Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
I did an analysis of my 2014 redemptions, you can see the details here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...4-numbers.html

Notwithstanding the endless discussion about "value", the bottom line for me is that I'd rather put my spending on airline cards vs. hotel cards unless I am really flush with miles.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
OP, can I ask what your preferences are? Where do you travel, how often, yourself or with family, are you looking for luxury or a roof over your bed? All due respect, your question is impossible to answer with any degree of accuracy without some details.

I strongly suggest you start with this priceless app: www.awardmapper.com (not mine, I wish!). Check destinations you're interested in, and see what properties are there to begin with.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by raccah
RyanNYNJ - why is the SPG not worth renewing? If I spend money on SPG rooms I get great bonus when I pay for the room with the card???
Sorry I was assuming only award stays. Obviously if you have paid stays or cash and point stays then it is worth keeping. My point was unlike the other hotel cards there is no anniversary night or points that come with the SPG. But like with any card....If you can get the AF waived or get starpoints then why not keep it.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I vote yes to IHG and Hyatt cards.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:17 am

IMO Any AMEX with an Annual Fee <$100 is worth renewing, but not for the stated benefits - the profit is in Small Business Saturday/Amex SYNC offers, which are worth potentially $3-400/yr as long as you add authorized user cards.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
The DW and I are planning on getting this one next year when our youngest leaves for college.

We can put those to good use for weekend getaways.

Originally Posted by binnycode
IHG is a go. 80k points to signup, Platinum Elite Status (highest) and 1 free night every year at any property. Well worth the $49 in year 2.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:39 pm

So I got the Club Carlson Preimer and Us Airways

Was thinking about either IHG or Marriott, but decide just wait for it, due to can not justify which one overall is better. So maybe later on they may have a better offer in the summer or fall
Old May 21, 2014, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
- Ritz Carlton - ($200 airline fee reimbursement, $100 hotel credit on 2+ nt stays, 3 club upgrades, $395 fee) - 2.5
Just as an aside, the RC card now comes with a $300 airline fee reimbursement and a 10% annual bonus.
Old May 21, 2014, 5:49 pm
jmw

I'm going to throw this alternative out there if you can spend (either real or imaginary):

Get the 100K bonus on Citi AA Exec cards (churnable) instead and redeem it for hotels. It does not include resort fees. CPM varies, but it's greater than 1.0. If you have a non-Exec AA card, you'll get 10% back on the miles spent on the hotel as well. Not the best for aspirational hotel nights, but a good way to burn the surplus AA miles that many of us have.

Two free nights at top tier hotels from hotel card signing bonuses will barely beat this, but it makes a lot of sense for those who don't need to stay at the best hotel in location X.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:55 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Mosaic
Originally Posted by jacobsta811
IMO Any AMEX with an Annual Fee <$100 is worth renewing, but not for the stated benefits - the profit is in Small Business Saturday/Amex SYNC offers, which are worth potentially $3-400/yr as long as you add authorized user cards.
+1. Forgot abt small business Saturday and amex offers. $300 in savings seems on the high end if you're only using normal everyday spend amexoffers e.g. gas, lowes, staples, etc... but you definitely recoup the annual fee. Yea I'll be keeping my SPG especially now that amex is not churnable and I don't have any amex cards that could replace it in my rotation.

Thanks for reminding me.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:12 am

Which of the hotel card bonus offers is best? Is there any way to cash out? Perhaps with gift cards?

I don't care for staying in fancy nice hotels.
Old May 22, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yukon50
Which of the hotel card bonus offers is best? Is there any way to cash out? Perhaps with gift cards?

I don't care for staying in fancy nice hotels.
If you use hotel cards to cash out for gift cards, the value is horrible, typically even worse than a cash-back card.

Think about it: Hotel points (and airline miles) are such a good value when used for hotel rooms and airline seats because they are giving away "excess capacity". There is no "excess capacity" in gift cards, the hotel program actually has to pay hard cash (at a poor value) for gifrt cards, which is why redeeming hotel points or airline miles for gift cards is also a poor value.

But I don't care for staying in fancy nice hotels either. However, I perefer staying in a decent hotel for points or a certificate, rather than paying $$$/night (or sleeping on the sidewalk?), in situations where just decent hotels are going for high "cash" rates.

So while some people tout hotel cards for high-end luxury hotels, ignore them. Pay attention to those people who use hotel cards just to save money on "simply decent" hotels.

Hotel cards can be used for good value also at "simply decent" hotels when the rooms are priced high in dollars but low in points. (And, in fact, the points from a card will go much further if you only use them for "simply decent" hotels, compared to if you use them for "fancy" hotels.)

For example, I used a Marriott cat 1-5 cert (which you get for paying the $85 annual fee starting year 2 of having the card) for a $200+/night Courtyard hotell on Maui when no hotels on Maui were less than $150/night. (I got more nights at the same Courtyard on points. I don't need some fancy resort on Maui, the Courtyard was actually closer to many non-beach activities, like Road to Hana, the Iao Needle, the volcano mountain, etc, than the fancy resorts were!). I used another such Marriott cert on a Fairfield Inn at BUF airport when I was flying in late (bound for Niagara Falls the next day) and didn't want to drive beyond the airport area that night but all the airport hotels were $150++.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 22, 2014 at 12:10 pm
Old May 22, 2014, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by RyanNYNJ
+1. Forgot abt small business Saturday and amex offers. $300 in savings seems on the high end if you're only using normal everyday spend amexoffers e.g. gas, lowes, staples, etc.....
Keep in mind that most Amex cards *don't* charge more for authorized user cards. So it really is 2, 3, 4x savings depending on how many cards you get. I know I currently have 7 total amex cards, and I used them all in a bunch of promotions in just the last few months, to buy Visa/MC gift cards (Staples) or merchant gift cards (Lowes) or gas (BP).
Old May 22, 2014, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by terpfan101
Signup Bonus Rating (1-5 with 5 being highest) and takes into account first year fee/credit pull:
- Hyatt (two free nights) - 5
- Fairmont (two free nights) - 5
- Club Carlson (85k points which is almost 100k after min spend met) - 4
- Hilton Reserve (two free weekend nights) - 4
- Marriott Rewards Premier (one free night cat 1-4, 50/70k points) - 3.5
- IHG card (60/80k points) - 3/3.5
- SPG cards (25/30k points) - 3
- Hilton Surpass/free Amex Hilton/free Citi Hilton - 2
- Ritz Carlton (70k points, gold for first year) - 2
Club Carlson signup bonus (~100k) gets you at least 4 nights because it's BOGO. I think that is worth more than 2 nights at Hyatt or Fairmont.

1 CC sign up got me 4 nights in Europe this fall. I couldn't be happier Well, I'll be even happier if I get approved for the business card too.

Last edited by waingro; May 22, 2014 at 5:38 pm
Old Jun 1, 2014, 4:18 am

Programs: AA LTG, Marriott LTP. 50% Delta LTS, Working on Hyatt LTD
Easy answer: hotel cards (and lately even airline cards) are only good for sign up bonuses. They are only worth holding if they offer an unlimited free night and you will actually use it at a higher cost than annual fee (which doesn't happen for me since I don't plan travel). Don't ever spend on them though.

For spend you're much better off with Chase UR or 2% cash back card. Possibly Amex MR as well, but Amex is pretty worthless overseas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.