Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:15 pm

I was interested in both Barclays Cards, Miles&Mores + Arrival, instantly approved the first, the second one was pending, Called recon and shot down for the second one. Before applying, I had 1 USAirways cancelled this Jan (no churn record on this card). Possible to get 2 cards approved during 1 day? Thanks
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:45 pm

Odd question.

Finally got approved, but there's a trip I need to book before I'll receive the card. Any way to get the card number online?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:44 am
KPT

Programs: JAL Sapphire
Anybody had to file a dispute yet with this card? How do they compare to Capital One and BoA (who seem to be in the ditch as far as customer service satisfaction goes)?

Looks like they require written correspondence or a phone call...is this the year 2000?
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:15 am

The customer service reps are not well versed in the benefits of this card. I have not had to file a formal complaint but I have had to make numerous calls to the customer service supervisors line to get rewards properly credited.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
Hi, I have commented about my experience with this card on MMS blog. Hope it helps someone. Here it goes:
"I have a very odd data point to report. In spite of all the problems with Barclay’s , I took a chance on this card anyway. I am a stay at home mom with no income. So, about 4 months ago I applied for US airways card. I put honestly on the app only my annual interest( about 2000 dollars) and naturally got rejected. After reconsideration call, I did manage to get approved though. I barely used the card after bonus. When I saw the Arrival card, I really wanted it. Additionally, I saw , that a new law was passed, where I may be able to count my husband’s income. I used my US airways card for a couple of weeks , leading to my application, because Barclay’s does not like inactivity on their cards. So, on my app , I put in my husband’s income this time, but still put homemaker (honestly) on occupation. The app went into pending and I really had little hope of approval. I did have 2 prior inquiries on Transuinion in the last 6 months, and about 4 total new cards added (I managed to convince other issuers to give me credit cards, by shifting credit lines et. cetera) So, after 10 days, the credit analyst called me (!) and wanted to check , whether I meant to put “homemaker”. Indeed… I told her truthfully about the situation and asked about the new law. She was aware of it, but said Barclay’s at this point chooses not to count household income. I thought it was over at that point, but she asked me how much savings we have (not much), and our house value (paid off, worth around 100 thousand) . She than put me on hold and approved me with 2500 limit. Looks, like I still should get 40000 points. I have no idea, why Barclay’s finds me a desirable customer. My theory: 2 inquiries in 6 months is usually OK (BTW I was never asked about any other apps) , they like to see virtually no debt and some usage on other Barclay’s cards.Or maybe , it was just a fluke, you decide. Strange bank…"

Last edited by philemer; Jul 10, 2013 at 4:22 pm Reason: remove link
Old Aug 1, 2013, 8:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Thinking about getting this card but question, I know using the points for travel is pretty straight forward, but can the points be used for a credit on a baggage fee?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG, American airlines , BA club and others
You should be able to use the points, although I have not tried it myself. As long, as the charge is billed by airline, I don't see, why it would pose a problem.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
This seems to be a beast to be approved for. Had an AOR 6mo back and declined despite a score of 803. Wife too got declined. Guess I am not going to waste any more apps on this. We both did get us air 6mo back
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:28 am

Programs: Plat IHG, Marriott Rewards Silver, CSP, Ink Bold, USDM, *Wood Gold, AA, Club Carl
Did your AOR include a Barclays card?

I think it must - they are brutal with denying on too many inquires or too many accounts with us and not willing to move CL and close cards.

Originally Posted by raghu455
This seems to be a beast to be approved for. Had an AOR 6mo back and declined despite a score of 803. Wife too got declined. Guess I am not going to waste any more apps on this. We both did get us air 6mo back
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:10 pm

Wife just got approved for this card after AOR in late January. Had one existing Barclays card. I put about $100 a month on that card for two months before applying for this card. Got approved with a $5000 limit, but they were very clear they did not like all of the recently opened accounts.

I think using an existing Barlcaly card before making another application is helpful.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, IHG Spire, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Anyone know how Barclay's treats Chase gift card purchase and Amazon payments transfers?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 1:37 pm

Programs: HHonors diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by vodkashine
Did your AOR include a Barclays card?

I think it must - they are brutal with denying on too many inquires or too many accounts with us and not willing to move CL and close cards.
Yes had 1 US Air which was approved. Even US bank seems to be better at this point as wife was approved from Club carlson automatically. I generally try to avoid 3mon AORs and stick to 6mo AOR with some cards like AA thrown in between. But general rule I am following is mini AOR every 6mon.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Things are not looking good for me. I applied on Monday 29 July, went to pending. I just checked the online app checker, still in pending. I am also on 6 month AORs and I did 6 apps in Jan (one of which was a Barclay's 30k Wyndham) got denied for sufficient credit. I had the US card with 10k anniversary bonus and BW card which I only got for Grand Slam hits in 2011. I cancelled the BW card last month and kept the US card and spent $500 as they offered me 2500 miles bonus. I have since paid that bill in full.

Historically Barclays has never auto approved me but in 2010-2011 I didn't have any problems getting cards approved through the system or on reconsideration.

I did 5 July apps, Chase Freedom & Ink, Amex PRG (all approved), Citi AA (pending) and this card. I just wish they would hurry up and give me an answer on this one. Is anyone else still waiting on an answer from this week's apps?
Old Aug 2, 2013, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tiki
Things are not looking good for me. I applied on Monday 29 July, went to pending. I just checked the online app checker, still in pending. I am also on 6 month AORs and I did 6 apps in Jan (one of which was a Barclay's 30k Wyndham) got denied for sufficient credit. I had the US card with 10k anniversary bonus and BW card which I only got for Grand Slam hits in 2011. I cancelled the BW card last month and kept the US card and spent $500 as they offered me 2500 miles bonus. I have since paid that bill in full.

Historically Barclays has never auto approved me but in 2010-2011 I didn't have any problems getting cards approved through the system or on reconsideration.

I did 5 July apps, Chase Freedom & Ink, Amex PRG (all approved), Citi AA (pending) and this card. I just wish they would hurry up and give me an answer on this one. Is anyone else still waiting on an answer from this week's apps?

Applied for Arrival on July 28 and application is still pending. Was denied in January for US Air card due to "sufficient credit" and haven't used existing cards much (NFL and Frontier), so not expecting to have much luck this time either.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: AA UA CO USair
Anyone try to buy an AA gift card from the AA site and use the full 420 credit for a travel purchase with success?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.