Wiki Posts
Search

ABBA - anyone but BA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Disco Volante
I follow that, but the reason the design for the new seats is unavailable is because they are a long way off. When BA fitted its old CW seats in its new aircraft, it was clear to everyone that a new CW seat was a very long way off. What we have instead, is the promise of a new blanket. Meanwhile the broadsheet press are hammering BA and AC.
Well since they have been promised for the A350 and 787-10 I would agree that it will be very disappointing if they don't appear when these aircraft are delivered.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by KARFA
Well since they have been promised for the A350 and 787-10 I would agree that it will be very disappointing if they don't appear when these aircraft are delivered.
Am I remembering correctly that AC said they wouldn't be retrofitted to existing aircraft or has this changed?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by srbrenna
Am I remembering correctly that AC said they wouldn't be retrofitted to existing aircraft or has this changed?
He said that has not been decided, there will be some retrofitting but not necessarily across the whole fleet. I suspect the 747s and the older 777s will not get the new seat.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by srbrenna
That I don't know. I seem to recollect there was a suggestion BA are undecided whether they will retrofit, and if they did they were undecided on aircraft would be done and over what timeline. This is based on some vague memory I have though so I could be wrong.

EDIT: see above for a better answer!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I still maintain that the current CW seats are better than the slopes that some airlines still have to my shock and horror.

They are not exactly the industry-leading product but at least I am not trapped in the window seat by the slopes in CW and there is a decent level of privacy in the window seat. Personally, I much prefer it to any slopey J seats.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I agree.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I still maintain that the current CW seats are better than the slopes that some airlines still have to my shock and horror.

They are not exactly the industry-leading product but at least I am not trapped in the window seat by the slopes in CW and there is a decent level of privacy in the window seat. Personally, I much prefer it to any slopey J seats.
I agree completely
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
HIDDY, we need to differentiate here between short- and long-haul, I think. The subject about LoCo competition [financially] broadly affects the former, whereas the 'quality' aspects tend to belong with the latter. But you are right in highlighting the price difference for the receipt of 'baubles': I think the baubles should be much larger, and actually meaningful.

My mind, such as it is, tends to break it down into:
s/h Economy ... pile it high and sell it cheap.
s/h Business ... make it miles better than a free meal in the same low-pitch economy seat. Forget the moving curtain, install a few rows of decent Business-class seats.

l/h Economy ... pile it high and sell it cheap
l/h Economy+ ... make it an affordable enhancement above WT..
l/h Business ... make a major effort to start competing with other carriers, both East- and West-bound with the hard and soft product. Those seeds are starting to germinate, albeit painfully slowly.
I would hope that savings in one area could be fed back to real enhancements in the other, rather than into shareholder profits.

And, as Porky Speedpig implies above, don't even think about cutting back on the quality of the staff. They're the on-the-spot saviours of every situation, so invest MORE in Customer Services, not less.

That's my amateur Business Plan. But then I know nothing about running an airline.
Unlike the low cost airlines BA has a lot of connecting passengers on their short haul network especially through LHR so I imagine it does have an effect on the quality of their long haul product to some extent....as you bargain fare ex EU people should know.
At the end of the day, customers don't know how to run the airline, our opinions are only based on guesswork and wants.

Anyway, who really cares if BA goes bust? I certainly won't be bothered...I don't have status or bundles of Avios, I'll just give another airline my cash.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I'll just give another airline my cash.
You don't give any airline your cash
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I don't have any to give them....too many vegetarians going about these days.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
oops .....

Last edited by T8191; Jul 24, 2017 at 11:46 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Piquant, accurate, but perhaps a bit rude

Anyway, HIDDY, we all seek best value when spending our own cash. If that necessitates schlepping to Dublin, Tallin or Ulan Bator, and we have the time/energy to do it, it's not a dirty thing. It's common sense.

Not sure why connecting pax should diminish the product, though.
BA has a lot of connecting passengers on their short haul network especially through LHR so I imagine it does have an effect on the quality of their long haul product to some extent
Does that mean we are different/less-worthy people just because we connect? I really don't get your point.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
You could all be right. If there really are enough customers out there willing to pay more for quality then they should go for it. I just won't be one of them as I don't want to pay extra on my ticket for a free drink and bag of nibbles on short haul flight in ET, a better quality amenity kit in CW or the 101 other improvements that get highlighted on here.
Do you really think your ET fare covers 100% of the cost of your flight? The person up the front paying over the odds for their "101 improvements" is actually subsidising you...so be wary if BA drive them away.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Do you really think your ET fare covers 100% of the cost of your flight? The person up the front paying over the odds for their "101 improvements" is actually subsidising you...so be wary if BA drive them away.
I can tell you that most of my BA ET fare cover the cost of the flight. They are not sub £100 one way tickets nor those £21 fares as per Alex Cruz!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
What evidence do you have to support this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.