Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]

Subscribe
Perhaps the answer to the following question is somewhere upthread - I apologize if it is:

How common is DCC for foreign cardholders when visiting the USA?
Quote: Perhaps the answer to the following question is somewhere upthread - I apologize if it is:

How common is DCC for foreign cardholders when visiting the USA?
We have often speculated that it's not that common in the US. My sister-in-law visited San Francisco last month, and I only saw two examples. It was very easy to opt out if you knew what DCC was. You can read my summary here.
Quote: Wait, so it wanted THEM to type a sale amount in USD? That doesn't sound like DCC... that sounds like a dual-currency account on their end...
I called them up today and inquired some more, and yes, they have a dual currency account, and they cannot select which currency to charge you in. USD cards get USD, all other currencies get KYD.

The prices in the stores were priced in both currencies, but the KYD pricing was more advantageous than using their in-house conversion rate.
Quote: I called them up today and inquired some more, and yes, they have a dual currency account, and they cannot select which currency to charge you in. USD cards get USD, all other currencies get KYD.

The prices in the stores were priced in both currencies, but the KYD pricing was more advantageous than using their in-house conversion rate.
The unfortunate thing there is that the conversion rate should be the same since the exchange rate is fixed at 1 KYD = 1.2 USD.
Some experience from my visit to Turkey just now:

At ATMs, I either had a mild form of DCC (single question, easily avoidable by pressing "No", even if probably still lots of people will fail for it for it's wording) or none. At shops, didn't experienced any DCC attempt at all. So far so good..
Quote: Some experience from my visit to Turkey just now:

At ATMs, I either had a mild form of DCC (single question, easily avoidable by pressing "No", even if probably still lots of people will fail for it for it's wording) or none. At shops, didn't experienced any DCC attempt at all. So far so good..
Would be curious to know if anyone has first-hand knowledge but I suspect that DCC at points of sale has been outlawed in Turkey at some point over the last 2-3 years. I've never encountered it, even in super-touristic areas where prices are quoted in Euros - in those few places (only really encountered in Antalya thus far) they seem to be converting from the quoted EUR prices into TL at a surprisingly fair exchange rate before you even swipe your card. (Quoting reservations in Euros and taking payments in TL at the date of departure is a really annoying practice, but it's not the same as DCC.) Discount clothing retailer LC Waikiki has Garanti Bank-branded signage in some of its stores promoting DCC as a value-added benefit, but I've never even been offered DCC there when paying with a US credit card. It's pretty nice that DCC seems to be nonexistent for purchase transactions, though counterbalanced by the fact that merchants in most of Istanbul have persistent problems getting chip-and-signature (and especially Chase products for some reason) to process. Protip for US card users: tell the cashier your card is "shifresiz" and suggest that they process it as a Garanti Bank card if it doesn't go through at first.

The ATM's, on the other hand, are a whole different animal. I've been offered DCC rates as bad as 5.5% (BNP Paribas/TEB having that dubious honor). ING, Deniz and Garanti also try to hit you with it. For Garanti, one assumes they must be making some serious cash - they actually have an ad in the domestic terminal at AYT urging travelers to choose their ATMs to "benefit" from DCC and bragging about the number of currencies they support. If you don't want to deal with DCC offers and/or want to support non-DCC banks in principle, try YapiKredi, Sekerbank and Halkbank. Think Vaktif and Akbank are also OK if I remember correctly.
I got stuck with DCC at a Paris restaurant. I handed my arrival+ to the waiter and without saying anything he ran my card through the card reader, pushed a few buttons and presented me with a receipt with DCC. I protested and told him to charge me in euros and not dollars. He claimed that he had charged me in euros and the receipt was just "showing me" what the charge translated to in dollars. I told him that this was incorrect and asked him if HE had chosen USD on the terminal. He said he had and it doesn't matter if he chooses USD or euros that it is "the same thing." I told him that it was in fact not the same thing. He seemed very confused and I further explained to him what DCC was and why it was bad. He still seemed confused and seemed slightly annoyed that I was complaining so much about it. His coworkers starting speaking to each other (they were speaking in French so I have no idea what they were saying) but eventually one of his workers chimed in and said something to the effect of that I should just pay in cash in the future (I think he honestly meant this in a sincere fashion and not in a rude way). He gave me a card with the restaurant contact information and suggested if I was still unhappy to "talk to my bank about it." I eventually gave up, circled the euro amount and signed the slip. I figured the worst case scenario is I eat the ~$1.50 difference which is better than creating an even bigger scene and potentially having the waiter try and get the police involved if I refused to sign the slip (I'm not sure what he actually would have done if I refused to sign, I'm just saying it isn't worth finding out). I contacted Barclays about this and after talking to a complaints representative they are making me submit the receipt and problem in writing. The representative said she knew what DCC was but I got the impression that she didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. I asked the representative if this is a common complaint and she said I was the first person she had complain about DCC. I made some comment about most people probably don't realize when this happens to them. Anyways, I find DCC so frustrating and wish there was a way to ban it so I didn't have to worry about it.
I traveled to Kazakhstan this month. At all places including the hotel I stayed in I always asked to pay in local currency. I was never given a USD bill. But I did see my colleagues who were not that alert, who paid in USD. What I found was that the DCC in Almaty and Astana was actually better than the converted rate. While in India it was horrible. When I checked in, they do a hold in USD and I do not protest DCC there, because it gives me a look in to the DCC rates. The USD rate was above 62 and the DCC rate was around 59 Rupees. DCC varies from country to country.
Quote: I contacted Barclays about this and after talking to a complaints representative they are making me submit the receipt and problem in writing. The representative said she knew what DCC was but I got the impression that she didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. I asked the representative if this is a common complaint and she said I was the first person she had complain about DCC. I made some comment about most people probably don't realize when this happens to them. Anyways, I find DCC so frustrating and wish there was a way to ban it so I didn't have to worry about it.
Let us know how the chargeback goes. I think the vast majority of people don't realize that they've been screwed, and that's why there aren't many complaints. This is also why I'd rather have a chip-and-PIN system. If the waiter hands you the terminal and things look fishy, you can always fat finger the PIN to end the transaction.

The good thing with MasterCard is that their DCC chargeback options seem, in theory, to be far more permissive than Visa's. With MasterCard you simply have to state that you weren't given the option to pay in the currency of your choosing. As long as you defaced the receipt, it should work in your favor assuming that the issuer is favorable to a chargeback.
Avis Sleazy DCC
Y'all probably already know that when you make reservation on the Avis US site the final page always shows USD - but that is not DCC because I found the rate used to convert the display was quite close to the actual rate.

What Avis does is, its billing system almost always automatically bill you in USD. Even the contract itself in many European countries would have the sneaky clause there that YOU agree to be billed in the currency of your card... We have to always make sure not just at the pick up to change that clause, but also at the return to make sure the close out statement is in Euro or whatever currency.

The last 3 rentals were on AMEX Plat that was in his profile so there was no such hassle.

However we want to use Citi Premier on a May rental in Germany because Premier changes its earning scale effective on Apr 19 to 3x on travel expenses, while the AMEX PLAT is a straight 1x. We also dont want to cumulate any more Membership Reward points in preparing to ditch the PLAT card soon because now Citi's Prestige Card is a serious contender of AMEX PLAT (with better benefits actually).

I went to husband's Avis Preferred profile to change the card on file. When I put in Mastercard, it immediately brought up a Note, in the wordings as if in your benefit, that Mastercard and Visa offer an opportunity for the members to pay in their cards currency. AND, the box of the Acceptance Statement is already checked! The 3% DCC fee is mentioned, but is the LAST SENTENCE of a bunch of mumble jumble about Avis would always use the exchange rate at the time of the transaction blah blah blah.

In other words if you use Mastercard / Visa in your Avis Profile, the system DEFAULT you to agree on DCC!

Anyone who does not know about DCC / not read the long paragraph to the very last sentence, would have mindless click the SAVE button and be duped.
Quote: I got stuck with DCC at a Paris restaurant
Would really like to know which restaurant that is.

I swiped my card for 10+ times in Paris restaurants with super vigilance, but encountered no DCC at all... So I dubbed Paris safe in 2014.

Seems like next time I would be on high alert again in Paris.

Quote: Anyone who does not know about DCC / not read the long paragraph to the very last sentence, would have mindless click the SAVE button and be duped.
Dropped Avis long ago, but did see this option checked by default two years ago.
Quote: Would really like to know which restaurant that is.

I swiped my card for 10+ times in Paris restaurants with super vigilance, but encountered no DCC at all... So I dubbed Paris safe in 2014.

Seems like next time I would be on high alert again in Paris.

Dropped Avis long ago, but did see this option checked by default two years ago.
Café Le Dôme
47 Avenue de la Bourdonnais
75007 Paris
France

Definitely geared towards tourists (but what are you going to do when hungry).

This restaurant was the only place I had any trouble, my hotel and the tourism desk in Gare de Nord asked me first and of course I said Euros and I had no issues. I think in general Paris is reasonably safe in regards to DCC, but you still have to be alert. Although I only used cash for small touristy purchases.

Ironically, I also rented a car from Avis (I'm Avis preferred) in Belgium and was very confused on if it is DCC or not. When I made the reservation I could only get a quote in Dollars. I used an american express to pay and the rental was charged in dollars and was exactly the price in the reservation. The paperwork had that same language about being offered a choice of currency (I of course was never given that option). I'm not as upset about this one because I was actually charged the price I was quoted. Interestingly, I was not charged the 2.7% American Express foreign transaction fee.
Quick update: no DCC attempt in Germany so far.

Well. They still dont accept cards that widely.. even some petrol stations are cash only..
Quote: Quick update: no DCC attempt in Germany so far.

Well. They still dont accept cards that widely.. even some petrol stations are cash only..
They sure dont. Last year when we spent 10 days in Germany we were surprised how few restaurants accept cards. There are some names that have locations all over European cities, their counter parts in Prague and Budapest happily took cards but the location at Stuttgart was cash only.

The Netherlands is another EU country where card usage is very low. Not a single grocery store in Amsterdam takes card. Buying transportation tickets with card you are gauged with 0.50 euro surcharge. Then if a human had to process your transaction, then you would be out another 1 euro!
Quote: The Netherlands is another EU country where card usage is very low. Not a single grocery store in Amsterdam takes card. Buying transportation tickets with card you are gauged with 0.50 euro surcharge. Then if a human had to process your transaction, then you would be out another 1 euro!
I believe Maestro and V-Pay debit cards are very popular in the Netherlands as they attract very low (if any) merchant fees.

You'll find that the (annoying) coin only train/bus ticket machines always accept these cards without surcharge.

As for foreign visitors getting hold of these types of cards, well, there is only one mainstream bank in the UK offering Maestro to new customers (some banks previously offered this, but switched to Visa Debit) and none offer V-Pay.