Wiki Posts
Search

Failed Concierge upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
Failed Concierge upgrades

Inspired by the corresponding thread over at SPG, I think it would be interesting to start gathering a thread about failed Concierge upgrades.

I had my first one today, despite of availability at clubcarlson.com . Just checked in at Radisson Blu Scandinavia in Oslo. No upgrade (didn't ask for one since I usually get it automatically), but an apple and a bottle of water in the room. Freezing cold in the room by the way.

Had to fill out a paper form with credit card and contact details. Seemed very odd. I stay frequently here and this was the worst experience so far.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, HiltonHon Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, One World Silver, Eurobonus Silver
Stayed at same hotel two times in November and December. No upgrade and no fruit/water or any other welcome gift. Did not find the hotel particularily nice, and service only mediocre. Expected more.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by kimbb
Stayed at same hotel two times in November and December. No upgrade and no fruit/water or any other welcome gift. Did not find the hotel particularily nice, and service only mediocre. Expected more.
It does make sense to state wher you actually were
Old Jan 16, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Hyatt Privé, Impresario, Four Seasons, Marriott Stars, Kempinski, Accor STEP, SLH, IHG,etc
Radisson Blu Palais hotel in Vienna.

No upgrade
Had to point out that breakfast is free for Concierge Elite members (if only I had a penny every time I've had to do that!).
No in-room welcome gift

steveuk
Old Jan 17, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
The breakfast perk is really unknown to check-in staff. Just had the most weird conversation with the check-in person at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Copenhagen.

"You've been upgraded to Business Class" (this after a long telephone conversation with someone who told the check-in person I should be upgraded)
"Thank you. I suppose my breakfast is included as well?"
"It doesn't matter, Sir, your company is paying for it."
"I know, but they shouldn't be paying for it since I'm getting it for free."
"But you are not paying for it, your company is."
"No, they're not, as it's supposed to be included."
"It's included."

Let's see what happens tomorrow at check-out. I've yet to be impressed with CC. It's rubbish.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Tell him:
"Sir, your company (Carlson) is paying for it, not you personally"
Originally Posted by niksal
The breakfast perk is really unknown to check-in staff. Just had the most weird conversation with the check-in person at Radisson Blu Scandinavia Copenhagen.

"You've been upgraded to Business Class" (this after a long telephone conversation with someone who told the check-in person I should be upgraded)
"Thank you. I suppose my breakfast is included as well?"
"It doesn't matter, Sir, your company is paying for it."
"I know, but they shouldn't be paying for it since I'm getting it for free."
"But you are not paying for it, your company is."
"No, they're not, as it's supposed to be included."
"It's included."

Let's see what happens tomorrow at check-out. I've yet to be impressed with CC. It's rubbish.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: CC Concierge Elite, SPG Platinum, AE Elite
Originally Posted by niksal
Inspired by the corresponding thread over at SPG, I think it would be interesting to start gathering a thread about failed Concierge upgrades.

I had my first one today, despite of availability at clubcarlson.com . Just checked in at Radisson Blu Scandinavia in Oslo. No upgrade (didn't ask for one since I usually get it automatically), but an apple and a bottle of water in the room. Freezing cold in the room by the way.

Had to fill out a paper form with credit card and contact details. Seemed very odd. I stay frequently here and this was the worst experience so far.
I find CC is a big hit or miss, even staying with the same hotels week in and week out. The entire experience is so inconsistent that I'm just about ready to swear off Club Carlson completely. For my previous project, I had to stay at a Radisson every week for 3-4 nights a week for nearly 1 year and 3 months straight. You'd think that every week I'd be auto-upgraded, my status would be recognized. Nope, inconsistent treatment, welcome gift in room only 1/3 of the time on check-in, some weeks the check-in clerks would fail to recognize me or forget that I have status (despite the fact I see them EVERY week and I'm super courteous to them), sometimes argue with me when I asked for upgrades, etc.

One Radisson upgraded my room without me asking, but then when I got the bill, they charged me an "upgrade fee". I had booked the room with points, and they decided to charge me $120/night extra for the upgrade, which made zero sense. The front desk did absolutely nothing about it and refused to zero out the bill. I had to end up sending a complaint letter to Club Carlson and only then did they actually reverse the charges.

Once in a while, there's a pleasant experience or two (I had a nice upgraded room at the downtown Toronto Hotel without asking for it, along with an excellent breakfast and they even provided free room service for some reason for one night, maximum of $100 worth of food), but overall, the entire program is a giant mess. It's inconsistent, the service in general needs a LOT of work to be better.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Asherek
I find CC is a big hit or miss, even staying with the same hotels week in and week out. The entire experience is so inconsistent that I'm just about ready to swear off Club Carlson completely. For my previous project, I had to stay at a Radisson every week for 3-4 nights a week for nearly 1 year and 3 months straight. You'd think that every week I'd be auto-upgraded, my status would be recognized. Nope, inconsistent treatment, welcome gift in room only 1/3 of the time on check-in, some weeks the check-in clerks would fail to recognize me or forget that I have status (despite the fact I see them EVERY week and I'm super courteous to them), sometimes argue with me when I asked for upgrades, etc.

One Radisson upgraded my room without me asking, but then when I got the bill, they charged me an "upgrade fee". I had booked the room with points, and they decided to charge me $120/night extra for the upgrade, which made zero sense. The front desk did absolutely nothing about it and refused to zero out the bill. I had to end up sending a complaint letter to Club Carlson and only then did they actually reverse the charges.

Once in a while, there's a pleasant experience or two (I had a nice upgraded room at the downtown Toronto Hotel without asking for it, along with an excellent breakfast and they even provided free room service for some reason for one night, maximum of $100 worth of food), but overall, the entire program is a giant mess. It's inconsistent, the service in general needs a LOT of work to be better.

I have pretty much the same experience. On my reward stays (at the same hotel), I've got a free breakfast coupon (not sure if Gold Elite gets you free breakfast to start with) maybe once every 4 stays...and a welcome note with a bottle of water/cookies probably 7 out of 10 times. Upgrade-never, although the general rooms (usually get a higher floor) are not bad and I have no complaints. Overall, I'm quite happy with Club Carlson and now primarily stay here over IHG/Hilton.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC, Club Carlson (Concierge), Marriott (Platinum), Holiday Inn (Spire), Hilton (Diamond)
Club Carlson: Great Hotels, lousy service on the scheme

I have been staying in Club Carlson hotels for years now. On the whole the hotels themselves are nice well maintained properties. As with a lot of people on this this thread its the scheme that lets them down.

My frustrations include: Staff are never aware of the free breakfast entitement. Like many of you, If I had a dollar for every time I had to make them aware of that privilege. While staying at the Park Plaza Riverbank I used to carry a photocopy of the ClubCarlson member benefits so I could show it to staff on check in/check out so they knew of the privilages

Upgrades: Like many of you this is a total lottery. I have been staying at the Park Plaza Cardiff for around a year, see the same reception staff every week (I am always very courteous to them). Upgrades some weeks not others. Likewise with the in room gifts. Sometimes Fruit, sometimes water, sometimes nothing.

Goldpoints discounts in restaurants (do we still get this since we changed to CC?) anyway, despite telling staff when we sat that we were clubcarlson/goldpoints members we still had to remind them when the bill came to add the discount.

Booking via clubcarlson.com. As Concierge members we are supposed to get a 3000 point bonus. Every week I have to raise a claim as it was missed off my room credit. I know its only 3000 points but when you stay in hotels as often as I do its a couple of free nights a year you are missing out of.

I think the hotels in the Carlson program on the whole are great and the scheme is pretty generous, especially when you are concierge level its just unlike Hilton/Marriott you have to watch your statement like a hawk and always remind staff of what you are entitled to as a concierge member.

Good luck folks
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: CC Concierge Elite, SPG Platinum, AE Elite
Interesting that you mention the 3000 point online bonus for booking. For my previous project (1.5 years), I booked every single stay online, and then called into Club Carlson or the hotel to change it to my project approved rate.

I got credited the online bonus only for 1/3 of the bookings (and then, only when I remembered to bug them about it). Seeing as I stayed there for 80 weeks total, that's literally around 180,000 points (enough for a bunch of nights) that I still haven't been credited for. I honestly hate the program with a passion because it's just so poorly implemented.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
The great thing about the program is the very fact they are crap at administrating it, I have never stayed the correct number of nights to be concierge but I am, the brilliance is if you lodge a missing points claim the folks in the Euro office usually credit them, then in a couple of weeks the hotel fianlly gets around to it, this happens all the time with the Russian hotels.

I always ask for an upgrade at the front desk, so far I've never failed to get one, I even get upgrades with points nights. You just have to ask nicely.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by KiwiRob
The great thing about the program is the very fact they are crap at administrating it, I have never stayed the correct number of nights to be concierge but I am, the brilliance is if you lodge a missing points claim the folks in the Euro office usually credit them, then in a couple of weeks the hotel fianlly gets around to it, this happens all the time with the Russian hotels.

I always ask for an upgrade at the front desk, so far I've never failed to get one, I even get upgrades with points nights. You just have to ask nicely.

As a concierge and their top most elite status, you really shouldn't have to ask for an upgrade. I'm not sure why hotels or the Club Carlson program can't make a guaranteed-upgrade and other benefits standard for their most valuable clients.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 5:34 pm

You mean you get points on Reward nights?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, AMEX Platinum, EBG
Yes I have, the last one was the Radisson Kenilworth, booked an award night, recieved the 3000 online booking bonus, points for food and beverage (even though I didn't have any food or drinks at the hotel) and the 75% concierge bonus for food and beverage, the time before that was the Park Plaza Amsterdam here they even gave me points for the room even though it was an awards night, plus online booking and concierge bonus, they cock up all the time, it's great, I hope they stay as messed up as they are. BTW asking for an upgrade takes a couple of seconds, I don't see any problem asking, most of the time I've already been allocated an upgraded room, the evidence of this is usually some food, water and in some instances a note form the manager welcoming me back, which is what I received today at the Radisson Royal St Petersburg.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:50 am

Yes I have, the last one was the Radisson Kenilworth, booked an award night, recieved the 3000 online booking bonus, points for food and beverage (even though I didn't have any food or drinks at the hotel) and the 75% concierge bonus for food and beverage, the time before that was the Park Plaza Amsterdam here they even gave me points for the room even though it was an awards night, plus online booking and concierge bonus, they cock up all the time, it's great, I hope they stay as messed up as they are. BTW asking for an upgrade takes a couple of seconds, I don't see any problem asking, most of the time I've already been allocated an upgraded room, the evidence of this is usually some food, water and in some instances a note form the manager welcoming me back, which is what I received today at the Radisson Royal St Petersburg.
Interesting. I'm new to Carlson as Gold, booked couple award nights with them in US. Nothing extra happened

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.