Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2014, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the GA was proactive in asking about the single upgrade, the GA might have known they were traveling together by noticing that the two passengers were using the same last name. This would have been apparent to anyone watching GIDS so there shouldn't have been any suspicions of shenanigans.
Old Dec 9, 2014, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
... the same last name. This would have been apparent to anyone watching GIDS so there shouldn't have been any suspicions of shenanigans.
really? if all that's on the GIDS is SMI/<initial>, for all the GIDS-gazer who's waiting for that last BFUG knows, #1 is Smisek and #6 is Smiley

pretty sure only the GA sees the full surname
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
I know Delta loves pushing for flight upgrades to get more money, but this just seems a bit deceptive from a marketing standpoint.

I don't think a flat sleeper will be available on this trip.

Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
I know Delta loves pushing for flight upgrades to get more money, but this just seems a bit deceptive from a marketing standpoint.

Ok, I haven't seen that one yet. That is just down right funny. Sad, but funny.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

Perhaps DL is going to one-up the competition on this route and add flat sleepers, Lobster Tails and caviar. Teach Spirit a lesson.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
So are we saying that SHENA is occupying the lie-flats? I dont understand - I thought this was a SHENA thread. Unless you are saying DL is playing shenanigans by advertizing lie flats on a route highly unlikely to have them?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
presuming RacingJunkie is originating from his/her identified home location, this could reflect the SEA-ATL equipment ... some times there's one daily trip with an international 763, and occasionally a positioning flight with an A330 or 777
Old Dec 18, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
So are we saying that SHENA is occupying the lie-flats? I dont understand - I thought this was a SHENA thread. Unless you are saying DL is playing shenanigans by advertizing lie flats on a route highly unlikely to have them?
I think it's the latter. Non-traditional shenanigans.

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To me, false advertising and shenanigans are very different.

However, DL wouldn't have the problem with the BE flat beds being pictured for an upgrade on a regular domestic FC flight if DL didn't insist on calling all of the international route continuations business class.

BTW, in the new D1 and C+ scheme, where does "business class" fit it? They surely don't want to call it D1 like their prime service, but it's not anything else in the list either.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 9:39 am

84 days? Wow - I wish I could think that far in advance
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
presuming RacingJunkie is originating from his/her identified home location, this could reflect the SEA-ATL equipment ... some times there's one daily trip with an international 763, and occasionally a positioning flight with an A330 or 777
It is from DTW to ATL to JAX. The first leg is on a domestic 757.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ross123
Some things are set in stone. The Amelia Concours is one of them.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by ross123
+1. The joy of actually planning ahead
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz Five Star
Another Experience and Delta Response

As further confirmation of what others have shared on this topic, let me add my recent experience and response from Delta. I was on the last segment of my segment run on December 30, 2014, which was Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale (DL 1626). My Delta app and the gate display indicated I was number one on the upgrade list with no seats left in first class. The gate agent did not advise anyone on the upgrade list to standby, so I boarded with Sky Priority. Prior to the boarding door being shut, I noticed seat 1C was not occupied. I observed a flight attendant approach a woman who was in seat 5C and motion her to 1C (apparently from the reaction of the individuals in seats 1A and 1B, the woman now in 1C knew them). I then observed the male attendant pick up the phone and talk for a few seconds. A few minutes later a woman appeared from coach class; the flight attendant handed the woman a piece of paper (I do not know whether it was a boarding pass) and she proceeded to sit in 5C. As I was deplaning in Fort Lauderdale, I passed the 5C woman (who had moved a few rows up in first class during the deplaning process; she appeared to be waiting to speak with the crew) and I observed one of her items was a soft cover (blue background) bound copy of a Delta-related document (it may have been named "The Delta Difference"). I suspect the 5C woman (the woman who was moved up) was a Delta employee.

I contacted Delta through the website and asked for the protocol on upgrades in this situation. Also, I wanted to know whether it is Delta policy to upgrade an employee after the boarding door has been closed without reviewing the upgrade list.

This was the response from Delta:

"Dear Mr. Trojanlaw,

RE: Case Number -------

Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any confusion in regards to Complimentary Medallion Upgrades.

The most relevant answer to your question about the lack of an upgrade on your recent flight is that once a passenger boards in Economy (specifically, when your boarding pass is scanned at the gate as you board), there is no further opportunity to be cleared from the standby list. This is regardless of the number of seats that may be available in the front cabin. To remain active on the standby list, you must not have an onboard status.

That being said, I reviewed your flight details and do not see any upgrades processed, and the passenger in 5C was ticketed in First Class.
If the flight crew made seating adjustments post-boarding, that is at their discretion and can often be for reasons that are not available, for security or other confidential reasons. We truly regret any frustration or disappointment.

As to your comment about an employee possibly receiving an upgrade, I do not show any employees cleared for the front cabin at all on your flight. Please know, the restrictions placed on employees and the restrictions placed on Medallion members vary and are independent from one another from a business standpoint. I realize it can be frustrating trying to understand employee travel, but please keep in mind that Delta strictly follows the policy and procedures we have outlined for both our passengers and our employees.

Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to your inquiry.
We very much appreciate your Million Miler/Diamond Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

M--- G----
Diamond Desk
www.delta.com"
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by trojanlaw
As further confirmation of what others have shared on this topic, let me add my recent experience and response from Delta. I was on the last segment of my segment run on December 30, 2014, which was Atlanta to Fort Lauderdale (DL 1626). My Delta app and the gate display indicated I was number one on the upgrade list with no seats left in first class. The gate agent did not advise anyone on the upgrade list to standby, so I boarded with Sky Priority. Prior to the boarding door being shut, I noticed seat 1C was not occupied. I observed a flight attendant approach a woman who was in seat 5C and motion her to 1C (apparently from the reaction of the individuals in seats 1A and 1B, the woman now in 1C knew them). I then observed the male attendant pick up the phone and talk for a few seconds. A few minutes later a woman appeared from coach class; the flight attendant handed the woman a piece of paper (I do not know whether it was a boarding pass) and she proceeded to sit in 5C. As I was deplaning in Fort Lauderdale, I passed the 5C woman (who had moved a few rows up in first class during the deplaning process; she appeared to be waiting to speak with the crew) and I observed one of her items was a soft cover (blue background) bound copy of a Delta-related document (it may have been named "The Delta Difference"). I suspect the 5C woman (the woman who was moved up) was a Delta employee.

I contacted Delta through the website and asked for the protocol on upgrades in this situation. Also, I wanted to know whether it is Delta policy to upgrade an employee after the boarding door has been closed without reviewing the upgrade list.

This was the response from Delta:

"Dear Mr. Trojanlaw,

RE: Case Number -------

Thank you for contacting us. We apologize for any confusion in regards to Complimentary Medallion Upgrades.

The most relevant answer to your question about the lack of an upgrade on your recent flight is that once a passenger boards in Economy (specifically, when your boarding pass is scanned at the gate as you board), there is no further opportunity to be cleared from the standby list. This is regardless of the number of seats that may be available in the front cabin. To remain active on the standby list, you must not have an onboard status.

That being said, I reviewed your flight details and do not see any upgrades processed, and the passenger in 5C was ticketed in First Class.
If the flight crew made seating adjustments post-boarding, that is at their discretion and can often be for reasons that are not available, for security or other confidential reasons. We truly regret any frustration or disappointment.

As to your comment about an employee possibly receiving an upgrade, I do not show any employees cleared for the front cabin at all on your flight. Please know, the restrictions placed on employees and the restrictions placed on Medallion members vary and are independent from one another from a business standpoint. I realize it can be frustrating trying to understand employee travel, but please keep in mind that Delta strictly follows the policy and procedures we have outlined for both our passengers and our employees.

Thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to your inquiry.
We very much appreciate your Million Miler/Diamond Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving you again soon.

Sincerely,

M--- G----
Diamond Desk
www.delta.com"
So more confusion on "you board, you lose" as expected.

Did the OP ask the GA about boarding or just expect the GA to make an announcement telling people not to board? If so, note that most GAs won't do this because (1) this can delay the boarding process and (2) if they do want to give the FC seats to nonrev standbys, it's easier to do this if all of the revenue passengers on the upgrade list board.

The response from DL seems to say that FAs can upgrade anyone on board for any reason, which contradicts what I've always been told: FAs aren't to upgrade revenue passengers on board, partly because they don't know the rules and don't have the priority list, but they can upgrade nonrevs after the door closes if FC (or BE) seats are available. Of course, they can also move people if there's a broken seat or broken AVOD system, an emergency medical need, etc. but exit row issues should be resolved before the door is closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.