Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 15, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
This thread is now archived. Please follow the topic here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1986148-chase-closed-my-credit-card-account-s-tales-speculation-2019-thread.html

If you feel your account has been unfairly closed, consider filing a complaint with the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau:

CFPB's complaint form: http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

When someone reports an account closure here, a lot of the same questions get asked. It might be useful to answer some questions in advance. This could help figure out what happened or how to proceed:
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name?
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone?
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months?
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards?
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards?
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks?
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.)
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any?
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months?
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit?
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year?
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any?
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase?
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score?
Related threads: 2013.1 2013.4
2013.12 2014.6
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...ta-points.html

On 1/4/15, LivelyFL noted that 34 posts have referenced account closures (updated 1/25/15):
1, 55, 80, 108, 117, 129, 146, 165, 182, 212, 221, 222, 232, 235, 262, 272, 281, 326, 364, 410, 411, 428, 475, 477, 482, 513, 552, 586, 620, 648, 656, 662, 714, 718, 784 and 815.

Mortgasm provided more detail as follows:

001 - moarmiles little explaination - 'inconsistent spending'
055 - brettskyg chase gift cards tiny ms
080 - Artemk checking chase gift card, tiny MS, international wires, wall-mart BP
108 - TTnc4me (105 actually) no info
117 - rodsren
129 - Kybosh chase gift card checking
146 - mintcilantro - checking 6k/month MS, BB payments from another ss#, some MO/AP, 7new cards in 90days, short cycling
165 - newcomr - checking
182 - thehawk75 - heavy MSw/other banks,
212 - LRD - 2x spend of 20k /month (on two cards), checking
221 - iceman 77_7, no info
222 - jk2 no info
232 - hitman1420 checking , heavy MS activity (no number)
235 - clearlyanewb checking, MS activity (10k AGC and more), light credit history, 10 recent inquiries
262 - brc01 - shortcycling, some MS (18k/month over a few cards), 1
272 - rambo - 70% MS on 5 cards, WM BP of 16k/month on 5 cards
281 - prestonv - heavy MS - 20k/month on multiple chase cards, heavy WMBP (ink stayed open)
326 - pacupgo - false alarm, no shutdown
364 - edh101985 - tiny MS (bonus only) , 4 chase cards in 6 months,
410 - msetr - lots of freedom/ink ms
411 - standaman360 - international wires (business), million dollar balances,
428 - queensgambit - gambling transactions, UR point transfer from SO, 5 chase apps 3 new chase cc in 45 days, Blogger points coach
475 - dogloverjb - checking, international wires,
477 - ftomasz - 14 inquiries in 8 months, 5 chase, minimal MS, rapid upswing in credit, paying from multiple accounts
482 - liw5215 - Heavy MS, re-entered after 13 months
513 - thegasguru - checking, $3k/month MO to checking, NO MS, AP,
552 - LAXtoWorld - 3 cards in 30 days
586 - adavydov7 checking, $1k APs,
648 - CMHFlyerOH - checking, MO, 3k gift cards
656 - I can see for miles - Maxed UR 5x rewards on Freedom and Ink cards. Chased closed all accounts. Was approved for Ritz Carlton card 14 months later and did nothing unusual with it, other than lower CL from 30K to 10K to free up CL for possible approvals. Two subsequent Chase apps (Chase Ink and Marriott Rewards), on separate dates 3+ months later, were declined for a "previous unsatisfactory relationship ..."
662 - frogdog51 - Chase VGCs (Reapproved in 12 months)
677 - Subdawg - closed for piggybacking
714 - Mamibear - 'abuse' redcard MS
718 - maxswanson - MS, 11 chase cards, traded UR, (reapproved after 12 months)
752 - peaser - "reputational risk" associated with the business (decision reversed later)
757 - uncommonsensical checking, 3 Cashier's Check deposits with quick w/d (the w/d were to pay CHASE credit cards! ridiculous 'loss prevention' dept. gods). All CC's closed 2 days later. Tried EX Office- they seem to have zero power once the Mullah in loss prevention has issued a fatwa (my guess: some 27 year old with a god complex).
762 - knopfler - checking closed (all credit cards closed in both mine and Mrs. Knopflers accounts about three weeks after checking closure)
771 - milemonkey - 'reputational Risk" connected to Attorney General lawsuit
784 - unstable one: 2 cash deposits over 10k to chase checking
815 - dukerau - one time UR point sale, 77% spending is 5x,
Print Wikipost

Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:23 pm

I had my personal accounts shutdown in early JAN,
My ink just got shutdown a few weeks ago.
How do I avoid them shutting down my UA biz if I still want to spend 25k on UA by the end of year?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by darenhuang
How do I avoid them shutting down my UA biz if I still want to spend 25k on UA by the end of year?
Providing background info on why you were shutdown would be helpful.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
It seems some have had success in having the shutdowns reversed by making a call or several.

Have you made any calls to find out why and what happened in January?

If you do nothing that UA card won't make it to the end of the year.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, Club Carlson, AA, UA, AS, SQ, AF
Originally Posted by Happy
What does the letter say?

Do you mind to provide more details on the background in terms of your relationship with Chase? and in the context of other banks you also have relationship with?

That would be much more helpful to the community as to what Chase criteria might be when it comes to review accounts and take AA against the customers.

Thanks for sharing.
It said "After careful consideration, we closed your credit card account on June 14th, because our affiliate is ending its banking relationship with you."

The rest of the letter was stuff like "make sure to pay off your account etc..."

The executive office phone rep said it was because "in the past a chase treasury or investment account was shut down by the bank." I had my credit cards closed in 2013. But my checking account (which I never touched after putting $1500 in there to get a checking bonus) stayed open. I closed the checking account after my credit cards were closed. So I am a little concerned that they might have something in there records more serious. Or maybe credit card closures fall in the category (although why would they not be listed in the examples by the phone rep both when I called and when I called).

Either way, that's where I stand right now. My wife had a woman call her back (from the Executive Office) basically introducing herself and saying she is looking into the closure. I will wait until I get my call. I just want to speak to a human. I'm hoping some human to human interaction will work in my favor.

Here is a copy of the letter someone else posted on the internet. The second sentence for us though was not "continuing the relationship created reputational risk to our company." and instead was "because our affiliate is ending its banking relationship with you."

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...0;attach=23581
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
It seems some have had success in having the shutdowns reversed by making a call or several.

Have you made any calls to find out why and what happened in January?

If you do nothing that UA card won't make it to the end of the year.
only got the affiliate is ending bank relationship with you. I am guessing its high spend across ALL credit cards. Or change in spending pattern (spend much less on chase after signup bonus), or downgrade CSR.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
only got the affiliate is ending bank relationship with you. I am guessing its . Or , or .
" Originally Posted by darenhuang View Post
How do I avoid them shutting down my UA biz if I still want to spend 25k on UA by the end of year?"

Is all you've done so far is read a letter?

Ink is not an affiliate relationship. If you have not picked up the phone your guessing isn't helping.

The ones who had success called right away, the ones who didn't didn't.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by merice107107
It said "After careful consideration, we closed your credit card account on June 14th, because our affiliate is ending its banking relationship with you."

The rest of the letter was stuff like "make sure to pay off your account etc..."

The executive office phone rep said it was because "in the past a chase treasury or investment account was shut down by the bank." I had my credit cards closed in 2013. But my checking account (which I never touched after putting $1500 in there to get a checking bonus) stayed open. I closed the checking account after my credit cards were closed. So I am a little concerned that they might have something in there records more serious. Or maybe credit card closures fall in the category (although why would they not be listed in the examples by the phone rep both when I called and when I called).

Either way, that's where I stand right now. My wife had a woman call her back (from the Executive Office) basically introducing herself and saying she is looking into the closure. I will wait until I get my call. I just want to speak to a human. I'm hoping some human to human interaction will work in my favor.

Here is a copy of the letter someone else posted on the internet. The second sentence for us though was not "continuing the relationship created reputational risk to our company." and instead was "because our affiliate is ending its banking relationship with you."

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.ph...0;attach=23581
There are 2 possibilities

1) A mixed up of Identity. This happens despite it should not.

2) Some entities bought by Chase long time ago, where you had an account and said account was shut down long time ago when that entity was not even a Chase, especially the word "investment account".
Think WAMU among all entities Chase bought over the years. Bear Stern is another one. (brokerage).

Definitely worth to get to the bottom of it especially 2) has nothing to do with you, then a mixed identity would be the cause - you want to clear it up once and for all.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
" Originally Posted by darenhuang View Post
How do I avoid them shutting down my UA biz if I still want to spend 25k on UA by the end of year?"

Is all you've done so far is read a letter?

Ink is not an affiliate relationship. If you have not picked up the phone your guessing isn't helping.

The ones who had success called right away, the ones who didn't didn't.
who should I call? What should I say then?
Called EO early Jan, didn't get much out of them
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:53 pm

Its now six months later.

Like I said up thread the reports I've seen of the people who were successful in reversing the shutdowns were persistent in calling.

Maybe start over with the number in the letter from January, and then call about the Ink.

This could be a lesson for anyone else, be persistent to get to the bottom of it when it first happens.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, it is up to you to decide whether you want to be persistent or let it go. It is not that hard to read about others DPs and the links others posted should you have any motivation to keep your account(s).

Did you read the thread? Right in post 1489 there are 2 telephone numbers mentioned.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:30 am

you guys are neglecting the fact he got shut down previous in 2013. Regardless of what the letter says, that is why he is getting shut down again now. There is very little chance of any recourse especially since he admittedly was MSing on the card. It would be better for him to shut up and spend on his united card ASAP or else he will find that closed as a result of an investigation too.

Last edited by hamokmonky; Jun 26, 2017 at 10:08 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
you guys are neglecting the fact he got shut down previous in 2013. Regardless of what the letter says, that is why he is getting shut down again now. There is very little chance of any recourse especially since he admittedly was MSing on the card. It would be better for him to shut up and spend on his united card ASAP or else he will find that closed as a result of an investigation too.
Which poster you are referring to? There are a few recent shut down cases reported recently.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:22 am

Which poster you are referring to? There are a few recent shut down cases reported recently.
I guess I mixed both in my post, but the post still stands.

"you guys are neglecting the fact he got shut down previous in 2013. Regardless of what the letter says, that is why he is getting shut down again now. There is very little chance of any recourse" applies to merice107107

"It would be better for him to shut up and spend on his united card ASAP or else he will find that closed as a result of an investigation too." applies to darenhuang (and the part about regardless of what the letter says, he was admittedly doing MS on the card)
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
I say Go For It! * When the customer has not done anything wrong, this behavior from the bank is akin to be bullying. The bank is betting on most customers would just let it go.
Happy! ... here we go:

DH went ahead and followed up with complaint to CFPB the very next day.
Received a call within 24 hrs from Chase telling him the matter would be investigated.

Received email from CFPB on June 30th with the answer of Chase:

"The agreement between us is that "Either you or we may close your account (other than a CD) at any time for any reason or no reason* without prior notice".
You can find this on page 13 of the enclosed Deposit Account Agreement; we gave you a copy when we opened your account.
We are not required to give you a reason for our decision to close the account. The enclosed letter about the account closure was mailed to you on June 12. Our decision to close your account will not change. I confirmed the $300 promotional cash bonus will be credited* to your account on July 5."

* bolding is mine
Note: account closure is set for August 8th.

Go figure ... it is what it is ... but still mind boggling
(My instinct tells me the "flag" might be the existing fiduciary account.)
DH has accepted the fate and will again move his company account to another bank.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Travelomania
Happy! ... here we go:

DH went ahead and followed up with complaint to CFPB the very next day.
Received a call within 24 hrs from Chase telling him the matter would be investigated.

Received email from CFPB on June 30th with the answer of Chase:

"The agreement between us is that "Either you or we may close your account (other than a CD) at any time for any reason or no reason* without prior notice".
You can find this on page 13 of the enclosed Deposit Account Agreement; we gave you a copy when we opened your account.
We are not required to give you a reason for our decision to close the account. The enclosed letter about the account closure was mailed to you on June 12. Our decision to close your account will not change. I confirmed the $300 promotional cash bonus will be credited* to your account on July 5."

* bolding is mine
Note: account closure is set for August 8th.

Go figure ... it is what it is ... but still mind boggling
(My instinct tells me the "flag" might be the existing fiduciary account.)
DH has accepted the fate and will again move his company account to another bank.
They would not give any reason and account remains closed, yet they would credit the closed account with $300 on July 5th?
It is indeed mind boggling.

Yes, it is the fiduciary account that causes the closure. I suspect if the company account is not opened with the promotion, it would not be closed. But then again, if not for the promotion you would not move the company account to Chase to begin with...

Now Chase would pay out the $300 bonus yet would still keep the account closed. Some logic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.