Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 8, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Thread closed. Click HERE to read the new thread.

Let's crowd source things that have counted towards travel redemptions that are not so obvious

Successful
  • NS Hispeed Train Tickets (nshispeed.com)
  • Capitaine Train Tickets (capitaine.com)
  • Eurostar Train Tickets (eurostar.com)
  • DB Bahn Trains Germany (bahn.de)
  • Super Shuttle (mixed, worked in SF when (billed SUPERSHUTTLE EXECUCARS), worked in Boston (SUPERSHUTTLE BOSTON), failed in LA (SUPERSHUTTLE)
  • rail europe on travelocity
  • New York City MTA Subway Cards
  • Boston MBTA Charlie Card reload & Commuter Rail passes & tickets
  • San Francisco Clipper Card public transit (autoload from website)
  • Norwegian Cruise Line purchase made from telephone order from vacationstogo.com
  • rail JR Rail in Japan, load as tourist attraction, call in to get it credit (Post#938)
  • Alaska Airlines checked baggage fee $25 charge
  • Southwest Early Bird Check-in (billed separately from airfare charges)
  • cheaptickets.com hotel
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (ALB-NYP)
  • Amtrak train ticket >$25 (unknown destinations)
  • Buying Lifemiles from Avianca
  • Primetime Shuttle (Worked from LAX-SNA)
  • Orbitz.com purchase
  • Priceline
  • Las Vegas Show Booked through hotel
  • Hotels.com
  • WMATA (Washington DC Metro) Weekly pass

Successful - Plus Only
  • Uber
  • NYC Taxi
  • Empire State Building tickets
  • SF Taxi (coded as "YELLOW CARD SERVICES I")

Unsuccessful (please mention the amount redeemed - important as anything under $25 cannot be reimbursed)

• Amtrak (possibly due <$25 charge)
  • IHG points and cash hotel redemption
  • www.b-europe.com (SNCB rail)
  • Description: ZERVE *CA WHALES Merchant Category: THEATRICAL PRODUCERS (EXCEPT MOTION PICTURES), TICKET AGENCIES...Tickets to whale watching tour purchased over the phone.
  • Car2go
  • Hostelbookers.com deposit (maybe the charge which is >$25 will count?)
  • Thello train (France-Italy night train, codes as rail-freight)
  • Trenitalia (both online and in stations, posts as rail-freight)
  • Brazil airline GOL booked online codes as DIRECT MARKETING/DIRECT MARKETERS--NOT ELESWH ..
  • Blue Water Rafting. Merchant category "Recreation Services -- Not elsewhere classified"
  • Parking at IAH (Houston Intercontinental - on airport) -$76 (PARKING LOTS AND GARAGES)
  • Parking at SNA (John Wayne Airport)
  • Skyjump at Stratosphere Hotel LV $150 (01/14) - not charged by hotel.
  • Gotobus.com Long Distance Buses, ~$100
  • Global Entry

Don't forget travel purchase needs to be > $25 charge for 2,500 mile redemption
Partial redemptions are possible - however you cannot redeem against that charge again. So if you have a $500 charge and you spend 40K points against it, you cannot redeem 10K points for the remaining $100 of that charge.
Print Wikipost

Barclays Arrival/Arrival Cards (1.1%/2.2% travel credits)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:44 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Mirage777
How often can you apply for Barclays credit cards? I just applied for a US Air MC about two weeks ago, how long should I wait to apply for the Arrival card?
I applied for a new card two days after being approved for another card.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
I wasn't able to buy a $3K AMEX gift card. My card got frozen and I had to call to verify my account. They said I would have to call before I make a big purchase like that again. Too much hassle. My Amazon Payments went through, which met my minimum spend
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:34 pm

I just applied for this card, and received a pending status. I called recon, but they said too many new accounts (they didn't specify over what time period, but I have 1 new account within the last 3 months, and 2 more just over 3 months old, and 2 more that are just over 6 months old.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:47 pm

I was turned down because I have a huge business expense on my AMEX card(40K).......

It was paid yesterday and it has posted to zero balance.....how soon will Barclays know this info and reconsider me ??

tia
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by ezron
I was turned down because I have a huge business expense on my AMEX card(40K).......

It was paid yesterday and it has posted to zero balance.....how soon will Barclays know this info and reconsider me ??

tia
When the statement closes AMEX will report the new balance and it should show up in your credit report soon after that. BUT, you can call AMEX and ask them to fax you a "current statement balance" (which should be zero now or close to zero...as you say you just paid off the 40k). You can then send that to Barclays and they may be able to approve you. Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Citi Visa and Amex, Citi AA Biz, SPG, Amex Green, Zync, Discover It (Starbucks Gold) HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by aarif1
I just applied for this card, and received a pending status. I called recon, but they said too many new accounts (they didn't specify over what time period, but I have 1 new account within the last 3 months, and 2 more just over 3 months old, and 2 more that are just over 6 months old.
I've done several App-O-Rama since December, probably about 5 cards or so. But thankfully none of them utilize TU for the initial hard pull. My TU report is practically untouched You might have to hold off for up to a year and try to APP again.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by texasguy77
I've done several App-O-Rama since December, probably about 5 cards or so. But thankfully none of them utilize TU for the initial hard pull. My TU report is practically untouched You might have to hold off for up to a year and try to APP again.
I'm pretty sure I only have 1 or 2 TU pulls in the last year, the US Air I applied for and maybe one other, and only 3 or 4 total inquiries with TU.

The recon agent never mentioned inquiries only new accounts, both with Barclay's and other accounts.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: AOPA
HUCA

I have much more than that. i had to make a 2nd call to barlcays to get it approved.

HUCA,
Old Apr 26, 2013, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25
I have much more than that. i had to make a 2nd call to barlcays to get it approved.

HUCA,
Based on your experience, I called recon again today. The agent asked pretty much the same questions, checked my credit report, and pretty much said the same thing, too many new accounts in the last year. I asked to split my existing credit line (which I unsuccessfully asked for last time), and the agent agreed.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:32 pm

Based on your experience, I called recon again today. The agent asked pretty much the same questions, checked my credit report, and pretty much said the same thing, too many new accounts in the last year. I asked to split my existing credit line (which I unsuccessfully asked for last time), and the agent agreed.

Thanks!
Congrats on your approval, not quite the way you hoped for but at least you got in.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:53 am

I received my 40K points instantly after spending $1,000. Did not have to wait for statement to close. I even redeemed points for a hotel stay on booking.com. I am very impressed with this card so far. Seems like Barclaycard is really stepping it up. I posted a step-by-step process on how to redeem Barclaycard points if anyone is interested.
Old May 1, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: US Silver, IHG Platinum
Has anyone tried to purchase travel gift cards with these points? I was wondering if I could use the sign up bonus to buy gift cards to mariott for use at a later date, and then cancel before the annual fee comes up.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by tigermark82
Has anyone tried to purchase travel gift cards with these points? I was wondering if I could use the sign up bonus to buy gift cards to mariott for use at a later date, and then cancel before the annual fee comes up.
You should have no problems buying gift cards and requesting for statement credit.
Old May 1, 2013, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, AA, Delta, Southwest CP, Citi Prestige, MLife Platinum
Just got my card - Barclays took their sweet time, about 10-12 days to approve and another week or more to get the card. So different than Amex instant approval and card overnighted in one day....
Old May 2, 2013, 1:37 am

Thanks!
Originally Posted by teddy25

HUCA,
After reading both your comments I called a second time to see if they would approve me.

Unfortunately, no.

Reason given: Too may cc applications in the past few months. Wait until a few US Airways CC statements are paid.

Here's the time line:

Applied for Arrival's card April 13th. Was in a pending status. Called on Apr 23rd and was declined. Called again May 1st and was declined again. Reasons stated above.

Apart from this card I applied for and got approved for a US Air cc on 04/05, Chase Priority Club Visa and Citi HHonors CC in Feb, Club Carlson Visa in Mar, Chase Marriott rewards last Nov.

Excellent credit and all debt paid on time, in full, on a monthly basis.

Should I make a 3rd call to the reconsideration line or give it a rest? Any suggestions on what I can say if I were to make that call ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.