Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by delusion
Orbitz?
I don't use Orbitz all that much and the sign-up bonus is pretty weak from what I see.

Originally Posted by garykung
Then which hotel chain do you want to stay?
If I had a preference for a certain chain that would make card selection quite a bit easier. I suppose the answer as of now is that I can go with the chain that has a decent reward program with availability at my destinations around May 2016.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Quote:

If I had a preference for a certain chain that would make card selection quite a bit easier. I suppose the answer as of now is that I can go with the chain that has a decent reward program with availability at my destinations around May 2016.
Check out the Hilton forum for hotels in Istanbul (we stayed in the Doubletree, right in the area of all the tourist attractions) then if this fits your need go for the Amex Hilton cards (2) getting Gold status and the Citi cards (2) and stay for free! Enjoy your trip great city and lots to see
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mike2200
Check out the Hilton forum for hotels in Istanbul (we stayed in the Doubletree, right in the area of all the tourist attractions) then if this fits your need go for the Amex Hilton cards (2) getting Gold status and the Citi cards (2) and stay for free! Enjoy your trip great city and lots to see
Thank you for the advice, I have been in Istanbul with a few buddies 5 years ago and it's been indeed great. We stayed at the hostel at that time and I don't think that would work for my dad.

Citi HH has a 75k bonus (and no AF), should I get that card along with one of the AMEX cards? Which AMEX cards should I get? Also read that Marriott points are more valuable. Would it be a better option?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
Which hotel card to get for the 2016 trip?

The Chase Hyatt card will get you two free nights. The Hilton card can get you free weekend nights or points you can redeem for nights - probably two nights worth depending. The IHG card gets enough points for at least 3 nights and potentially up to five depending on the property.

The question you need to ask yourself is what kind of property you want - luxury, midlevel or just anything that is free. You should also consider whether Internet access and/or breakfast are important to you. Many Asian Hiltons offer free breakfast, wifi and lounge access to gold level and you can attain gold level just by getting the card.

If you want a mix - the Hyatt card will get you two nights in a very nice property, the Hilton will do the same and then use the IHG for cheaper properties to stretch your points.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I suppose the answer as of now is that I can go with the chain that has a decent reward program with availability at my destinations around May 2016.
Most programs have been underwent devaluation. So a decent reward program is all ancient history.

May is the beginning of travel season. Availability will be tight.

Whatever you choose, Hilton is not for HKG as there is only 1 Hilton facility - Conrad Hong Kong.

If I were you, I will choose IHG Priority Club.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:32 am

Very good ideas, thank you guys.

Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
The question you need to ask yourself is what kind of property you want - luxury, midlevel or just anything that is free. You should also consider whether Internet access and/or breakfast are important to you. Many Asian Hiltons offer free breakfast, wifi and lounge access to gold level and you can attain gold level just by getting the card.

If you want a mix - the Hyatt card will get you two nights in a very nice property, the Hilton will do the same and then use the IHG for cheaper properties to stretch your points.
We're ok with mid-lever or just anything. Location is important.

Originally Posted by garykung
May is the beginning of travel season. Availability will be tight.

Whatever you choose, Hilton is not for HKG as there is only 1 Hilton facility - Conrad Hong Kong.

If I were you, I will choose IHG Priority Club.
We're traveling in early May, hopefully there will still be decent availability around that time.

We'll have 2 nights in Istanbul and 4 at Hong Kong. Based on the suggestions I've gotten so far I'm thinking about getting Citi Hilton card (no AF, 75k bonus) to cover Istanbul and maybe have some points left for other trips and IHG card (need to do some research) to cover HK stay. How does this sound?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life

We're traveling in early May, hopefully there will still be decent availability around that time.

We'll have 2 nights in Istanbul and 4 at Hong Kong. Based on the suggestions I've gotten so far I'm thinking about getting Citi Hilton card (no AF, 75k bonus) to cover Istanbul and maybe have some points left for other trips and IHG card (need to do some research) to cover HK stay. How does this sound?
I think the Hilton (Doubletree) in Istanbul will be prefect, transportation (street car) just outside the hotel and really within walking distance to numerous tourist sites. If you become a Gold member you'll also get free breakfasts which more than covers the annual fee for the CC.

If you and your Dad each got the Chase Hyatt card you would have four free nights for staying in Honk Kong.

Last edited by mike2200; Aug 8, 2015 at 11:21 am
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by mike2200
I think the Hilton (Doubletree) in Istanbul will be prefect, transportation (street car) just outside the hotel and really within walking distance to numerous tourist sites. If you become a Gold member you'll also get free breakfasts which more than covers the annual fee for the CC.

If you and your Dad each got the Chase Hyatt card you would have four free nights for staying in Honk Kong.
Good ideas, thank you. Didn't mention this before, but my dad lives outside of the US and isn't eligible for the US credit cards.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Sorry to say - you are day-dreaming.

May 1 is the Chinese (Mainland) holiday week. Many Chinese (Mainland) rushes to Hong Kong during that week. The demand for hotels are high at that time.

Based on the suggestions I've gotten so far I'm thinking about getting Citi Hilton card (no AF, 75k bonus) to cover Istanbul and maybe have some points left for other trips and IHG card (need to do some research) to cover HK stay. How does this sound?
No comment.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:50 pm

An update to my situation. In the next few month I anticipate having access to ~60k TY Pts (will probably use them for flights though), 80k IHG pts and 100k MR pts. What's the best strategy to use them for hotel booking?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An update to my situation. In the next few month I anticipate having access to ~60k TY Pts (will probably use them for flights though), 80k IHG pts and 100k MR pts. What's the best strategy to use them for hotel booking?
Check the inventory first.

You can have unlimited miles or points but the program chooses not to let you use it.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 11:28 am

Best Hotel Card??

Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I currently carry a Chase Sapphire Preferred and a Chase Freedom, both earning Chase points. My plan has always been use these cards to earn points for Southwest and United points. Southwest for domestic and United for International flights.

What would be a good card to pair with these points?

Would I be good to get a Hyatt card since I can transfer Chase points to Hyatt? Should I just continue to use my CSP and earn the points instead of splitting it between it and a new card.

Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Which which hotels do you usually stay?

Starwood is great because you can transfer points at a good rate to other airlines, if you don't use them for a stay of course.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt has the smallest "footprint" (you find their hotels in the fewest places) of all the "major" hotel programs. You need to make sure that Hyatt program would work for you (based on where you travel) before committing to it. It's fairly useless, for example, in most mid-size or smaller cities.

But there are many ways to look at "pairing". For example, if you routinely travel to small towns with only Best Western, Choice, and/or WyndhamRewards (and none of the "majors"), you might need of those. If you routinely travel to Africa, you might need Marriott. If you routinely travel to Scandinavia (beyond the big capital cities), you need Club Carlson, Choice, or Best Western. And so on.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:34 pm

I am fairly new to the game, so I currently have no allegiance to any specific place. We just want to be able to travel cheap and stay in something thats at least not a hostel. We don't need super fancy. I'd like to stretch the points we do get over the most stays. We'd like to have options for weekend getaways here and there as well as save some for a big international trip. Mostly likely Europe when that time allows.

I've personally never booked a stay at a Hyatt property, but totally not against it. Just was asking about them since they are transferrable through Chase.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.