Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:19 am

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by pinguy
Wife and I both applied for Arrivals card yesterday. Both apps received the ten day decision notice. We both have FICO's around 800 with low credit utilization. My CU is 6% and SO is 1%. Only flag might be our three new cards from Chase in past two weeks. (two SW cards and one MP EXP)

Based on some posts here, I'll wait it out and see what they say.

Update: Today's mail brought pre-approved letter for a Barclays Rewards MC! LOL

I know it's not really pre-approved just pre-screened but still pretty funny after they are analyzing my app from last week.

Update #2. Got impatient today and called Barclay's recon. A blogger suggested not to wait so I called. After a couple basic questions got approval for 15k CL. Not sure if I would have been approved anyway but the CSR didn't seem concerned that I called. YMMV
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:22 pm

got an email yesterday I was approved. it was after a week. should be here tomorrow.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 3:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
Have one US Airways card. I was going to hold off on applying for my 2nd one until 6 months later.

In the mean time, for my next AOR, was thinking about going for the Arrival card, which is also Barclays. If I sign and get approved, will this hurt my chances of getting a us airways card the 2nd time?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Approval email received after 4-5 days. First Barclay card, not sure about CL just yet. Application was third in a mini AOR (1 chase bus, 1 chase personal, 1 Barclay)
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Approval email came 15 days after application. I never called or made inquiries about my application status.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Just need to post so I can remember.. just applied. I already have a US air with minimal use and have a Choice Privileges & Princess , keeping fingers crossed.. got the same 10 day response message everyone else is getting.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:28 pm

If you are a heavy churner this card (Barclay) may not be for you......... they seem to have caught on to the heavy churners and found way to lock them out. I just got turned down and called the recon line and was told I have gotten a total of 13 new CC in the last year and was declined for that reason alone. They said stop applying for credit for about 12 months and try back then, I guess I am done with them because thats not an option.
My past Barclay cards
Frontier Air 2010
US Air 2011
NFL 2012
US Air 2012
I seem to be black listed
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by chliansh
I seem to be black listed
Not blacklisted, just maxed out with Barclays for now.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
Not blacklisted, just maxed out with Barclays for now.
Nope they are all closed...I closed the last Barclay Us air card 90 days ago.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by whatmakes
Have one US Airways card. I was going to hold off on applying for my 2nd one until 6 months later.

In the mean time, for my next AOR, was thinking about going for the Arrival card, which is also Barclays. If I sign and get approved, will this hurt my chances of getting a us airways card the 2nd time?
If the US card is your first Barclays card, keep in mind they most likely won't approve another card until 5+ months out, in case your next AOR is before then.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 9:50 am

got my arrival card and confirmed the bonus of 40k after 1k in 3 mo. spend is easy to meet. not going to look at another barclay for a while, as suggested above.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 10:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I wrote a post recommending not applying for a Barclays for at least 6 months and make sure you have activity on your card. Don't just toss it in a drawer.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:16 pm

Is this card churnable? Has anyone churned it already?

When my 1-year comes up next Spring, I don't feel like paying $89 for the privilege to keep it, but I like the 2.2% reward scheme. So, I plan to close it and reapply in 6 months.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 5:03 pm

I got the U.S. Airways with a paltry $1500 CL last October. Earlier this year I was denied for a second U.S. Airways card two different times. Both times I was told that I had too much new credit and was not established enough with Barclay's. (About 10 new cards in the past year across all banks.)

This time on a whim I decided to apply for the Arrival Card. I have had the other card with Barclay's for 10 months now so I figured why not. Due to mixed data, I decided to wait until I cancel my U.S. Airways card after a year before applying for another one of those.

Much to my surprise I was instantly approved for the Arrival card with a $5,000 CL. I guess my slightly longer history with Barclay's helped. Hopefully I will be able to get another U.S. Airways card in a few months now that they seem to be a bit friendlier.

Either way, their recon people have not been very nice when I called in the past. I was glad to see the instant approval and avoid that. Unfortunately my Citi and Chase apps were not instantly approved so I still have some phone calls to make!
Old Sep 4, 2013, 11:07 am

Data Point.
My 1st 2 cards were US Air and Frontier (same day) approval 7 months ago, a few weeks later I opened an Arrival card for my wife (follow up call for approval)
Last Month I tried for my own Arrival, I called the recon line after a few days, I was ready for the questions and prepared a script, found on here from another poster... US Air for international travel, Frontier for domestic, now I wanted to "capture expenses" of rental cars and hotels with the arrival card. They move some of my credit line from the US air and put in on the arrival card.

2nd Data Point.. just got back from a week long trip where I stayed a few days at a local mom & pop type hotel. Checked my account this morning to find the Mom & pop hotel have a merchant code as a "store" (although there was no store at all on the premises) the transaction is not showing up on my account as something I can use the rewards benefit to offset.
I'm going to make some phone calls to the hotel and Barclays, but I'm not optimistic.
Learning point - always check the hotels merchant code BEFORE booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.