Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Credit Card Programs
Reload this Page >

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 3, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Please don't delete this Wiki.
Some of us still earn Delta miles with this card or may want information about past or grandfathered terms and conditions.

Please do not spread panic about miles not posting until after the 10th of each month.
In most cases, miles post in the evening on the 5th of each month if it's a business day, or else the evening of the next business day. "Miles post for purchases made between (inclusive) 5th day of prior month to 4th day of current month."
__________________________________________________ ____________

Current offer (as of March 2017) is for just 5,000 miles.
https://www.suntrust.com/personal-ba...les-debit-card

Most current 25,000 offer was in-branch only, through May 9, 2016:
INTRODUCING YOUR NEW EVERYDAY GETAWAY CARD: THE SKYMILES® DEBIT CARD.
Ready for a one-of-a-kind debit card that actually rewards you? Here's one that deposits miles directly into your SkyMiles account. You can earn up to 25,000 bonus miles with the SkyMiles World Debit Card from SunTrust. What's more, when you use your Card for everyday purchases, the miles add up quickly — and they'll never expire.

Here's how it works:
• Present this email at your nearest branch, or call 1-800-650-7277 and mention this offer.
• Get 5,000 bonus miles when you open or upgrade to a new qualifying SunTrust Signature Advantage Checking account with a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card and make your first qualifying purchase. If you already have a Signature Advantage Checking account, ask to upgrade your debit card to a Delta SkyMiles Debit Card.
• Get an additional 20,000 promotional bonus miles when you make 20 qualifying purchases within the first 90 days of account opening.
Continue to earn miles just for using your Card:
• Earn 1 mile for every dollar spent on everyday purchases like groceries, gas and restaurant purchases.1 (up to 4,000 per Card monthly)
• Earn 2 miles per dollar on all direct Delta purchases including flights, Delta Sky Club® passes, in-flight purchases of food and beverages and more.1
• Apply your miles toward upgrades and Award Travel to more than 1,000 destinations worldwide2 on Delta and its partner airlines.
• $75 Annual Fee (reduced fee may apply, ask for details).1
Hurry — this incredible 25,000 bonus mile offer is only available until May 9, 2016.
VISIT YOUR LOCAL BRANCH
    __________________________________________________ _____________

History of Recent Past Offers:

Changes as of 7/25/15 :
    Balanced Banking (no longer available): 95a/f, 1mile/$2 up to 2000 miles, $3000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Signature Advantage: $75a/f, 1mile/$1 up to 4000 miles, $25000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee

Solid Choice: $95a/f, 2m/$1 up to 2000 miles, $5000 daily collected balance to avoid monthly fee
    SunTrust has a list of items that aren't supposed to earn miles, but some do anyway: cash advances, cash back, ATM transactions, tax payments, payments for stored value cards, wire transfers, money transfers, money orders, cashier checks, quasi cash, travelers cheques, purchase of monetary instruments

-----------------------------------------------------------
    If SunTrust closed your account, it would be great if you could share a little info about the account history.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Print Wikipost

Truist (fka Suntrust) Skymiles Check Card [see WIKI for offers]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 2:34 pm

So to summarize for those of us in a Suntrust market:
    1) Open the account, fund with $100+, don't worry about the $3000 minimum for the first two months (maintenance fee waived)
    2) Set up direct deposit - either salary (will definitely work) or ING/Paypal/etc. (may work, see below)
    3) Get debit card and make a non-pin purchase
    4) Wait for miles to post and then keep open (if you have $3k+ available to sit in there after 60 days) or close and hope no mile clawback

Missing anything?

And 2 remaining questions:
    1) Has anyone gotten a definite or first-hand answer on whether ING/Paypal/Venmo/Amzn Payments will count as direct deposit? I'm seeing conflicting information in this thread and elsewhere online. I know Suntrust will allow ING deposits, but not sure how they are counted.
    2) Also, can anyone with an existing Suntrust acct confirm they qualified for this promo too?
    Old May 13, 2012, 3:18 pm
    ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
    My personal banker was kind enough to show the rules and instructions.
    It specifically says "we do not want to encourage" people opening accounts for miles alone. So it appears that Suntrust is starting to learn....

Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
    Not as lucrative as past offers, it does offer those unable to get a premium travel credit card a chance to play the game. The promo runs until June 30th:
    15K DL miles on opening an account with $100 minimum balance
    15K more DL miles when establishing a real direct deposit
    The check card costs $75 and there are monthly fees if you don't maintain a hefty balance.
    Suntrust Bank has been extremely good to us in the past but they have tightened considerably at least in my Hilton Head Island branch. This time they will only accept walk in applicants.
    Maybe somebody else can find a branch willing to take mail in applicants?
    I have no indication if multiple authorized users can get separate cards.
    Suntrust Delta World Check Card
    The problem is NOT getting the cards, but getting the miles this time.
    I read all the rules in depth. We were quite happy at first as the business account could have 4 users, while the personal was limited to 2. So I thought, 4x25k miles for 120$ was too good.
    Then the rules became clear - 120$ for the ACCOUNT for all cards, but only 1 bonus of 25k miles.

In summary, you get 15k for 75$ AND 25k for 120$
    So 40k for a bit less than 200 (call it 200 with the cost of gas etc)
    It works out to 0.5 cpm = OK for now, but not in large quantities like last time.
    Since you get a mid level coach for 40k this just means a free domestic for 40k miles or 200$.

The rules state that ONLY the PRIMARY user of the account would get the miles.
    So while we have 4 members in our family, we can do 5 accounts and 1 biz
    = me alone, me + spouse, +kid1, +kid2, and another
    That comes to 75k miles and the 25k gets me to 100k
    Cost 500$ total, not bad for biz class to EU on AF.

Last 2 years it was scalable to 1MM miles easily for <4000$
    Each personal card 55$ for 15k and each biz card for each person 25k.
    We went wild.
    This one is much more sedate and involves a lot more money tied up.

Last edited by ffI; May 13, 2012 at 3:32 pm
    Old May 13, 2012, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by charms81
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

If you're purely in for miles, then do it for a month or two and close the account. Its a pain to do it every month without an actual recurring deposit like a payroll. I do a recurring payroll from my business account to a personal checking account and my employer supports splitting direct deposits to 2 accounts so that takes care of the other two.
    Can someone please tell me how is the money transferred from Paypal to Sun trust account? My Paypal a/c has only one option to send money, that is to an email address.
    Old May 13, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
    Originally Posted by koolr
    Can someone please tell me how is the money transferred from Paypal to Sun trust account? My Paypal a/c has only one option to send money, that is to an email address.
    1) Log in
    2) My Account > Profile > Add or Edit Bank Account
    3) Add Bank. Go through verification / trial deposits yadda yadda
    4) My Account > Withdraw > Transfer to Bank Account
    Old May 13, 2012, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by centrifuge41
    1) Log in
    2) My Account > Profile > Add or Edit Bank Account
    3) Add Bank. Go through verification / trial deposits yadda yadda
    4) My Account > Withdraw > Transfer to Bank Account
    Thank you!
    Never mind, I understand how to do it now.

Last edited by koolr; May 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm
    Old May 14, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, CO, Delta, AA, BA, Hilton, Starwood, Marriott
    Originally Posted by ffI
    It specifically says "we do not want to encourage" people opening accounts for miles alone. So it appears that Suntrust is starting to learn....

I read all the rules in depth. We were quite happy at first as the business account could have 4 users, while the personal was limited to 2. So I thought, 4x25k miles for 120$ was too good.
    Then the rules became clear - 120$ for the ACCOUNT for all cards, but only 1 bonus of 25k miles.

It works out to 0.5 cpm = OK for now, but not in large quantities like last time.
    Since you get a mid level coach for 40k this just means a free domestic for 40k miles or 200$.

We went wild.
    Could you open account for kids online? If the answer is yes, how do you do it, kid as primary applicant and you as co-applicant? Thanks!
    Old May 14, 2012, 12:56 pm

Technical difficulties

Just a warning: twice, from two separate computers, using two different OSes and browsers, I tried to set up a SunTrust account on Sunday. Saturday they were down for 'planned maintenance' (I think they were taking the credit card option out of the account funding possibilities, there's no sign of it now). When I went back on Sunday, I got through the 'set up your account' part, including entering the Delta account number and my SSN and all that jazz. When I went to the 'fund your account' screen, I got a 'your online banking session has timed out' page instead, and there was no way to continue.

I also received an email each time, telling me that my account had been set up. The email was very unprofessional-looking: not HTML, not described as HTML in the headers, but with html tags in the body of the email, and random words that look like column names for DB lookups interspersed.

I called to get the account set up, and they found the two accounts that had been created, but apparently almost none of my personal information was actually put into the account: the customer service representative had to take down my address, my phone number, my email address, and a bunch of other stuff... the only thing she seemed to have on file was my name, my SSN, and my ID information. Oh, and she didn't offer the Delta card, she asked if I wanted a check card sent to me, and when I said I wanted the Delta card she seemed quite surprised.

Oh, and I still haven't been able to fund my account. She told me I'd get an email with my login information 'within 24 hours'... we shall see.

Finally, she wasn't in any way apologetic, until the end when I said something along the lines of 'Could you please pass along the fact that I said that this experience has been unacceptable, and your online team has got to get things together?'. At which point she said, 'I apologize if you have been inconvenienced, sir.'

Really? Your bank can't manage a simple IT function like creating a new account online, it loses all my personal information, and I have to call you to take care of it all, and you don't even volunteer an apology? I was planning on using SunTrust as my business bank; a few things I do with the business give me a discount if I use a debit card instead of a credit card, and it would be nice to earn some points on those. But ye gods, if you can't manage to make your online banking work properly, and you don't care enough to apologize for it, then I'm just going to take my damn miles and run.
    Old May 14, 2012, 3:16 pm

Does a joint account created by husband(already opened a single account with his Delta #) and wife(unique Delta # not used for any other accounts) qualify the offer? Any expermient will be appreciated.
    Old May 14, 2012, 4:01 pm

Talking Still working

I signed up over the weekend via a link in this thread. I was able to fund with a debit card and my balance is showing when I sign into the SunTrust website.

Just waiting for my card in the mail.

For me, I don't have and cards yet and use my debit card for everything day to day, so these miles will be worth it until I get my credit score up to where it needs to be.

Thanks for the info!
    Old May 14, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: Several dozen
    Yep - ST is into "relationship banking" and out of the debit card farming business. Still profitable if you intend to actually use the debit card for some volume of activities.

Originally Posted by ffI

We went wild.
    Old May 14, 2012, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
    Anyone's account got closed before even receiving all of the materials?

I got a letter:
    Originally Posted by SunTrust
    The Rules and Regulations stipulate that SunTrust may close an account for any reason without advance notice to the client.
    ...we find it necessary to discontinue our banking relationship immediately.
    ...we will not be in a position to continue to provide you with banking services, however this decision is irrevocable.
    Sincerely,
    SunTrust Bank
    Enterprise Fraud Management
    What's up with that? Only thing I can think of is that I've had a checking account in the past, when they had the $150 signing bonus, and I had it at zero for a few months before they closed it.
    Old May 14, 2012, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
    Yep - ST is into "relationship banking" and out of the debit card farming business. Still profitable if you intend to actually use the debit card for some volume of activities.
    The key thing to remember is that it must be debit card payments in order to obtain miles. Like a previous poster, I was hoping to rack up miles by paying bills online. Thus, I won't be too annoyed if they don't open an account for me since I'm in CA. Although I should be okay since I'm not in the habit of opening and closing accounts only for bonuses like other people.
    Old May 14, 2012, 6:49 pm

My account was also closed within 24 hours after I opened it online. I've called SunTrust and cannot seem to find out the reason for the closure. I expect I will receive a letter similar to the one posted above. I've never had an issue opening up a bank account before.

Is it fair business practice to deny a new banking account without explaining the reason? I find this decision to be unfounded and do not know how to proceed.

How many others are in this situation? Does anyone have any ideas?
    Old May 14, 2012, 7:21 pm

Just got the paper work and the sheet I need to sign and return to activate the account. I did notice this fee in the paper work: "Account closed within first 6 months" $25.
    Old May 14, 2012, 7:30 pm
    ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
    Originally Posted by karenfly
    Could you open account for kids online? If the answer is yes, how do you do it, kid as primary applicant and you as co-applicant? Thanks!
    My kids are old enough for their account anyway
    I am primary and they are secondary, (as only the primary card holder gets the miles) and it is MUCH better to have 150k in 1 acct than 15k in 10 accounts.

Originally Posted by mytf
    Does a joint account created by husband(already opened a single account with his Delta #) and wife(unique Delta # not used for any other accounts) qualify the offer? Any expermient will be appreciated.
    WELCOME TO FT!
    It has been along time since I did that recently
    My advice is to open single for husband, Joint for Husband and wife
    get direct deposits fot both = 30+30 = 60k in 1 acct for 300$
    In MY experience, you can open 2 (or 4) accounts and get miles in 1 DL acct, but this time around the results may vary. I am keeping my fingers crossed, as it was fine twice so far over past 3 years.

Originally Posted by baughb
    I signed up over the weekend via a link in this thread. I was able to fund with a debit card and my balance is showing when I sign into the SunTrust website. Thanks for the info!
    Another big Welcome to FT! A double welcome in 1 post.
    The links should be active till July, I think

Last edited by ffI; May 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.