FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:06 am
zsssd

I got stuck with DCC at a Paris restaurant. I handed my arrival+ to the waiter and without saying anything he ran my card through the card reader, pushed a few buttons and presented me with a receipt with DCC. I protested and told him to charge me in euros and not dollars. He claimed that he had charged me in euros and the receipt was just "showing me" what the charge translated to in dollars. I told him that this was incorrect and asked him if HE had chosen USD on the terminal. He said he had and it doesn't matter if he chooses USD or euros that it is "the same thing." I told him that it was in fact not the same thing. He seemed very confused and I further explained to him what DCC was and why it was bad. He still seemed confused and seemed slightly annoyed that I was complaining so much about it. His coworkers starting speaking to each other (they were speaking in French so I have no idea what they were saying) but eventually one of his workers chimed in and said something to the effect of that I should just pay in cash in the future (I think he honestly meant this in a sincere fashion and not in a rude way). He gave me a card with the restaurant contact information and suggested if I was still unhappy to "talk to my bank about it." I eventually gave up, circled the euro amount and signed the slip. I figured the worst case scenario is I eat the ~$1.50 difference which is better than creating an even bigger scene and potentially having the waiter try and get the police involved if I refused to sign the slip (I'm not sure what he actually would have done if I refused to sign, I'm just saying it isn't worth finding out). I contacted Barclays about this and after talking to a complaints representative they are making me submit the receipt and problem in writing. The representative said she knew what DCC was but I got the impression that she didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. I asked the representative if this is a common complaint and she said I was the first person she had complain about DCC. I made some comment about most people probably don't realize when this happens to them. Anyways, I find DCC so frustrating and wish there was a way to ban it so I didn't have to worry about it.