Search

Chicago Seminars October 11-13th, 2013-Registration SOLD OUT

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:47 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by Dad to GO
For the spouse event hosted by Mommypoints do I need to buy another registration just for my wife and myself to attend that or is it good for both of us?
if that is the only event she is attending, I don't see why she would need to register
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA (lame duck)1K, US Plat,HHonors Diamond, PC Plat, SPG Plat, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by BenH
Fair enough - as far as it being a volunteer event and that I should not expect professionalism - that is about as much as I need to know.

Please don't read me as being hostile here
ok but certainly a bit critical of a bunch of volunteers putting something together that would be for your benefit if it's something you choose to utilize.

Yes, legitimately I can go and research all the speakers who you referenced on the first post. I can find their blogs and spend hours trying to learn about what they know and find hints about what they may be sharing. I spend as much time researching blogs speaking about past events, etc, etc...

Personally, I don't have the time (not much the inclination) to do that - at least not now.
Then my opinion is that this "hobby" that this event is all about may not be for you..

Attending the seminars typically reduces the amount of time it does require with researching this little hobby and utilizing the tips and tricks. Most of what attendees do with their miles and points doesn't just fall out of the sky (although sometimes it does) and requires some effort to learn the skills required and spend some time in place of lots of free perks and advantages the normal traveler never sees. This seminar is volunteers who dedicated tons of time finding these tips and tricks and sharing them with us but most attendees and presenters spend considerable time with this hobby researching it and understanding it. Just comes with our illness, I mean interest.

Perhaps at least linking the speakers on your first page to their respective sites - or better yet an area of their site that they would like to make available for Seminar attendees? This is just a suggestion.
I would guess if you typed any of the names into google you'd probably get an instant easy hit - almost all are bloggers are pretty well known publicized in this so-called community and are pretty damn good at making sure their blogs are ranked up top for google searches. Again - if unwilling to do some basic quick research then this may not be a seminar to attend as most of what you get out of it will still require investing time when you get home using it and playing with all these miles and tips and tricks...

So here's my suggestion... You can invest a weekend of time away from your family or friends and a small amount of money in exchange for what could likely end up being one hell of a memorable LONG vacation or travel savings that you may not otherwise be able to enjoy. Or you don't have to - you're right, it'll still sell out.

I know I got plenty out of it last year.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by jkburns1
ok but certainly a bit critical of a bunch of volunteers putting something together that would be for your benefit if it's something you choose to utilize.

Then my opinion is that this "hobby" that this event is all about may not be for you..

Attending the seminars typically reduces the amount of time it does require with researching this little hobby and utilizing the tips and tricks. Most of what attendees do with their miles and points doesn't just fall out of the sky (although sometimes it does) and requires some effort to learn the skills required and spend some time in place of lots of free perks and advantages the normal traveler never sees. This seminar is volunteers who dedicated tons of time finding these tips and tricks and sharing them with us but most attendees and presenters spend considerable time with this hobby researching it and understanding it. Just comes with our illness, I mean interest.

I would guess if you typed any of the names into google you'd probably get an instant easy hit - almost all are bloggers are pretty well known publicized in this so-called community and are pretty damn good at making sure their blogs are ranked up top for google searches. Again - if unwilling to do some basic quick research then this may not be a seminar to attend as most of what you get out of it will still require investing time when you get home using it and playing with all these miles and tips and tricks...

So here's my suggestion... You can invest a weekend of time away from your family or friends and a small amount of money in exchange for what could likely end up being one hell of a memorable LONG vacation or travel savings that you may not otherwise be able to enjoy. Or you don't have to - you're right, it'll still sell out.

I know I got plenty out of it last year.
+1

I went to my first one with a healthy dose of skeptism. Was a convert during hour one !

Of course being local my expenses are almost nil save the $ 85. But even if you are a cynic and have to spend $ 500 , I can say you will recoup your investment many times over!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: MP, OW
I was going to ask the same thing. Thanks.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Anyone staying at an SPG property? Apparently I waited too long to get a single.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:36 pm

I've registered, first time for me, I'm excited
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold,
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Anyone staying at an SPG property? Apparently I waited too long to get a single.
I am, only because I prefer SPG though. I would normally want to stay at the host site but I can get the same price and benefits at the SPG property a few miles down the road.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Lightbulb Anyone want to come to town a day early?

Lisa & me will be coming to Chicago on Thursday the 10th to have a fun day in town before the event. If anyone wants to join us we are thinking about:

http://www.chicagosegwaytour.com/

And dinner some place in town or maybe at Navy Pier since it is across from the Segway tour location.

I will update this post with ideas & plans!

Last edited by Renes Points; Mar 8, 2013 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Lisa & me will be coming to Chicago on Thursday the 10th to have a fun day in town before the event. If anyone wants to join us we are thinking about:

http://www.chicagosegwaytour.com/

And dinner some place in town or maybe at Navy Pier since it is across from the Segway tour location.

I will update this post with ideas & plans!
I'm interested. I can do dinner for sure.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by satman40

Being a local, I'd probably just slip in the back door.

I notice they do not check wrist bands..we even slip in the free food area..
Wow - just wow.

Guess Howie's going to have to order some wrist bands

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:22 pm
Formerly known as iahsumr

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
For the spouse event hosted by Mommypoints do I need to buy another registration just for my wife and myself to attend that or is it good for both of us?
No registration fee required for the spouse to come to that session. In fact, it is pretty much geared for the partners who got drug along, but don't want to go to sessions! Details to come later, but there will likely be a tiny bit of basics to help put context to why we hunt down miles and points, some commiserating that it is sometimes crazy, and most importantly some good company, good food, and good drinks provided at no charge to our partners who tolerate our insanity. Basically, it is our present to them.

No clue what the demand will or won't be for this session, but attendance will be capped relatively low due to space and food/drink service.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:48 pm

I was looking on Eventful for some things going on in the area during the same weekend and got excited when I saw that the Northlight Theatre is featuring a performance of a play titled “4000 Miles.”

Unfortunately it appears that it has nothing to do with a Mileage Run. So instead I highly recommend that everyone take the opportunity to see “Once” at the Ford Center for the Performing Arts while in Chicago for the seminar.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by austin_res
I'm interested. I can do dinner for sure.
Great I will update the post when we know where and when and numbers! Are you +1 or +2
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Saas
I was looking on Eventful for some things going on in the area during the same weekend and got excited when I saw that the Northlight Theatre is featuring a performance of a play titled “4000 Miles.”

Unfortunately it appears that it has nothing to do with a Mileage Run. So instead I highly recommend that everyone take the opportunity to see “Once” at the Ford Center for the Performing Arts while in Chicago for the seminar.
How many miles either event will get us ?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Wow - just wow.

Guess Howie's going to have to order some wrist bands

Cheers.
Aren't we all suppose to wear badges at all times ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.