Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by emmanuel_t
H&M have EMV Contactless and they began showing on the MasterCard locator a few weeks ago. AID prints on the receipt, phone gets amount prior to authorisation, et al. Not sure what POS they use but the terminal is a Verifone MX915.
H&M does in fact support both EMV Contact and Contactless on their MX915's. It seemed to be about as fast as Starbucks and they asked credit/debit before you tap. You tap the screen and it says remove card then approved within 3 seconds. I would guess that its semi-integrated as the terminal was only active after the cashier pressed credit.
Here is a picture of the theme: https://app.box.com/s/r329k21kc3hyxvaqys4scfkdae0wrdui
And here is the receipt:
https://app.box.com/s/twvluxu2vhaael57e78ydn5k6tfcw8x5
AID listed etc. ^

Champ Sports did not seem to support EMV so I did not buy anything there. But they do use IBM/Toshiba with MX915's so that picture I found of Apple Pay at Champ Sports with EMV enabled is possible. I also visited a Kicks 66 station and they use Ruby2 with MX915's and same theme as Valero and it only say Welcome to message, Swipe Card with a list of stuff you bought and the total.
Old May 13, 2016, 6:19 pm

MasterCard Apple Pay is broken. It worked just fine at Bethesda Bagels (MSD). However, I was in Best Buy earlier today and they have a Clover Mini on display to promote Samsung Pay. There was no EMV data for the transaction sent to my phone when I tried my debit, but my phone showed the amount for a Visa. These were "dummy" transactions - no charge at all. I also tried to buy something from Staples, but the terminal wouldn't accept my card (blinking light) and my phone never recognised a completed transaction. Amex worked fine there.
Old May 13, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
MasterCard Apple Pay is broken. It worked just fine at Bethesda Bagels (MSD). However, I was in Best Buy earlier today and they have a Clover Mini on display to promote Samsung Pay. There was no EMV data for the transaction sent to my phone when I tried my debit, but my phone showed the amount for a Visa. These were "dummy" transactions - no charge at all. I also tried to buy something from Staples, but the terminal wouldn't accept my card (blinking light) and my phone never recognised a completed transaction. Amex worked fine there.
Ironically, it's looking like one would have the best experience in the US by using AmEx contactless, especially a US card in Apple Pay. Does it look that way to anyone else?
Old May 13, 2016, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've used Master Card on Apple Pay at Trader Joes and some other places.
Old May 13, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
I've used Master Card on Apple Pay at Trader Joes and some other places.
Today?
Old May 13, 2016, 10:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
No not today.

Sorry didn't realize you were talking about something that stopped working.
Old May 13, 2016, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That said, I don't think there's anything systematic that's wrong with MC and Apple Pay that would cause it to not work at least at most places. I'd expect it to still work at Walgreens, for instance.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:21 am

Starbucks UK finally takes Amex contactless. Haven't tried Apple Pay yet but can't imagine a new certification wouldn't work. Useful if you're an American traveling without a chip and PIN card.

We still don't have the nice pretty software with the Starbucks logo being used in the U.S... Just black and white text on the terminal saying welcome to Starbucks coffee company.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
That said, I don't think there's anything systematic that's wrong with MC and Apple Pay that would cause it to not work at least at most places. I'd expect it to still work at Walgreens, for instance.
Yeah, I think this might be something isolated to my phone or card. I don't want to delete and add again though because I'll get a new token and all.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Starbucks UK finally takes Amex contactless. Haven't tried Apple Pay yet but can't imagine a new certification wouldn't work. Useful if you're an American traveling without a chip and PIN card.

We still don't have the nice pretty software with the Starbucks logo being used in the U.S... Just black and white text on the terminal saying welcome to Starbucks coffee company.
Must be the difference in merchant service providers. I assume both us and uk Starbucks with the new Vx820 are using semi integrated processing.

UK Starbucks used to use Verifone Vx570 terminals (not PIN pad, but entire terminal) in the UK prior to the Vx820.
Old May 14, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Here you go
Weird, I just came back from my local one and it still says "--" for the amount even though online banking shows the final amount as pending. BofA debit card if that matters.
Old May 14, 2016, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
At work, (Albertsons), the pinpads all "broke" today (only displayed an NCR logo, nothing else), but after resetting them (it's an option on the register), contactless cards now work! I bet they pushed a software upgrade and didn't tell us. Before the change, attempting to tap a contactless card would prompt an insert.
Out of curiosity, did that update cause the "swipe/tap/insert" prompt to show while items are being scanned? That was the case today whereas a couple of weeks ago I had to push the Card button on the self-checkout for that to show.

BTW, Visa with Apple Pay still runs as MSD there.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Weird, I just came back from my local one and it still says "--" for the amount even though online banking shows the final amount as pending. BofA debit card if that matters.
Bank of America don't show transaction history in Wallet for debit cards.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by RedLight2015
Must be the difference in merchant service providers. I assume both us and uk Starbucks with the new Vx820 are using semi integrated processing.

UK Starbucks used to use Verifone Vx570 terminals (not PIN pad, but entire terminal) in the UK prior to the Vx820.
The Starbucks stores around the universities here have VX570s to charge school-run student accounts, and likewise for some Starbucks licensees but rather for Starbucks Card.
Old May 14, 2016, 1:22 pm

Bank of America don't show transaction history in Wallet for debit cards.
They do now actually. If you re-add the card, it now shows transaction history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.