FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC) [2014-2016]
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:38 am
zsssd

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Would really like to know which restaurant that is.

I swiped my card for 10+ times in Paris restaurants with super vigilance, but encountered no DCC at all... So I dubbed Paris safe in 2014.

Seems like next time I would be on high alert again in Paris.

Dropped Avis long ago, but did see this option checked by default two years ago.
Café Le Dôme
47 Avenue de la Bourdonnais
75007 Paris
France

Definitely geared towards tourists (but what are you going to do when hungry).

This restaurant was the only place I had any trouble, my hotel and the tourism desk in Gare de Nord asked me first and of course I said Euros and I had no issues. I think in general Paris is reasonably safe in regards to DCC, but you still have to be alert. Although I only used cash for small touristy purchases.

Ironically, I also rented a car from Avis (I'm Avis preferred) in Belgium and was very confused on if it is DCC or not. When I made the reservation I could only get a quote in Dollars. I used an american express to pay and the rental was charged in dollars and was exactly the price in the reservation. The paperwork had that same language about being offered a choice of currency (I of course was never given that option). I'm not as upset about this one because I was actually charged the price I was quoted. Interestingly, I was not charged the 2.7% American Express foreign transaction fee.