Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: garykung
CitiGold is Citi's premium banking relationship. To remain a Citigold client, maintain a minimum combined average monthly balance of $200,000 in eligible linked deposit, retirement and investment accounts. There is no monthly service fee for accounts in The Citigold Account Package.

Be aware that Citi Wealth Management will not allow any trading of non traditional stocks and ETFs. No leveraged ETFs, no inverse ETFs. Its brokerage service is similar to Chase YouInvest. It is just basic investment service.

1. Click HERE to read a separate thread discussing expiration of ThankYou Points when closing a Citigold account.

2. Citi has introduced Citi Priority with a minimum combined balance of $50K as of November 6, 2016. Those who were no longer qualified under the new Citigold requirement has been downgraded to Citi Priority. Discussion HERE.
Print Wikipost

Benefits of a Citigold account? [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 3:38 pm

I want to try and sign up for the Citi Gold Checking account to take advantage of the AA miles. I meet the requirements (have a Citi AA card) but didn't get the targeted offer. If I use the code floating around online, would it hurt my ability to apply for a Reserve card in the next few months?
Old May 11, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by ComeSailAway
I want to try and sign up for the Citi Gold Checking account to take advantage of the AA miles. I meet the requirements (have a Citi AA card) but didn't get the targeted offer. If I use the code floating around online, would it hurt my ability to apply for a Reserve card in the next few months?
Reserve card? Do you mean the Citi AA Exec?
Old May 11, 2015, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by travel_mav
Reserve card? Do you mean the Citi AA Exec?
No, the Hilton Reserve card. But really, any Citi card in the future.
Old May 15, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by ComeSailAway
No, the Hilton Reserve card. But really, any Citi card in the future.
I don't see why. I didn't have a hard pull when I opened either of my Citi bank accounts. At the margin I should think your banking with them would make them more likely, not less, to give you credit.
Old May 31, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Can Citigold offers be done more than once?

I received a 30k Citigold checking offer recently, but I had done this same exact offer about 9 months ago and closed the account 3 months ago. Can this offer be done again?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by hiima
I received a 30k Citigold checking offer recently, but I had done this same exact offer about 9 months ago and closed the account 3 months ago. Can this offer be done again?
2 yrs from closing, just as T&C's state
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
2 yrs from closing, just as T&C's state
I heard somewhere this can be churned faster than two years, can't remember exactly where, maybe doctor of credit. But I have no data points on this, I should try.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
Is there any way to bypass the fees on the Citigold account? I was thinking about opening up an account when there was a TYP offer, for the offer, but also for the bonus on my Prestige/Premier so I'd probably like to keep it open. However, I don't want to park a large lump sum in this, so I'd be charged the monthyl fee. Any way to bypass this?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: DL PLT, Hilton Diamond, CX MPC Silver
Originally Posted by pritomd
Is there any way to bypass the fees on the Citigold account? I was thinking about opening up an account when there was a TYP offer, for the offer, but also for the bonus on my Prestige/Premier so I'd probably like to keep it open. However, I don't want to park a large lump sum in this, so I'd be charged the monthyl fee. Any way to bypass this?
As suggested earlier in this thread, an alternative to the usual $50K+ requirement for waived monthly fees is opening a Citi Business checking account. This Business account includes a personal Citigold account and you can avoid monthly fees with $15K+ as a monthly average balance.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:23 am
swy

Programs: Greyhound Vermillion Mithril
Originally Posted by needtoescape
I am in a similar situation, as I have a Roth IRA brokerage account over $50K, but combined balances well under $100K. I was told (by phone, calling the number provided in the letter mailed to me in October discussing the Citigold changes for January 2015) that the criteria for meeting Citigold balance requirements for fee waivers through funds in retirement accounts, including the brokerage IRA, are not changing in January. This rep seemed fairly knowledgeable and confident in his answer, and logically, how can a Roth IRA be classified as anything other than a "retirement account". The reason I called is that the letter they sent me specifically said that I would not meet the 2015 balance requirements based on their review of my account. The rep said that the letter was wrong, and that the review did not look at the investment accounts at all, but the system that determines fees does. I hope this is true, because I don't want to move more $ into Citibank, lose Ciitgold, or pay $30/mo for it.
Originally Posted by crapz1
I opened up a Roth IRA with them and transferred a fund from my Roth IRA in Vanguard. Only brought over $50K just to meet the minimum needed. Keeping my Vanguard account and future contributions will still go there..
Can I get a clarification on whether it's 50k or 100k? More specifically, if I open a Citigold account, move 60k in Roth IRA (in stocks; does this matter?) over, will the $30 monthly fee be waived? I'd apply for a Citi Prestige card too. Thanks!

Last edited by swy; Jun 18, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by swy
Can I get a clarification on whether it's 50k or 100k? More specifically, if I open a Citigold account, move 60k in Roth IRA (in stocks; does this matter?) over, will the $30 monthly fee be waived? I'd be apply for a Citi Prestige card too. Thanks!
50k is a retirement account / IRA will keep your fee free CG status.

Can be their discount brokerage one too run out of the National Call Center in San Antonio.

They would (of course) prefer that it be in fee based Private Wealth Mgmt. structure, but its not required. I wonder how long this door will stay open.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:24 am
swy

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
50k is a retirement account / IRA will keep your fee free CG status.

Can be their discount brokerage one too run out of the National Call Center in San Antonio.

They would (of course) prefer that it be in fee based Private Wealth Mgmt. structure, but its not required. I wonder how long this door will stay open.
Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does it take 6-8 weeks after completing the requirements to receive the miles? or have people received the miles faster? I am still waiting after about two months.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 12:57 am
swy

And if I open the account today, I'd have only till the end of June to work on the $750 purchase requirement? That sounds quite impossible, with the application, fax, wait for the debit card to arrive, and everything.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:05 pm

Any current public offers for citigold or are they all targeted? The ones on Dr. of Credit all appear over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.