Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any experience with Airbnb?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 6:50 pm

I have used Airbnb on may occasions and never had a bad experience. NYC x4, Dallas x2, Austin x3 and each time I was able to use travel rewards from my AMEX Blue Sky preferred.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Actually, posting from a property in Prague right now
Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:18 am

I've only had good experiences with AirBnb (after renting in at least 6 European countries and in Boston). If you book a place with multiple positive reviews, you're probably all set! Places without reviews are a bit riskier but they're usually cheaper. And to be fair, the worst experience I've had with properties without reviews was one rental in Vienna where the kitchen smelled very strongly of tuna.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
+1 on Airbnb.
I've used it multiple times (Londonx2, Nice, Florence, Rome, Tokyo, and here in Canada.)
I would definitely use it again and plan on doing so in the future.
more bang for the buck compared to hotels I find, plus you actually get to meet a local.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:05 pm

I don't like the recent introduction of verification whereby one uploads an ID card or passport photo. It seemed to work reasonably well without such a move. Sure there were one or two well-publicized problems with guests but such systems as these and similar social sites (FB, Twitter et al) will always be open to abuse. Maybe the photo ID policy will help reduce airbnb's insurance premiums.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE
+1 on AirBnB.

Just have really low expectations haha. It looked awesome in the photos but the room I had in Miami was tiny and was under renovation.

Location was awesome though and it was cheap, so what's up.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
SF just passed a law directed at AirBnB. They are going to have to start paying more insurance. They are going to have to abide by normal hotel regulations including city hotel taxes. Several similar requirements which are going to significantly increase their cost of doing business which means rental rates will go up.

I would expect to see more and more of this in other cities.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
SF just passed a law directed at AirBnB. They are going to have to start paying more insurance. They are going to have to abide by normal hotel regulations including city hotel taxes. Several similar requirements which are going to significantly increase their cost of doing business which means rental rates will go up.

Any thoughts on whether that would be likely to catch on outside the US?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by JR14
Any thoughts on whether that would be likely to catch on outside the US?
Sure. Anywhere where hotels have lobbying power to modify laws like SF, it could happen.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE

Lame. They're trying to kill AirBnB.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold

I think OP only emphasized a singular aspect of the ruling. Foremost is that AirBnB is now considered lawful in SF, and inclusion comes with a (literal) price associated with it. Best to operate within the law with strings attached than to be shut down completely, and that is an construct I expect to see nationally in the years ahead.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by stimpy
Sure. Anywhere where hotels have lobbying power to modify laws like SF, it could happen.
On the contrary, I think this law actually benefits AirBnB, because it makes it legal for them to operate. Before this law was passed, renting out a room using the site in SF was technically illegal. The hotels would have liked to keep it that way, but didn't have the power to stop it, due to SF being a very technology-friendly city with a government that wants to support local startups. In most of the rest of the country, I think the hotel industry will have the power to prevent laws like this from passing, at least for the time being.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by cbn42
On the contrary, I think this law actually benefits AirBnB, because it makes it legal for them to operate. Before this law was passed, renting out a room using the site in SF was technically illegal. The hotels would have liked to keep it that way, but didn't have the power to stop it, due to SF being a very technology-friendly city with a government that wants to support local startups. In most of the rest of the country, I think the hotel industry will have the power to prevent laws like this from passing, at least for the time being.
True SF's proximity to SV makes it more tech friendly. However I think I've seen proposals in France to add on enough regulations to effectively wipe out Airbnb. We'll see if anything happens. Look at what has happened to Uber here in Europe and elsewhere.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
As long as Airbnb will be a tool for tax evasion on profits, we don't have to worry. A regulation, at least outside the US, seems out of question. Enforcing it even more.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:39 pm

Beware of AirBnb!

Beware of AirBnb... I hope the pending city law suits put these guys out of business because they don’t deserve to be in business. Check it out - http://www.theguardian.com/travel/20...are-the-issues

I’ve talked to their customer service several times over the last couple of months for all kinds of issues with their disfunctional web site, erroneous communications, and issues with the handling of taxes as a legal requirement for most states, etc...

I setup a reservation with a guest a few months ago and they collected funds from the guest. They then turned around and cancelled the reservations without my knowledge. I actually found out 1 week prior to my guest's arrival. That left me with lost revenue and no way to fill the lost week with the little time that was left. My guest informed me that they cancelled due to security issues... What the hell issues were those? My AirBnB dashboard showed I was a verified host. I have listings on every major vacation rental site on the web. Like I said, these guys are a joke!

I have since removed my listing from their website and will never ever list with them again! Perhaps their leadership team should take some training from HomeAway or VRBO to learn how to run a real vacation rental site. They obviously have NO clue!

If you want to list for free on similar sites that actually work and don't force your guests to pay for the entire reservation up front.. Look at FlipKey.com part of TravelAdvisor.com. Or if you want to pay a subscription with no guest fees, choose HomeAway or VRBO... I get 99% of all my bookings through these two sites.

Hope that helps..

- vbtech

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.