Wiki Posts
Search

Liability for items damaged by Cabin Crew

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Mine does not. And they always paid out.
Amex also asks the question, I've just claimed for emergency dental treatment and that was one of the first questions after providing my personal details. I've not been asked that question for a travel insurance quote though ... so no suggestion of a careless traveller premium
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by tom139
Just to update you that BA have paid in full up to their liability. This includes replacing some damaged items and the cleaning cost of the bag. Hopefully this will work.

To give BA credit, once uploading a report from Hermès and associated receipts, they have been quick at authorising payment.
Thanks for the update. ^

Just for the record, as the core purpose of the thread has been rather drowned by the extensive riffing over 'having uber-expensive stuff and taking it on planes', what is the limit of liability ?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Thanks for the update. ^

Just for the record, as the core purpose of the thread has been rather drowned by the extensive riffing over 'having uber-expensive stuff and taking it on planes', what is the limit of liability ?
XDR 1,131, or about GBP 1,218 today.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Scuba diving with an expensive watch makes about as much sense as taking a Hermes bag onto an airplane. Travel insurance coverage for irresponsible acts simply shifts the loss onto everyone who buys insurance for legitimate unforeseen events.

The purpose of insurance is to cover expenses for unforeseen circumstances and/or events, and to a certain extent to prevent (unmanageable) financial loss. In this instance it was a scuba watch rated to 200m; normally I never dive with it, but i had forgotten to take it off. Life happens. Not going to apologise. Claiming this is an "irresponsible" act is pure theatre and ridiculous. I am insured specifically for winter sports and scuba diving while traveling, and my bank had zero qualms accepting my claim.

And bringing something of value onboard an aircraft is hardly irresponsible. Otherwise anybody wearing a nice tailored suit or carrying an iPad would be considered irresponsible. Me thinks not. You're welcome.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
And bringing something of value onboard an aircraft is hardly irresponsible. Otherwise anybody wearing a nice tailored suit or carrying an iPad would be considered irresponsible. Me thinks not. You're welcome.
Yes, of course, taking an iPad onto a plane is completely equivalent to bringing an £8k Hermes purse. My apologies for suggesting otherwise! You are completely justified in expecting the traveling public to absorb your loss. Thank you for setting us straight on this. Entitlement is a wonderful thing.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer

The purpose of insurance is to cover expenses for unforeseen circumstances and/or events, and to a certain extent to prevent (unmanageable) financial loss. In this instance it was a scuba watch rated to 200m; normally I never dive with it, but i had forgotten to take it off.
It should have withstood the water in that case, better than any human body. IMO, you had every right to forget to take it off (after all it was designed for it. Give it its proper use!), and you had every right to claim on your insurance.

It wasn't as if you took your Birkin diving (I don't think Birkin comes in waterproof versions yet)

Or that you somehow managed to chuck it out of a BA 777 at 60,000 (!!) ft .

Yes, of course, taking an iPad onto a plane is completely equivalent to bringing an £8k Hermes purse. My apologies for suggesting otherwise! You are completely justified in expecting the traveling public to absorb your loss. Thank you for setting us straight on this.
A lot of travel insurance policies have a single item limit unless otherwise specified and extra premium paid for a specified item. It's not really the travelling public accepting the risk, and BA along with most carriers limit their liability to a certain number of special drawing rights (XDR, or SDR as sometimes known) as was the case with the OP with BA paying up to the specified limit of liability.

We probably are best not to venture into what things we do cost the travelling public - or we could end up arguing that every claim of EC261 adds to the travelling public's expenses by raising the fares to cover that expense, which is an entirely separate matter of course...

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Jul 24, 2017 at 8:14 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:10 pm

Scuba diving with an expensive watch makes about as much sense as taking a Hermes bag onto an airplane. Travel insurance coverage for irresponsible acts simply shifts the loss onto everyone who buys insurance for legitimate unforeseen events.
Not a good comparison. Scuba watches are built and advertised as being for that purpose. Some people buy them specifically for it. Of course insurance should cover it.

To me it makes less sense to see people wearing them as a fashion statement and never taking them anywhere near water.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:20 pm

Instead of raising everyone's insurance premiums because your scuba watch leaked water, a warranty claim against the manufacturer would be more appropriate.

Unless the watch had only a 14-day warranty...... in which case, you should have left it at home.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Instead of raising everyone's insurance premiums because your scuba watch leaked water, a warranty claim against the manufacturer would be more appropriate.

Unless the watch had only a 14-day warranty...... in which case, you should have left it at home.
Why? having paid for insurance and having an event that is covered by the insurance, why should someone try elsewhere

If it is something that would be covered by the manufacturer, the insurance company will be able to reclaim its costs from there
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Why? having paid for insurance and having an event that is covered by the insurance, why should someone try elsewhere

If it is something that would be covered by the manufacturer, the insurance company will be able to reclaim its costs from there

Because it may may not be covered under the policy - it appears to be a manufacturing defect ergo the retailer/manufacturer is responsible.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The insurance company acquires the rights that the injured person has through a mechanism called subrogation. Essentially the insurance company can stand in his shoes and claim against the person who caused the loss. [But this is not the same as buying second hand shoes ]

If there is a claim to be made against the manufacturer, the insurer will make it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Because it may may not be covered under the policy - it appears to be a manufacturing defect ergo the retailer/manufacturer is responsible.
If the insurance doesn't pay out, then the person can still contact the manufacturer

I am lost on what this has at all to do with BA
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Or that you somehow managed to chuck it out of a BA 777 at 60,000 (!!) ft .
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
The thread has run its course and since the OP has confirmed the outcome, perhaps it is time to close the thread to avoid further drifts into the abyss (?) for the diving watch, Birkin, iPad or whatever the object may be.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.