Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Received Free Night Certificate

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:44 pm
Original Member

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, IHG Plat, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Radisson Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
Originally Posted by thepla
I have one and I'm trying to book in Tallinn over summer. None of their hotels show availability for any day. I only have ecert#, maybe I'm missing something.
Are you searching with the promo code?
No promo code. I did same for Chicago and it was available. Tried Helsinki and no luck for all properties.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
If you have to cancel a booking made with an E-cert, does the e-cert go back into your account ?
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by g1ant
If you have to cancel a booking made with an E-cert, does the e-cert go back into your account ?
yes
Old Mar 12, 2016, 1:36 pm

So to check availability - put USBANKEC in the promotion code and then search? Cause if so, I am not finding anything. :-(
Also, if my brother has a different last name and I want to book a hotel for him, I just enter him as a second guest and he will have no problems checking in? Even in a different country?
Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2016, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by CherylD
So to check availability - put USBANKEC in the promotion code and then search? Cause if so, I am not finding anything. :-(
Also, if my brother has a different last name and I want to book a hotel for him, I just enter him as a second guest and he will have no problems checking in? Even in a different country?
Thanks!
Additional guest names can check in without a problem. Add in comments "guest name" will check in earlier. They will be asked for credit card in guest name (any card) at check in. If you want assurance, call customer service or/and hotel. Done this many, many times without issue.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Additional guest names can check in without a problem. Add in comments "guest name" will check in earlier. They will be asked for credit card in guest name (any card) at check in. If you want assurance, call customer service or/and hotel. Done this many, many times without issue.
Thank you! And am I correct that I need to search availability by entering USBANKEC in the promotion code field?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
E Cert confirmations showing the stay is not free

Wondering if anyone has experienced this. We have 5 ecerts between us. I am using some at The Mayfair and the confirmations shows the value of the room night and then minuses that amount for the ecert so I will owe nothing.

Using an ecert at the Radisson Blu in AMS shows me that I will owe them 100 euros. They are showing value of 349 Euros and minusing 249 euros which means I will owe them 100 euros on a free night? The email confirmation I received showed the room is free but when I bring up the confirmation on the website it shows I will owe them 100 euros.

Anyone have this experience being charged even though you are using a free night cert?
Old Mar 20, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cruisr
Wondering if anyone has experienced this. We have 5 ecerts between us. I am using some at The Mayfair and the confirmations shows the value of the room night and then minuses that amount for the ecert so I will owe nothing.

Using an ecert at the Radisson Blu in AMS shows me that I will owe them 100 euros. They are showing value of 349 Euros and minusing 249 euros which means I will owe them 100 euros on a free night? The email confirmation I received showed the room is free but when I bring up the confirmation on the website it shows I will owe them 100 euros.

Anyone have this experience being charged even though you are using a free night cert?
Have this with an upcoming reservation at a Radisson Blu in London. Original confirmation states $0 due, the rez now says 45 GBP. I emailed Club Carlson and after 3 followups and 4+ weeks I now have emails from both Club Carlson and Radisson Blu that say the night is free and not to worry about the amount shown on rez.

This appears to be an IT problem. Not sure if it's due to a change in room price or if the 44 GBP is the amount Radisson Blu is charging Club Carlson for the night.

Either way, I'll have copies of both emails in case of problems at checkin or checkout.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
When searching I just now tried "USBANKEC" in the Promo Code box. It did not work. I have just been putting in my E-cert # in the E-Cert Code box, which works just fine. But it allows me only the most basic/ cheapest room type.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 10:23 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
CherylD, I'm testing it now. When I got to the booking info page, it asks me whether the ressie is for Brendan ------ or "Another Guest." When I click on the "Another Guest" button , it removes my name so I can put any friend's name(s) in. But I must first be logged in to my own account.
Also, it says, "Should you wish to use this credit card for payment at the hotel, cardholder must be present at the hotel at time of payment." So either enter your brother's CC# in the first place, or enter yours & let him present his at the hotel 'instead.'
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisr

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
Have this with an upcoming reservation at a Radisson Blu in London. Original confirmation states $0 due, the rez now says 45 GBP. I emailed Club Carlson and after 3 followups and 4+ weeks I now have emails from both Club Carlson and Radisson Blu that say the night is free and not to worry about the amount shown on rez.

This appears to be an IT problem. Not sure if it's due to a change in room price or if the 44 GBP is the amount Radisson Blu is charging Club Carlson for the night.

Either way, I'll have copies of both emails in case of problems at checkin or checkout.
Reading your posts has prompted me to check our E-Cert reservations made at Radisson Hotel & Suites at Sydney.

The online reservations used to show the rack rate of 419 AUD, then struck out with negative 419, resulting to a Zero Rate.
Now it shows this
Room 1 Cost $419.00AUD
Estimated Taxes $0.00AUD
Estimated Additional Fees $0.00AUD
Total Estimated Cost
for 1 Room
$0.00AUD
There is a clickable Room Rate details which shows the correct display. However there is No Way to print that out as it is a popup window.

I have sent an email to the reservation manager of the hotel on Thursday as well as to Club Carlson using their online form. So far no reply from the hotel, while Club Carlson said it forwarded my inquiry on the reservation cost to the hotel management and asked the hotel management to reply me directly. Basically Club Carlson does not want to get involved.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
My original confirmation email says:

Total Rate 0.00GBP
Estimated Taxes 0.00GBP
Estimated Additional Fees 0.00GBP
Estimated Total Price 0.00GBP

On the website the reservation now appears as follows:

Room 1 Cost 223.38GBP
Estimated Taxes 0.00GBP
Estimated Total Price 44.38GBP

Interestingly, I remember when I booked the free night the room rate was exactly 179GBP for this room. Subtract 179 from 223.38 (room cost above) and you get 44.38. So another possibility is that a rate change after the reservation could have generated this but that is pure speculation.

The only thing I'm sure of is that no one at Club Carlson or Radisson Blu Edwardian will tell me what happened but they have reassured me that the room is totally free. And I'll have copies of those reassurance with me during check-in and check-out.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MellieAZ
My original confirmation email says:

Total Rate 0.00GBP
Estimated Taxes 0.00GBP
Estimated Total Price 0.00GBP

On the website the reservation now appears as follows:

Room 1 Cost 223.38GBP
Estimated Taxes 0.00GBP
Estimated Total Price 44.38GBP

Interestingly, I remember when I booked the free night the room rate was exactly 179GBP for this room. Subtract 179 from 223.38 (room cost above) and you get 44.38. So another possibility is that a rate change after the reservation could have generated this but that is pure speculation.

The only thing I'm sure of is that no one at Club Carlson or Radisson Blu Edwardian will tell me what happened but they have reassured me that the room is totally free. And I'll have copies of those reassurance with me during check-in and check-out.
I have emailed both Club Carlson and Radisson Sydney. Club Carlson replied the next day said the inquiry was forwarded to the hotel management and Club Carlson requested the hotel management to reply me directly.
Hotel of course has not even replied my initial email, let alone the email forwarded from Club Carlson.

Room rates in our reservations actually drop quite a bit to only 299.00 AUD. At booking it was 419.00 AUD. Therefore I do not see any additional amount like you do.

Now I see this:

Room 1 Cost $419.00AUD
Estimated Taxes $0.00AUD
Estimated Additional Fees $0.00AUD
Total Estimated Cost
for 1 Room
$0.00AUD

Versus on the email confirmation

Total Rate: 0.00 AUD Plus applicable Fees and Taxes *
Rate Type: Best Available Rate-Studio Two Queen
Best Available Rate for special programs
Estimated Fees*: 0.00 AUD
Estimated Taxes*: 0.00 AUD
Estimated Total Price*: 0.00 AUD

I could bring up the Rate Details pop up window showing the 419.00 was struck out and then FREE, 0.00 AUD.

However I could not print an online reservation showing the room rate.
Eventually I made a screen shot with the pop up window overlaying the online reservation (very darkened in the background - cannot produce a legible copy).
I intend to keep a copy of the screen shot on a USB drive and bring it with me. Then if there is any issue at the hotel, they can view the screen shot, as well as the print out of the confirmation email, and the PDF file I always make at the last page of the reservation - it shows correct display on the rate being zeroed out.

Though I would hope the hotel would reply my inquiry to verify the room is free (or paid by the E-Cert).
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UPDATE

Finally got an email reply from reservation manager to confirm that Room Only is indeed complementary. She has no idea why the rate not reflected on Club Carlson website. As long as the hotel sees the correct information we should be fine.

Good luck to those who have seen crazy rates online on their e-Cert bookings. Contact the hotels directly to get a confirmation from the hotel of the "complementary" room cost. Seems to be the most effective way as Club Carlson is not helpful and simply pass the inquiry to the hotel management anyway.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:46 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Good, Happy. Glad you got that sorted out.

I just had success getting Club Carlson to send me a copy of my reservations by email. I used the "Contact Us" link on the CC web site. We're having mixed luck with emails from the hotels. It's simply ridiculous that you can't email a copy of the reservation from the website to yourself after it's booked. Combined with the occasional disappearance of the "View reservation" button for random bookings, it makes access to some completed bookings nigh impossible. Then, the Ecerts stay on the account page after they've been used, adding to the confusion. This is all another huge check-mark against my previously favorite, easy to use rewards program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.