended my conversation as soon as I got on the bus and then asked the other pax to kindly stfu if they opened their mouths?
If you have hearing damage, and I have elderly relatives that do, I have no doubt you were talking much louder than the family on the bus. So yes, I would want you to kindly stfu.

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Experienced my first DYKWIA recently on a flight from HKG to SEA. Gentleman behind me's miles upgrade apparently didn't clear from a full Y fare and he was (understandably) upset. Sounds like some Shena going on, and he really should have been upgraded - not sure if the last two seats were taken by non-revs or just were unassigned but booked.

Anyway, the GA came aboard during the boarding process near the front of economy - so tons of people filing past and they proceeded to have a hearty argument. He kept on talking about his 350k MQMs a year for the past whole bunch of years, including the HK flight 10 times a year, and how he books flights for 14 other people and could take his business elsewhere.

That being said, he probably did have a legit complaint. But it caused half a plane to slow down boarding while they stood there arguing.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:49 am

See bold at top. I have no doubt that means in the cabin of an aircraft as well. I comprehended what you wrote just fine. Thats all.
Point taken. Again I ask, what is the difference between me wearing a bluetooth when boarding than someone on the phone with it to their ear? I rarely have a conversation onboard. If I do, it's to take a quick call. If I'm on the phone in the gate area, I have already told whomever I'm speaking to that I'm about to board and the conversation ends before my BP is scanned. I'll wear the bluetooth until about 5 minutes before the door closes and then I put it away until I deplane. I'm never the guy who boards and starts making phone calls and has to be scolded by the FA to get off while we are taxiing. Do you ever take a phone call while waiting for the door to close or do you shut your phone off as soon as you board?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
If you have hearing damage then maybe you shouldn't be in a role that requires you to be on the phone so much.
Bit much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.