Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:43 pm

I'm a fan of the club carlson program personally. With buy 1 get one free for award nights, plus the huge sign up bonus and business card availability, I think it is the easiest card to milk for the maximum amount of points.

For just 1 card and 1 trip, I'd probably opt for Hyatt.

SPG is probably best for spend.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by nall
The Ritz Carlton card gives you Gold at Ritz (and therefore Marriott, as well.)
The Ritz Card has a $395 annual fee.............nice comparison to the $49 IHG
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
Originally Posted by flyer4512
and you only keep that status after year 1 if you spend 10k.

Compare that to hilton card: gold status automatically and free night anywhere for 10k spend.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by mintcilantro
and you only keep that status after year 1 if you spend 10k.

Compare that to hilton card: gold status automatically and free night anywhere for 10k spend.

I believe I read recently that people were churning the Reserve Card. If so there is no need to spend $10k for one night when $2500 gets you 2 nights
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512
This was not a statement of which card is best, but rather an answer to the question about which card gets you Marriott gold.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Not to be wishy-washy, but it really depends on where you want to go.
I really like my Club Carlson for upcoming Europe stays. But they have almost nothing in Asia. And if you want to go skiing in Colorado or Utah, it's pretty useless except for staying at the airport.

For general redemption value, I am finding good value for SPG in Asia and other places (mid range hotels).

And if you have a high value dream place for a weekend, then the Hyatt or Fairmont are great for the first year bonus, but not much good after that.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 12:12 pm

Best credit cards for hotel points??

What is your advice? I usually prefer Hilton or Marriott chains. What are the best credit cards for points, no black outs, etc. Your knowledge would be appreciated. Since I have airline employee discounts, the air travel award isn't terrible important ... I need some breaks on hotel charges. Info on other chains also appreciated.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Gold.

There is a 70k Marriott premier card offer. I see our on my account page. Good for one night stay at RC properties or more days at a lower tier. It popped up on my account as soon as I applied for the 50k version. waiting to hear back from Chase to get new offer instead
Old Apr 9, 2014, 8:58 pm

For hilton, the citi HHonors no fee card is churnable so you can get the 50k sign up bonus every few months. There are also Amex Hilton cards so with sign up bonuses alone you could really rack up some points.

I'm also a frequent Starwood stayer so I like the SPG card.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 9:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Get them all...2 diff. Marriott cc's from Chase, 2 diff. HH cc's from Citi, and 2 diff. HH cc's from Amex...I would look at SPG as well
Old Apr 9, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
US Bank Club Carlson. 85K miles, and since you can get two nights for the price of one as a gold elite, it's like 170K if you use them wisely. There is nothing in the world of CC bonuses that's quite like it.

Although, they do appear to have blackouts and change levels on the whim, so it's not all peachy.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:17 pm

Hotel CC Worth it???

Hi all,

I am new to the site, just want to know all these HOtel CC, are they really worth it?

Chase Marriott Preimer
US Bank Club Carlson
Chase IHG
Citi HHonors

the reason is award chart is high for certain hotels, and you need a large amount of points for 1 night, makes it not worth it overall.

Is there any hidden perks or secrets about these cards
Old May 19, 2014, 8:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'll focus on two, as I don't have much experience with the rest.

Citi HHonors: Not worth it unless you churn it. Great $0 annual fee 50k bonus, but as you mentioned, HHonors is quite devalued, so you need either many cards or a lot of spending to redeem. Not great additives to this card as far as status or retention bonus, but again free, so not really necessary.

US Bank Club Carlson has a strong sign-up bonus plus great redemption opportunities with stay 2 award nights, and get the third for free. Also, with most redemptions, the annual fee is setoff by the annual bonus points. Also yields a very high point value per dollar (with non-hotel spend), which adds up faster than most hotel cards.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Take a close look at the SPG AMEX card.

Great redemption rates in Asia. 5000 mile bonus on 20,000 mile airline transfers for most carriers.

Usually during the summer they offer a good deal for first time holders. Also if you refer a SO or friend you get a 5000 point bonus, up to 60,000 points.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:32 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Hotel CC Worth it???

it is against the rules to post the same thing twice. I have flagged for moderators. Use the search function and youll see there are threads dedicated to discussing the plusses and minuses of each card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.