Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Retalix had the four green on-screen "lights" before the update enabling contact EMV.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RedLight2015
I have always thought the "lights" or lights were a requirement for NFC. Even TfL's new Oyster reader now has four lights because they accept regular contactless payment cards.

Though seems to be a huge problem on Verifone Mx915/925 not showing any lights at all after they updated to EMV. All Ingenicos show either fake lights on the screen at the very top or real lights on isc250/iPP320. This seems like a Verifone problem now. My local grocery store used to show "lights" but after they got EMV now just says "Insert/Swipe/Tap" and makes a blurp noise, but no "lights"

Whole Foods, Toys R Us and H&M still show virtual lights thankfully.

Though it looks to be an NCR Retalix problem of not showing any lights. Sprouts only has lights on the Mx860 with external contactless. The ones with Mx915 has no lights whatsoever after EMV was enabled.
I don't think Rite Aid or Trader Joe's ever showed the lights at all but I could be wrong on that. Albertson's also didn't show the idle lights before enabling EMV but showed all four green lights when tapped.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:33 am

I have always thought the "lights" or lights were a requirement for NFC. Even TfL's new Oyster reader now has four lights because they accept regular contactless payment cards.

Though seems to be a huge problem on Verifone Mx915/925 not showing any lights at all after they updated to EMV. All Ingenicos show either fake lights on the screen at the very top or real lights on isc250/iPP320. This seems like a Verifone problem now. My local grocery store used to show "lights" but after they got EMV now just says "Insert/Swipe/Tap" and makes a blurp noise, but no "lights"

Though it looks to be an NCR Retalix problem of not showing any lights. Sprouts only has lights on the Mx860 with external contactless. The ones with Mx915 has no lights whatsoever after EMV was enabled.
Wegmans also shows the virtual lights on its MX915/925 screen.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by tmiw
Also, contactless at Chick-fil-A is official chain-wide on Thursday: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/...st-19.1988575/
I was at one in Raleigh NC today, AP worked flawlessly there.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 1:04 pm

So I went to Hardees today for lunch and paid with the grandfathered Android Pay Card and it worked fine and for Entry Method instead of Swiped on a previous receipt it now says Unknown for entry method. https://app.box.com/s/5kznx6nsw3d0c0j2nc497ur5grsooo76 Capital One Wallet results in "CLESS NOT ALLOWED" on the pinpad which means contactless I'd have to guess. The Capital One Wallet doesn't work at all places for some reason including Trader Joe's. I think next time I will try my Visa Debit Card in Android Pay there.

Last edited by scibot; Aug 19, 2016 at 1:26 pm
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:38 pm

I got a message through my CVM database site today from someone that recently got a replacement Wells Fargo credit card and it was dual-interface. So it sounds like Wells Fargo may be like American Express and offers contactless by request.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I was at one in Raleigh NC today, AP worked flawlessly there.
Anyone try it at the drive through yet? Do they hand the MX915 out the window like what McDonald's does, or do they use a different model terminal?

Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
I got a message through my CVM database site today from someone that recently got a replacement Wells Fargo credit card and it was dual-interface. So it sounds like Wells Fargo may be like American Express and offers contactless by request.
I wonder if it ever actually went away at WF. Their card FAQ has always had a section on contactless written as though it was on their cards (at least, according to a quick skim of previous versions using archive.org anyway).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:17 pm

I was at Bowl America (Falls Church location) - they have their POS and a standalone VX520+VX820 combo. Their system is extremely old. Anyway, the VX820 wouldn't recognise my phone, so I tapped the VX520 instead and the VX820 hanged on Please Wait. It authorised after I pressed cancel (???), and was MSD. I was expecting EMV given standalone plus chip working.

Also, Dunkin use MX915s in the drive-thru. They appear stationary, so I wonder how well that's going to go with PIN-preferring cards and Apple Pay.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I wonder if it ever actually went away at WF. Their card FAQ has always had a section on contactless written as though it was on their cards (at least, according to a quick skim of previous versions using archive.org anyway).
I can't say for sure. I know that pre-EMV, contactless was available only with certain card designs. When I requested the EMV version, it was only available on a single standard design which was a dual-interface card. A coworker signed up for a WF Visa several months later and his card, with the same basic design as mine, is contact EMV only.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717
When you say "recently" I'm wondering if he got one of the last NFC cards just under the wire? The announcement I got was fairly pointed that WF wanted to discontinue them, period.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 3:43 am

Where have you seen an Oyster reader with four lights? They all just have the normal amber that turns green or red that I have seen
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Skymiles
Originally Posted by AllieKat
Where have you seen an Oyster reader with four lights? They all just have the normal amber that turns green or red that I have seen
On the top left of the reader where normally a single orange/green light goes, the newer ones actually alternate the lights between four separate lights really close to each other, like very close in a triangle shape. It's so small but you gotta pay attention to see it.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 1:22 pm

On the top left of the reader where normally a single orange/green light goes, the newer ones actually alternate the lights between four separate lights really close to each other, like very close in a triangle shape. It's so small but you gotta pay attention to see it.
That wouldn't meet the interface guidelines anyway, which are very specific about how the lights are arranged and have to behave. Odd that it's changed, where is this?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 4:24 pm

So my Mcdonalds upgraded one of their ancient MX850's to an MX915 with the new Verifone logo, but its on the least used register. Went to BP last night and they had MX915's with the old Ruby Super system and Visa Debit in Android Pay declined for some reason. The grandfathered MasterCard worked fine and the MX850's on a previous visit worked fine at that same location with the card. The cashier told me that Debit doesn't work at all there, but I did select credit from the screen and what they really need to do is upgrade to Commander already. Another BP owned by the same company with Topaz XL(Commander) and MX850's with emv slots and newer ctls readers worked fine with the same Visa card.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:56 pm

For anyone interested, Giant print "CONTACTLESS Purchase" as the entry method, and it's below the card type, where there was previously just a gap. I don't know if that's an IBM/Toshiba thing or just on Giant's end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.