Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The dust has settled - which hotel credit card is now king?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Best Hotel Card??

Have you looked at IHG Chase - 70K Seems to be available to anyone now. Targeted offers of 80K also available
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Based on the information you have provided, I would look into IHG or Marriott. Both have basic level properties along with higher end locations and both are pretty well represented in the US. Hyatt locations can be limited and even the basic properties can be fairly costly,depending on location.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clokwise
Mostly likely Europe when that time allows.
Unfortunately there is not one hotel chain that works everywhere in Europe. So you'll have to figure out where you're going in Europe and what hotel chains (if any) are there well ahead of time to figure out which cards can help you with that. (Or else change your plans of where to go in Europe based on which cards you already have.)

As I said as an example, in Scandinavia (which is part of Europe), no hotel program helps out (outside the capital cities) other than Club Carlson, Choice (redemption only), or Best Western. But Choice is useless in Spain (no properties anywhere in the country), as another example.

There are lots of "why doesn't hotel program X have any hotels in [some sizable city in Europe]" all over FT. No one hotel program has properties everywhere.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by clokwise
What would be a good card to pair with these points?
Hotel cards work differently from airline cards.

So there is nothing you can really pair per se.

If you travel cheap, stay the same way. There is no need to commit to a particular program.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by dpmays
Hyatt
SPG
IHG
Marriott
Carlson
Fairmont

All six, in that order.

The rest aren't worth it in my circumstances.
I am a huge fan of premium hotel stay experience. Here's my thinking:

SPG -- great value for $ spent
IHG -- one night free every year with lowest annual fee
Citi Hilton -- one night free with $10K spending -- like it more than Hyatt as this free night is in any Hilton Hotel.
Fairmont -- one night free with $12K spending -- like it more than Hyatt as this free night is in any Fairmont Hotel.
Hyatt -- One night free every year (cat 1-4)
Wyndham -- one night free after $annual 4500 spending -- have read it on some forums that some top end properties are not participating in this program
Marriott -- one night free every year in (cat 1-5)
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:58 pm

Unless I'm wrong, I thought my Wyndham Visa got 15,000 points (one free night) each year, with no spending requirement.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ImSeeker
Unless I'm wrong, I thought my Wyndham Visa got 15,000 points (one free night) each year, with no spending requirement.
You are lucky. The most recent card has a different language: Earn 6,000 Bonus Points after your account anniversary every year3.

So, 6,000 points every year when the AF is due and if you spend $4,500, you get the extra 9,000 points required for the free nigh.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...d=GGLPS0514WHK
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho
You are lucky. The most recent card has a different language: Earn 6,000 Bonus Points after your account anniversary every year3.

So, 6,000 points every year when the AF is due and if you spend $4,500, you get the extra 9,000 points required for the free nigh.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/apply/...d=GGLPS0514WHK
Yep, you are right. That is definitely different language vs what I signed up for earlier this year. Guess I should hold on to that card. 69 bucks for a free night each year is cool.

(Just used 4 free nights in New York at Wyndham Garden Chinatown - 349 per night.... no charge.)
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:41 pm

oh - to address your wyndham "opt out" comment - yes it seems some may be doing so, but not quite yet. time to watch and see what happens. even hawaii is still available - at the moment.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by ImSeeker
Yep, you are right. That is definitely different language vs what I signed up for earlier this year. Guess I should hold on to that card. 69 bucks for a free night each year is cool.

(Just used 4 free nights in New York at Wyndham Garden Chinatown - 349 per night.... no charge.)
That's incredible. I am pretty convinced hotel cards offer better bang for the buck than airline miles -- unless one is using for EQMs.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
As of September 2015, do any hotel cards:

A) Give a free night per year (offsetting the fee)
B) Give status (which may include free breakfast or premium wifi) without spend?

Looking for a catch-all hotel card. I have the Marriott card but no status + cat 1-5 cert is weak.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pritomd
As of September 2015, do any hotel cards:

A) Give a free night per year (offsetting the fee)
B) Give status (which may include free breakfast or premium wifi) without spend?

Looking for a catch-all hotel card. I have the Marriott card but no status + cat 1-5 cert is weak.
A)

IHG - AF $49 - Any hotel
Hyatt - AF $75 - Cat 1-4
Citi Hilton Reserve - AF $95 - Any hotel weekend night with $10,000 annual spend.

B)
Citi Hilton Reserve - Free breakfast and internet, room upgrade and sometimes executive club access.
Hyatt - Free premium internet and bottle of water daily.
IHG - Free wifi and 1 bottle of water and doritos per stay...
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Holy moly! The IHG card seems like it may be a no-brainer! Mid-tier status + free night no restrictions more than makes up for the card...even if I don't use it that much..

Mid tier at other brands is nice too. Nice that there is chance of better room/upgrade. Disappointed that breakfast isn't necesarilly available comp with the status. But the main thing is offsetting the AF and IHG seems to do that but.......how is the availability with the Hyatt? I'm not familiar, but Marriott is 1-5 and 1-5 is nothing I would ever use. Does Hyatt 1-4 ever include anything in a city?

I am definitely eyeing the IHG card.

It makes me feel like these cards are so much better than the Marriott Premier......
Old Sep 29, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Holy moly! The IHG card seems like it may be a no-brainer! Mid-tier status + free night no restrictions more than makes up for the card...even if I don't use it that much..

Mid tier at other brands is nice too. Nice that there is chance of better room/upgrade. Disappointed that breakfast isn't necesarilly available comp with the status. But the main thing is offsetting the AF and IHG seems to do that but.......how is the availability with the Hyatt? I'm not familiar, but Marriott is 1-5 and 1-5 is nothing I would ever use. Does Hyatt 1-4 ever include anything in a city?

It makes me feel like these cards are so much better than the Marriott Premier......
The Marriott card usually makes sense if you stay in Marriott properties often. The Cat 5 certificate has definitely lost it's luster,but we often use it for airport locations when we have an early flight out. It gives you Silver status(15 nights) which is a good start toward Gold if you use Marriott, and it does give you a points multiplier for hotel stays if you collect Marriott points

Hyatt locations are not as plentiful as many other chains.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:10 pm

I agree - the IHG card is a no brainer. I just have to get Chase to let me get yet one more card (I'm playing the credit card game too much and need to back off some.)

So, I'm telling myself to breathe and wait a bit, maybe the 70,000 or 80,000 point offer will come back vs. the current 60,000.

Oh - make sure you get the offer with the $50 statement credit if you go for the current 60000 offer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.