Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Save Mart (uses identical NCR Retalix Software to the Albertsons/Supervalu Stores) upgraded its system but oddly is not yet supporting EMV. They were previously supporting NFC and still support it but now the four dots show up on the screen and the pinpad beeps when you swipe or tap (before the pinpads made no sounds except when you typed something on the keypad). The NFC worked using both a new card with a contactless Chip and using an old swipe only card with NFC.

The Save Mart receipt for NFC now shows a ton of transaction detail but on the receipt itself rather than as a separate printout (identical to the scan of a Supervalu/Albertsons receipt posted here) whereas before it showed nothing but Credit Cards Tender and Approval Code.

I asked about EMV and was told it was coming soon and there were some problems with an update. I went to a second Save Mart and their card processing was also as described above.
Old May 2, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by scibot
I forgot to mention this but I don't live too close to an IKEA and I found that picture on twitter, also here is another picture I found on twitter and it appears to be from someone else and its from back in February: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbhXMi-VAAANzIf.jpg:large
They still do not accept it at the MX915 registers according to them here: https://twitter.com/IKEAUSAHelp/stat...91204567461888
I'll have to check out the upstairs food area next time I'm there. It's interesting that they use a totally different system than the main store when they probably could have installed the same POS/MX915 setup for similar cost. But then there'd be no EMV or NFC there right now, so there's that.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Apple stores now support on-device cvm for Amex Apple Pay cards (UK, CA, AU) although Macys now no longer seems to support EMV Amex contactless, the card machine just asked to use the chip on the card (which is kind of difficult with a phone)
Old May 2, 2016, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Someone make a Wiki of these acronyms.
Old May 2, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Trying to add an amazing place to the map but it's too new . They have EMV and Apple Pay. I used a MasterCard so it'll pop up on the pay pass locator.

I need to wait a month. Ingenico ict220 with ipp320 facing customer. They're fully aware and trained on Apple Pay.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Trying to add an amazing place to the map but it's too new .
If you have the address, you can search by address then manually type in the merchant's name. I've had to do that a few times.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Which app is this?
Old May 2, 2016, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Which app is this?
Not an app. https://emvacceptedhere.com/

BTW Bed Bath and Beyond seems to use the same POS/terminal firmware as Big Lots (and I think Nordstrom), just with tap disabled. Unfortunate but expected due to their MCX membership.
Old May 3, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Not an app. https://emvacceptedhere.com/

BTW Bed Bath and Beyond seems to use the same POS/terminal firmware as Big Lots (and I think Nordstrom), just with tap disabled. Unfortunate but expected due to their MCX membership.
Bob Evans also uses that same UI but it does not say tap at all and Contactless works there anyways. It goes like this, it asks for a tip then asks for credit/debit/gift and you can finally tap/swipe, so EMV would easily be enabled on there.

Something I recently noticed about Dairy Queen is that before EMV was enabled I got two receipts from them, one with what I ordered and the other has the card information. I bet they are supposed to give you two receipts even now but they forget to do that. Another Toshiba POS place that gives you two receipts is Starbucks and at both places the Capital One Wallet says USE CHIP READER, but Android Pay may work at DQ and it works at Starbucks for sure.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scibot
Bob Evans also uses that same UI but it does not say tap at all and Contactless works there anyways. It goes like this, it asks for a tip then asks for credit/debit/gift and you can finally tap/swipe, so EMV would easily be enabled on there.
I can try it again next time. Weirdly I still had to sign a paper receipt, so tapping might not work even if they did leave it enabled.

EDIT: and apparently next time was today. Contactless seems disabled altogether based on the lack of response to my contactless AmEx. EMV also seems on the fast side here.

Last edited by tmiw; May 3, 2016 at 7:58 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 5:17 am

I saw a Starbucks barista comparing ID against a customer's debit card. Given, I don't know the whole story - did the customer behave in a suspicious manner?, etc. Regardless, I've never seen that before at Starbucks.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

Went to GNC today and my grandfathered android Pay card declined
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
I saw a Starbucks barista comparing ID against a customer's debit card. Given, I don't know the whole story - did the customer behave in a suspicious manner?, etc. Regardless, I've never seen that before at Starbucks.
When I worked at Starbucks they said to compare ID for gift card purchase because stolen CC could be used to launder funds
Old May 4, 2016, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Nacron
When I worked at Starbucks they said to compare ID for gift card purchase because stolen CC could be used to launder funds
The customer was just buying a drink.

I went to a new place today - Bethesda Bagels. They have an FD130+FD35 combination along with an iPad POS and don't blink an eye to mobile payments. I even get Apple Maps data for the transaction in Wallet. The FD35 is kept behind the plexiglass between that and the register but the contactless receiver was positioned for me to just tap the plexiglass. EMV is not enabled on the terminal - they have stickers covering the slot, I was able to tap before the amount was keyed in, and Wallet showed --. I was unable to get a receipt from the POS "because I used Apple Pay", but I still got one from the FD130. Quite the setup.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At Safeway, I saw a fellow make a purchase that was less than $50 and was asked for ID after entering his pin, presumably from a United States debit card. I remarked to the clerk that I was a bit surprised, and was told that he couldn't explain it either.
Old May 4, 2016, 6:08 pm

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
The customer was just buying a drink.

I went to a new place today - Bethesda Bagels. They have an FD130+FD35 combination along with an iPad POS and don't blink an eye to mobile payments. I even get Apple Maps data for the transaction in Wallet. The FD35 is kept behind the plexiglass between that and the register but the contactless receiver was positioned for me to just tap the plexiglass. EMV is not enabled on the terminal - they have stickers covering the slot, I was able to tap before the amount was keyed in, and Wallet showed --. I was unable to get a receipt from the POS "because I used Apple Pay", but I still got one from the FD130. Quite the setup.
So they have people tapping the plexi glass for nfc? Well at least it works :-p. Wonder why not just put the fd35 outside of the glass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.