Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
UGH.. got denied ..asked a bunch of questions about my income which I had put on the application and seriously already having their cards they would know this. He was saying I had 12 cards opened in the last year ( actually 8) and that not much usage on them.. really? told me to come back in 6 mos for more history on accounts.. sounded like a young guy.. named Ted..

ETA: I asked earlier in this thread why my husband's credit cards are showing up on my credit report and I think the agent counted his as well as mine and it appears to be 12 instead of 8

Last edited by duranza; Sep 15, 2013 at 9:55 pm
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:02 am

Correct me if I'm wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
Buy 10 VRs: Cost is $39.50. Redeem the 10,060 points for a $100 flight/hotel room/car rental.
Slightly over 60% off but close enough for me.

I recently did exactly that on a hotel room and was able to get $15 from topcashback.com as well. So my cost for the room, which I earned points staying in, was $24.50 instead of $100.

Posted this in the manufactured spend thread, but thought it might get answered better here...

Been thinking about this lately, as I believe that I have overlooked this card. Please correct me if I am wrong in the below scenario, just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

My wife has an upcoming stay (personal) at the hyatt regency irvine. The cost for the night is $142 ai or she could use 8,000 UR's.

The cost to manufacture 8k points with Ink Bold at .0067 via staples gc is about $54.

However, If I buy $7,100 worth of VR's the cost is about $56. Plus I get 10% back which is about $14. Plus I earn GP points valued conservatively at 2 cents per point is about another $14 back. This brings the cost of the $142 down to $27. Plus I get a night and stay credit toward elite status. Am I understanding this right or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by nayrb3
Been thinking about this lately, as I believe that I have overlooked this card. Please correct me if I am wrong in the below scenario, just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

My wife has an upcoming stay (personal) at the hyatt regency irvine. The cost for the night is $142 ai...

However, If I buy $7,100 worth of VR's the cost is about $56. Plus I get 10% back which is about $14. Plus I earn GP points valued conservatively at 2 cents per point is about another $14 back. This brings the cost of the $142 down to $27. Plus I get a night and stay credit toward elite status. Am I understanding this right or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Only a couple of trivial details. You can redeem in increments of 2500 points, or the full purchase price rounded up to the next $5. So in your example you could redeem 12,500 for $125 credit, or 14,500 for $142 credit. The 10% points back is instant so if you did the full credit your points balance would only be reduced by 13,050. All points are posted and available for use as soon as the charge posts, so you don't have to wait for the statement. And you have 90 days after making a travel purchase to redeem points, so if you have an unexpected expense and not enough points to cover it, you can manufacture the spending after the fact.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 11:40 am
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by milesforfamily
My points posted the same day, I met 1000 dollar requirement.
Thanks for letting me know. Sent a mail to CS and they told me that the bonus should post within 30 days after the next statement closes. I just hope I will not have to deal with their CS to get the bonus.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by chliansh
If you are a heavy churner this card (Barclay) may not be for you......... they seem to have caught on to the heavy churners and found way to lock them out. I just got turned down and called the recon line and was told I have gotten a total of 13 new CC in the last year and was declined for that reason alone. They said stop applying for credit for about 12 months and try back then, I guess I am done with them because thats not an option.
My past Barclay cards
Frontier Air 2010
US Air 2011
NFL 2012
US Air 2012
I seem to be black listed
In the same boat! I had 10 new cards within last year but still have Fakos over 780, 100% on time payments and one US card in good standing. I even made a point of using it the month before the AOR and paying the bill so they would see I am a good, reliable customer. I waited it out, got a denied letter, then called recon. Nothing would make them budge.

I'm very annoyed since this would have been $400 off our cruise next year!
Old Sep 14, 2013, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
is the 40k sign up offer on this one the best available? (with the $89 annual fee)
Yes. The annual fee is waived the first year.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:49 am

BarclayCard Arrival annual fee & rewards

Hi,

I have a Barclaycard Arrival card, which will be charging annual fee next month. I am still having 20k rewards points to redeem. Recently I do not have travel plans so the ratio of redemption would be 2:1. So I wonder if I could convert this to a no-annual fee card and use the rewards next time when I travel? Will that require a hard-pull?

thanks,
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Slowest card delivery ever. Approved two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers
Downgrading and keeping points works with other banks (Chase, etc). But, Barclays can be a different animal. Give them a call.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 16, 2013 at 10:15 pm Reason: removed referrence to now deleted post
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Just thought I'd chime in here. This card does not get the love that the Chase cards get but I love it. It's really cool to see the 10% of what you redeem for travel go back into your account. So far I've used it for air, hotel, car and a cruise I just got off of. I've run through about 65k so far including the sign up bonus. I actually had them mo e most of my credit line from my US div. mi,es CC to Arrival so I could use it more.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:45 am

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Tiki
In the same boat! I had 10 new cards within last year but still have Fakos over 780, 100% on time payments and one US card in good standing. I even made a point of using it the month before the AOR and paying the bill so they would see I am a good, reliable customer. I waited it out, got a denied letter, then called recon. Nothing would make them budge.

I'm very annoyed since this would have been $400 off our cruise next year!
Same here.. but we have time to reapply in Jan or Feb..
I spoke to them 2x and they wouldn't budge from the line that I had too many accounts .
I just canceled the 2 other Barclays I had with them and also a Chase and Amex.
Looking to cut down on cc and to put some spend on them since those are the two points made from both agents.. told me to come back in 6 mos.
My only USAIR card annual fee will be in Feb.2014
The letter stated my Transunion score was 806 !
Old Sep 17, 2013, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
Just thought I'd chime in here. This card does not get the love that the Chase cards get but I love it. It's really cool to see the 10% of what you redeem for travel go back into your account. So far I've used it for air, hotel, car and a cruise I just got off of. I've run through about 65k so far including the sign up bonus. I actually had them mo e most of my credit line from my US div. mi,es CC to Arrival so I could use it more.
Agreed. It's a very effective all around 2.2% CB card. I love the flexibility of scoring good deals (MR, vacation, etc.), and redeeming instantly for points.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ccohen322
Agreed. It's a very effective all around 2.2% CB card. I love the flexibility of scoring good deals (MR, vacation, etc.), and redeeming instantly for points.
I love this card for the practicallity. Many times I just want to book a cheap hotel regardless of airline status. I can book that cheap hotel and use Barclaycard points to pay off the charge.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by StevenH123
Slowest card delivery ever. Approved two weeks ago and it still hasn't arrived.
It arrived today. 16 days from approval.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime PE, Hilton Dia, WN CP, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by StevenH123
It arrived today. 16 days from approval.
I was approved on 6th. Sounds like I have another week before mine arrives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.