Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sxc
This 2014 and prior thread is now closed. Please continue discussion here: Best Credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2015
Print Wikipost

Best credit card conversion rate to Asiamiles (HK) - 2014 and prior

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
you can still use plaza premium lounge in HK unlimited so that negates some of the "downgrade" of benefit..... besides for you to hold Elite card (either by spending 150k annum? or silver tier above) you probably belong to upper echlon of the society so this encourages those rich to keep spending on CX elite... and it will discourage the "wana be" type of guys who are stretching to own this card.

hk$3 = 1 Asiamiles for cx.com purchase is really attractive.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
[QUOTE=fakecd;23532225]you can still use plaza premium lounge in HK unlimited so that negates some of the "downgrade" of benefit.....

Actually this is the reason why I stopped churning the CX Elite card. I enter Plaza Premium lounges so often for a bottle of water and a mag 4/year (Citi PM) doesn't cut it. Arrivals Lounge also is a good place to shower/eat when HKG is busy.

I even distributed three subs to the missus (do her silly hair) and family <-- oh, I must follow up the former they've dicked around with the HKIDs.

Originally Posted by fakecd
besides for you to hold Elite card (either by spending 150k annum? or silver tier above) you probably belong to upper echlon of the society so this encourages those rich to keep spending on CX elite... and it will discourage the "wana be" type of guys who are stretching to own this card.
Well it'll stop rice cheaters like me from leeching the card for unlimited PP.

But I get my PP from other ways, like Citi Prestige every other year and Bankcomm for $50/100/150K spend http://www.bankcomm.com.hk/en/person...ditcard21.html . I find I don't use the non-HK lounges much anyway.

Originally Posted by fakecd
hk$3 = 1 Asiamiles for cx.com purchase is really attractive.
The only time I contemplated using this benefit was for $100 Fanfares a couple of weeks ago. Using the CX Elite has the theoretical advantage of not having to undergo VbV/Securecode verification. Alas I didn't get past the hidden-apages quickly enough.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I received a new PP card recently that has an expiry date of 2017 on it. Does that mean I can still use it unlimited until this card expires?

Or will they just track the number of visits on the PP account and charge me once once I reach the limit of 4?

I rarely use it so I guess it's no big deal but would like to know how this will work...
Old Sep 16, 2014, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by sxc
Or will they just track the number of visits on the PP account and charge me once once I reach the limit of 4?
Well they have tracked and billed when I brought in a guest with my CX Elite PP in the past, so tracking 4/year doesn't seem too terribly difficult from a systems point of view.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:05 am

Programs: CX SL
Do you need to have 2 PP cards or just switch your PP account from CX Elite to Citi ?

Last edited by maxlmn; Sep 16, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:07 am

Maxlmm you mean my guest? I can bring him in if I am willing to pay us$27/guest (on that occasion I did).

Btw crap news from Bankcomm - they've just released a 2% cash rebate offer from sep to dec - meaning no 8x miles offer or the like for the rest of the year http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=12966
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:57 pm

Programs: CX SL
Sorry I wasnt clear enough.
I have a PP linked with my Amex Cathay Elite, and also have Citi Prestige. Should I ask Citi to give me a new PP card in order to keep unlimited lounge access ?

Thanks
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:19 pm

Yes you can have citi issue you a PP for your prestige card. That one will be unlimited use.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Standard Chartered WorldMiles Amex Card promo

From 15 September 2014 to 31 December 2014
Up to 12,000 extra AsiaMiles when achieving target spending amounts

Tier 1 reached = 1,500 extra AsiaMiles
Tier 2 reached = 5,000 extra AsiaMiles
Tier 3 reached = 12,000 extra AsiaMiles

Maximum 12,000 AsiaMiles earned for this promotion.
The 3 tiers are different for each person and are in the direct mailing.

The 3 tiers I got were super low - basically I can reach Tier 3 in less than 2 weeks. They could have added an extra zero and I would have still reached Tier 3 in the time period.

But it's great that they are giving out promos!
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Standard Chartered WorldMiles Amex Card promo

From 15 September 2014 to 31 December 2014
Up to 12,000 extra AsiaMiles when achieving target spending amounts

Tier 1 reached = 1,500 extra AsiaMiles
Tier 2 reached = 5,000 extra AsiaMiles
Tier 3 reached = 12,000 extra AsiaMiles

Maximum 12,000 AsiaMiles earned for this promotion.
The 3 tiers are different for each person and are in the direct mailing.

The 3 tiers I got were super low - basically I can reach Tier 3 in less than 2 weeks. They could have added an extra zero and I would have still reached Tier 3 in the time period.

But it's great that they are giving out promos!
Lucky u, I only got 7,000 as my highest tier http://www.hongkongcard.com/forum/fo...w.php?id=12964 . But I am in full on farming mode at present - any promo is really icing on the cake.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: BA- GGL, Hyatt-GLB, Marriott- AMB
Let's add the BEA promo too then, though puny in absolute amount of miles

HK$2500 = Basic Points 2500 + Bonus Points 4000 = 812 Asia Miles
HK$4000 = Basic Points 4000 + Bonus Points 8000 = 1500 Asia Miles
HK$7000 = Basic Points 7000 + Bonus Points 16000 = 2875 Asia Miles

Buying an iphone6 128MB at $7188?

Last edited by Mafai; Sep 18, 2014 at 10:55 am Reason: wrong link
Old Sep 18, 2014, 7:39 pm

Asia Miles v Avios?

At the moment my strategy is as little cards as possible. So I'm doing the following:

- Local spend: DBS Black MC [HK$6 per AM]
- Supermarket spend: Citibank rewards [HK$3 per AM]
- AAVS: Bankcomm Diamond [HK$6 per AM]

I don't actually have a foreign currency spend card for mileage, I instead use the Public Bank credit card due less foreign currency fees.

I am however thinking about moving my spend to an Avios strategy. The benefits I see with Avios are as follows:

- One ways are a pure 50% rather than on Asia Miles
- As long as you have some sort of account activity every three years, no mileage expiry
- Often lower mileage burning rates

The Dah Sing card offers HK$6 per Avios for both general spend and AAVS, which is comparable to my DBS / Bankcomm. Obviously not as good as the Citibank rewards for supermarket spend.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something here?
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by theworld
I am however thinking about moving my spend to an Avios strategy. The benefits I see with Avios are as follows:

- One ways are a pure 50% rather than on Asia Miles
- As long as you have some sort of account activity every three years, no mileage expiry
- Often lower mileage burning rates

The Dah Sing card offers HK$6 per Avios for both general spend and AAVS, which is comparable to my DBS / Bankcomm. Obviously not as good as the Citibank rewards for supermarket spend.

What do you guys think? Am I missing something here?
Already been doing this since last year.

Wish I had the Avios to do Maldives, could have burnt 50K Avios in lieu of 80K AM (but the trip was not optional - I wacked-a-mole it as soon as redemption availability came out).

I've been converting whenever HSBC puts out a 18 Avios/RC redemption offer. Redeeming on CX and QF flights. But because there's no waitlisting, and the biggest burn of my manufactured miles are YVR and SYD (by amount of miles burnt though not by # of redemptions) I'm starting to stockpile Avios (about 140K worth and still growing). If there are equal redemption rates between AM and Avios I won't go out of my way to redeem Avios until I reduce some of the existing stockpile.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:47 am

deleted

Last edited by IncyWincy; Sep 26, 2014 at 9:52 am
Old Sep 19, 2014, 7:48 am

Hello Percy,

Is there any way to waive the Rewards Renewal Fee ($240) from Amex (Plat Credit Card)? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.