Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott to Become Largest Hotel Company in Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2014, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Points earned on room rate only at Protea hotels.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold

This is definitely great news!

Marriott Signs Letter of Intent to Acquire Protea Hotel Group's Hotel Operations and Brands: Expects to Become Largest Hotel Company in Africa

Here is the press release:

http://news.marriott.com/2013/11/mar...nd-brands.html
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:50 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Good news I suppose although I have not been that impressed with the Protea hotels I have stayed in. I much prefer Southern Sun and I think they would have been a better match to Marriott on a quality level.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:18 am

Could be interesting, Protea have some nice newish properties around South Africa.

I've only stayed in one Southern Sun (Durban) and it seemed an oldish property.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: None - previously UA
This is probably a good move strategically, South African companies are experienced with doing business in the rest of Africa, where the expansion opportunities are. However their is some work to do to improve the consistency of the product.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:36 am

Marriott CEO on CNBC coming up next to discuss Africa Aquisition

probably be on their website later.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
CEO Arne Sorenson on CNBC on the acquisition.

Arne Sorenson talks about the expected addition of Protea Hotels to the Marriott Int'l portfolio.

He seems to always be on CNBC.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by gigglemal
Could be interesting, Protea have some nice newish properties around South Africa.

I've only stayed in one Southern Sun (Durban) and it seemed an oldish property.
The Beverly Hills Hotel, situated on the uMhlanga beach front is handy for Durban and a very nice property ^.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
I think this is great! We are going to DAR in August of next year and was already starting to stress about where we would be staying.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
"The parties stated that they plan to sign definitive agreements by year-end 2013 and the transaction could close in the first three months of 2014."

Cheers.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
How is 116 hotels the largest hotel group in Africa? Surely they should have said South Africa?

I think the Aga Khan has more hotels. And even if 116 were the top, is 116 hotels across a massive continent really something to brag about? If Marriott ever managed to put one hotel in the capitol of every country in Africa, that would be something to brag about.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 2:42 pm

Some of their "Pride Collection" hotels (the game reserves in particular) look like pretty sweet redemption opportunities. They seem to average $900-$1000/day as they are all inclusive.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:58 pm

http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-protea-hotels
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
Marriott buys Protea Hotels in South Africa?

Hi:

I saw an article in the WSJ stating that Marriott bought this South African chain. Since then, however, I have not seen anything confirming the purchase nor is anything listed on the official website.

Has anyone else heard or read this information? If so, when can we expect to start using Marriott points?

Thank you.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Old news....actually so old that the 2 other threads on this topic are now on page 2 of this forum.....

Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
Hi:

I saw an article in the WSJ stating that Marriott bought this South African chain. Since then, however, I have not seen anything confirming the purchase nor is anything listed on the official website.

Has anyone else heard or read this information? If so, when can we expect to start using Marriott points?

Thank you.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
Hi:

Thank you.
As BKKLEE mentions, there are 2 other threads re: this. To answer your question, though, from a link in the other thread. The deal is expected to close by end of Q1 2014, so I wouldn't expect it to be available before then.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.