Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Arrow

Originally Posted by Tiki
In the same boat! I had 10 new cards within last year but still have Fakos over 780, 100% on time payments and one US card in good standing. I even made a point of using it the month before the AOR and paying the bill so they would see I am a good, reliable customer. I waited it out, got a denied letter, then called recon. Nothing would make them budge.

I'm very annoyed since this would have been $400 off our cruise next year!
Originally Posted by duranza
Same here.. but we have time to reapply in Jan or Feb..
I spoke to them 2x and they wouldn't budge from the line that I had too many accounts .
I just canceled the 2 other Barclays I had with them and also a Chase and Amex.
Looking to cut down on cc and to put some spend on them since those are the two points made from both agents.. told me to come back in 6 mos.
My only USAIR card annual fee will be in Feb.2014
The letter stated my Transunion score was 806 !
Did you call this number: 866-408-4064?

I just got a reconsideration for my wife a few days ago on the second call. The only other Barclays card she has is US Air which we decided to keep beyond the 1-yr point because they agreed to waive the AF. The first one complained my wife hadn't used the card at all, and wouldn't budge no matter what I told her, the other one quickly agreed to fund the new card with the US Air balance and ended up adding 4K more. She did ask the whole bunch of questions, but it was easy.

My personal rule is to try 3 times and then give up. But you must try at least twice. Some CSRs take their jobs too seriously, I suppose.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by mnscout
Did you call this number: 866-408-4064?

I just got a reconsideration for my wife a few days ago on the second call. The only other Barclays card she has is US Air which we decided to keep beyond the 1-yr point because they agreed to waive the AF. The first one complained my wife hadn't used the card at all, and wouldn't budge no matter what I told her, the other one quickly agreed to fund the new card with the US Air balance and ended up adding 4K more. She did ask the whole bunch of questions, but it was easy.

My personal rule is to try 3 times and then give up. But you must try at least twice. Some CSRs take their jobs too seriously, I suppose.
Yep.. I have called 2x, I am in no hurry for the card, will have my husband apply next month, his number of cards is way fewer than mine and only has one Barclay card picked up in March.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:59 pm

My son's school is organizing a trip to DC which costs $599 with an option to pay by CC at $620. So the fee is about 3.4%. I am thinking of using SO's new Barclay card to pay for it since I will get 2.2% back. It is a good redemption? or which other card is better? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by Deallover
My son's school is organizing a trip to DC which costs $599 with an option to pay by CC at $620. So the fee is about 3.4%. I am thinking of using SO's new Barclay card to pay for it since I will get 2.2% back. It is a good redemption? or which other card is better? Any thoughts are appreciated.
It may very well not be a redemption at all. You can only redeem for travel at 1% if the merchant is coded as a travel provider. It sounds like you would be paying the school. I would hold off, pay cash and save the money.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT
It may very well not be a redemption at all. You can only redeem for travel at 1% if the merchant is coded as a travel provider. It sounds like you would be paying the school. I would hold off, pay cash and save the money.
+1. Barclays might want to give you a one-time courtesy, if you call them and plead ignorance, but they don't have to.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:21 pm

Denied They said too many recent accounts (0 in last 6 mo, 8 in last 12) I applied 6 mo ago, they said chill for >6 mo, and I was denied again. No luck in reconsideration (called 3x)...

Has anyone had luck writing the President's Office?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:59 am

Is there a business version of the Arrival card? I have lots of Biz spend and want it separate from my personal credit report.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by mikey1688
Denied They said too many recent accounts (0 in last 6 mo, 8 in last 12) I applied 6 mo ago, they said chill for >6 mo, and I was denied again. No luck in reconsideration (called 3x)...

Has anyone had luck writing the President's Office?
Similar response for me but more recent card opening, last one was in March also was told to put more history on the cards which to me means to use them so there is a history of balances being paid off. I called 3x. And I canceled 2 of their cards so hopefully by January I can apply for the Arrival card. This would put me at 4 more cards off the 12 mos that they seem to check.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Squeaked approval through

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead and avoid Barclays for the foreseeable future after barely squeaking through my third card with them in the last 8 months. On a pending result for my recent Arrival app, I finally called and talked to a credit rep. Congratulated me on my excellent credit and history...etc. and then asked me why I had opened so many cards. I began to tell him that I'd only opened 4 in the last 12 months (2 with Barclays) but he wanted to know why so many before that. (I probably averaged 1/month before slowing down this year.) So they are obviously on to the churning crowd and are looking back much longer than just the previous 12 months.
Considering all the grilling he put me through, I was very surprised he ended up approving the card anyway. Maybe they just have to go through the motions for their superiors? Either way, I'm not pressing my luck with Barclays for at least another 6 to 12 months. Plenty of other fish in the sea to keep my busy that are much easier to catch anyway...
Old Sep 26, 2013, 3:07 pm

Barclays Frontier switcheroo to avoid fee??

Hey guys,

I currently have the Barclays Frontier Mastercard. The annual fee is rearing its ugly head, and I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer my current balance to a different Barclays card to get a new promo and avoid the upcoming yearly fee?

Thanks a million!
Old Sep 26, 2013, 8:54 pm

Is there a better card than this for cruising?

Looking to take the family next summer for a cruise to celebrate my son's 8th grade graduation. Was originally going to do it over Easter break, but some schedules were changed up on us and we're not able to do it then. Of course, a Carribean cruise in the summer is much more expensive than in April.

I've got the airfare covered with my wife's and my SW Rapid Rewards Visa cards, but need to put a dent in the bill for the cruise. Compared to the cruise line branded cards, this seems to be a better deal with the larger bonus and 2x points for all purchases. It's also better as at this time I'm not sure which line we'll be on.

Is there any other card that might equal/surpass this one for rewards that can be put towards a cruise?

Thanks!

Chip
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by chipmonger
Is there any other card that might equal/surpass this one for rewards that can be put towards a cruise?
As a signup bonus, not that I know of. For regular spending, Capital One Venture card is basically the same. One warning - some travel providers, particularly outside the U.S., do not use merchant codes that Barclays recognizes as travel, and are not eligible for travel redemptions.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by crtnycrk
Hey guys,

I currently have the Barclays Frontier Mastercard. The annual fee is rearing its ugly head, and I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer my current balance to a different Barclays card to get a new promo and avoid the upcoming yearly fee?

Thanks a million!
I'm guessing you mean the points balance. I don't think you can transfer it, but you could buy gift cards directly from travel providers and use the points to pay for them. It is always worth a call to see if they will waive the fee or give you offsetting points for not cancelling.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 9:49 pm

As a signup bonus, not that I know of. For regular spending, Capital One Venture card is basically the same. One warning - some travel providers, particularly outside the U.S., do not use merchant codes that Barclays recognizes as travel, and are not eligible for travel redemptions.
Thanks for the heads up. Will most likely book the cruise with an Internet site like cruise.com or a local agency (if I can get them to match the internet rate) so I'd hope they would be recognized.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 1:33 am

I'm guessing you mean the points balance. I don't think you can transfer it, but you could buy gift cards directly from travel providers and use the points to pay for them. It is always worth a call to see if they will waive the fee or give you offsetting points for not cancelling.
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I meant the cash balance. Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.