Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
When do my Thank You points expire?

It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.

What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?

Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.

What happens when I downgrade a Prestige card or Premier card from which I've earned TY points?

A product change from one ThankYou earning card to another ThankYou earning card should keep the points from expiring.

What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?

If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.

For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year

When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?

Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.

How can I see my expiring points?

Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://www.thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE

Why do I see a warning that points expire in 7 days after converting from Citi Preferred to Citi Rewards+?

Citi acknowledges this message can appear in error after converting from one ThankYou credit card to another type of ThankYou credit card. If your points actually expired they will adjust the point balance upon request. In at least one case, the expiration never occurred despite the message.

If you converted a ThankYou credit card to a non-ThankYou credit card, that may be a different issue, and it's possible points really will expire by the stated deadline.
The info about 24-month clocks vs product changes came from these web pages:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/produ...w-card-number/

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/pro...24-month-rule/

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations (2012 - 2023)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2016, 1:51 pm

Can one share points with another account after source account has been cancelled? (I know once an account has been closed, there is a 60 day expiry.)

(My hunch is no considering one cannot transfer any points that have an expiry of <90 days.)
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:38 am

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I am thinking of applying for the Prestige. Say I am not 100% sure how I want to redeem the miles by the time I decide to cancel (in a year a probably), if I downgrade my card to a thank you preferred, the TY points stay active right?

If later on, I figure out how I want to use them and open up a thank you premier card (or prestige), will those TY points convert back to the version of TY points that can be transfered to partners?

Or alternatively before I cancel, I buy AA gift cards while the prestige is still open will I get 1.6 dollars per point in gift cards?

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:52 am

Can't downgrade Prestige to Premier. At least I was denied when I tried.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:08 pm

what can you downgrade the card to?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bdubs7
what can you downgrade the card to?
I was told nothing. But perhaps you'll have more luck.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: Paying student debt and traveling when i can
Originally Posted by thexfactor
I was told nothing. But perhaps you'll have more luck.
how long have you had the prestige? usually citi doesn't let you PC unless you're card is over 1yr old.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:05 pm

Transfer Prestige points to Premier and close Prestige card?

Hey, can I transfer Prestige points to Premier, and then close my Prestige card? Any implications from doing that? Will those points be there indefinitely or does some sort of counter on usage start?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by drdavidge
... ... does some sort of counter on usage start?
60 days to redeem, and you will lose the Prestige redemption rates for airfare when you close that card.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
60 days to redeem, and you will lose the Prestige redemption rates for airfare when you close that card.
Ah, thanks. I guess I could transfer to a spouse's Prestige card, close my card, and get 90 days to use them?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:38 am

Sounds too easy...

I have Citi Forward and Citi Prestige. If I close Forward, I would have 60 days to transfer points earned from Forward - and it'll automatically transfer those points first when I do the transfer?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:48 pm
mia

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
I have Citi Forward and Citi Prestige. If I close Forward, I would have 60 days to transfer points earned from Forward - and it'll automatically transfer those points first when I do the transfer?
Yes, but why close a card with no annual fee?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 5:48 pm

If I have point that are about to expire and transfer( share) them to another person, will they live 90 more days?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:10 pm
mia

Originally Posted by unstableone
If I have point that are about to expire and transfer( share) them to another person, will they live 90 more days?
Alas, no:

You may share some or all of your available qualifying ThankYou Points as a gift with another ThankYou Member by using the Points Sharing feature of ThankYou Rewards, provided the Points to be shared are not due to expire in less than 90 days. In order to share your points, you, as the sharer, must have first set up your ThankYou Member Account with a user name and password either through the ThankYou Service Center or thankyou.com.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:48 pm
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
I apologize if this was asked. I have a citi checking that I downgraded to a basic account. If I close this account will I lose the 40K thankyou points that I received when I signed up for it (gold at the time).

Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2016, 1:45 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Dad to GO
If I close this account will I lose the 40K thankyou points that I received when I signed up for it (gold at the time).
The terms say that you will, but in this thread a couple people report that their expiration date still shows the standard 3 years which applies to banking points. (I do not believe either has passed the 60 day threshold stipulated in the terms.)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...d-60-days.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.