Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 5:42 am
wkc

Is this card worth applying for?

BOC i-card

Welcome offer of 25,000 points per supplmentary card (max of 9) with minimum spend 2000HKD @ $1.2/mile

Current promo (until Dec 2014) 10x telecom/online/PayPass transactions @ $1.5/mile

Anything I've missed? This card hasn't been mentioned before so I'm wondering if there's a catch somewhere
Old Oct 16, 2014, 9:17 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by wkc
Current promo (until Dec 2014) 10x telecom/online/PayPass transactions @ $1.5/mile

Anything I've missed? This card hasn't been mentioned before so I'm wondering if there's a catch somewhere
Yes. The 10X (extra 9X) cap is to 10,000 points per month (i.e. on $1,111.11 spending/month). And you can't apply for multiple i-Cards so it's a very pedantic cap to work around.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Change pros: same earn rates as DBS Black AE on non-CX local and overseas earn. Better rate for cx.com
Change con: Priority Pass benefit reduced from unlimited Priority Pass for principal cardholder to limited use PP (4 times/year) for principal cardholder.

I wouldn't cut the DBS yet. DBS has occassional 10% bonus conversion of DBS$ from time to time. CX Elite never has.

I would seek to convert to DBS Black MC - same earn rates and much easier to use around town.

http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...p?id=12939&p=1

Emailed changes of T&C http://ebm.email.americanexpress.com...1Aae-/doc.html - we know about most changes except CX Elite on cathaypacific.com earn rate reduced from $2.67/mile to $3/mile
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:53 pm

Earning miles on tax via CCB Dual Currency and HSBC @ 16.67/mile

Update 14 Jan: Just found out you need to possess HSBC bank account (savings/current) in order to be able to pay CCB Dual Currency card with HSBC Platinum Visa/Unionapy for the RewardCash

Even if you are paying out of the HSBC Platinum rather than the savings/current: http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/forum.php?id=6349&p=5
I've just realised my mother's HSBC Internet Banking account has disproven this finding. She is a HK resident, an additional cardholder of mine, a principal in her own right but has no HSBC savings account or any banking relationship with HSBC other than credit cards. She can bill pay to CCB.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:24 am

Rhetorical question...

An iPhone trading site asked https://www.facebook.com/iphoneprice...if_t=notify_me "All iPad mini 3 and iPad Air 2 are trading at $188 minus costs, why would we pay to be removalists?"

Obviously the trading crowd hasn't met us FTers...188 for $4,688 - 4% loss.

Say you use the 2% Bankcomm offer (I know I said it was crap, but I recently had to eat my own hat and use this offer myself cos I'm running out of spend offers!) and earned $6/mile (Bankcomm Diamond only). 2% rebate means the cost is reduced to $94 and I earn $6/mile on $4,688 spend or 781 miles. Average cost of mile - $0.12 - I know a lot of you will pay that.

And for those of you with targeted Worldmiles and BEA offers the cost is even less.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 23, 2014 at 1:30 am
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:01 pm

Do you know how long DBS normally takes to get AMs?

I submitted the fax on 22 Oct. My DBS rewards balance was showing as zero as of 24 Oct, but so far nothing in AM.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 8:15 pm

15 calendar days the last time I did it . I haven't done much with them since.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:09 am

Which HK Credit cards allow conversion to Avios and how does the rate compare with conversion to Asia Miles? Thank you.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 12:22 am

15 calendar days the last time I did it . I haven't done much with them since.
Thanks, I was hoping to get this converted before the end of the month, may not make it now.

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
Which HK Credit cards allow conversion to Avios and how does the rate compare with conversion to Asia Miles? Thank you.
Have a look at the first page of this thread, lists out conversion options:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17805054-post1.html

I am actually moving my spend over to Dah Sing for pure Avios, works out at HKD$6 for 1 Avios locally (including AAVS). For foreign I now use Public Bank because of its lower conversion rate (no AM though).

Also see this thread on the BA board: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-cards-hk.html
Old Oct 28, 2014, 4:39 am

There are 5 types of card that can officially earn AVIOS

Dahsing BA ($6/miles; $4/miles for overseas)
Citibank Prestiage (Same earn rate as Asiamiles, i.e. $6/miles; $4/miles for overseas)
Citibank Premiermiles (Same earn rate as Asiamiles, i.e. $8/miles; $4/miles for overseas)
HSBC Premier (Same earn rate as Asiamiles, i.e. $16.67/miles; possible to enjoy 6x)
AMEX (non-CX cards) (Same earn rate as Asiamiles, $15/miles or $7.5/miles if joined turbo program)

*HSBC Premier cardholders can redeem Reward cash in other card account for AVIOS.

Prestige is slightly better than Dahsing because of its year-end bound feature, which gives you at least 5% more miles.
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:07 am

Thank you Chester.

A few questions on other matters:

1. What is the earn rate for CX Amex Elite? I hear it has been improved but do not see it recommended on the wiki above.

2. Is there a cap for the HSBC 11x (6 plus 5 times) Fridays? Or is it just an overall HKD 180,000 per calendar year?

(editing to answer my own question - Each registered cardholder is entitled to receive double extra RewardCash for the first HK$4,500 eligible transactions made on all Fridays in the first quarter of 2014 and the first HK$9,000 eligible transactions made on all Fridays in each subsequent quarter of 2014 during the promotional period.)

3. The chart above says that HSBC 6x earn rate is really HKD 2.78 for a mile. This being the case, with 11x on Fridays, it becomes HKD 1.51 for a mile (2.78 / 6 x 11). Am I correct?

Thank you.

Last edited by IncyWincy; Oct 28, 2014 at 8:21 am
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:16 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
got a Citibank Ultima card invitation today, should I accept it?
Old Oct 28, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by derek2010
got a Citibank Ultima card invitation today, should I accept it?
All depends whether you spend >HK$1.46M/year or not.

P.S. Unless you got a reduction or full waiver of the $23.8K annual fee. If full faiver then accept it for sure. If reduction then repeat the calculation in #2059 but plug in new annual fee (and adjust/take away the welcome gift if any)

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 28, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Oct 28, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: CX Gold, QF Bronze
is the invitation a random one, or requires one to be a citigold private client customer?
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:36 am

Thank you Chester.

A few questions on other matters:

1. What is the earn rate for CX Amex Elite? I hear it has been improved but do not see it recommended on the wiki above.

2. Is there a cap for the HSBC 11x (6 plus 5 times) Fridays? Or is it just an overall HKD 180,000 per calendar year?

(editing to answer my own question - Each registered cardholder is entitled to receive double extra RewardCash for the first HK$4,500 eligible transactions made on all Fridays in the first quarter of 2014 and the first HK$9,000 eligible transactions made on all Fridays in each subsequent quarter of 2014 during the promotional period.)

3. The chart above says that HSBC 6x earn rate is really HKD 2.78 for a mile. This being the case, with 11x on Fridays, it becomes HKD 1.51 for a mile (2.78 / 6 x 11). Am I correct?

Thank you.
CX AMEX elite now earns a miles per $6 local spending or $4 overseas spending.

You are correct for question 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.