Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BlueThroughCrimp
BA and CX have jointly blocked close in booking between HKG and Taiwan and parts of China with a minimum of 5 days before departure.

Unfortunately as a result of significant levels of fraudulent activity CX have removed access to redemption availability -5 days to departure until further notice. (BA Executive Club)
It is not sure that when this limit will be lifted and people are advised to phone up to book their flights if it is short to departure (even though it may not work)

UPDATES:
- 12/07/2016 The block has been lifted for flights to and from Taiwan.
- 28/10/2016 Looks like there is a 7 days block for flights between HKG and PEK, PVG, XIY (Xi'an), CKG (Chongqing). There may also be a 5 days block on TPE again...
- 28/10/2016 Flights to CTU and WUH still face the 7 days block afaik
- 30/11/2016 Even for TPE there is a 7 days block
- 13/12/2016 Basically everything is blocked, including TYO, LHR and so on.
- 28/02/2017 RIP redemptions to MAINLAND CHINA T-5
- 11/03/2017 Blocked all CX/KA online & phone redemptions to/from All Mainland China, TPE, Malaysia & Singapore flights 9 days from departure !
- 14/03/2017 Ok, folks. CX is blocking ON MOST award spaces for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 9 days prior to departure now.
- 15/03/2017 CX (or rather BA) is blocking CX/KA redemptions blocking ON MOST award spaces between HKG and USA, EU, Japan, Taiwan flights for BAEC members (whether online or phone) up to 22 days prior to departure! Each destination is inconsistent with availability. Some are not available less than 7 days, some as in the case of Japan is 22 days prior to departure.
- 11/08/2017 All CX/KA redemptions are blocked online when close to departure. While most can be booked by phone, Chinese routes may still be blocked when close to departure.

Print Wikipost

CX blocking award availability when it's close to departure?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I thought the cut off was 5 days!

Last night was showing available. Today all zero'd out. But I guess I can still call to book?

What's with this crappy system? No problems with AA availabilities.
As BAEC Gold, I see no availability in the next 9 days, and then plaenty of availability (9 flights per day) starting 21 March.

BTW, I saw the same problem with KUL-HKG. No CX/KA availability until 21 March. But plenty of MH even for tmr. Of course, it could be specific to those dates

Last edited by brunos; Mar 11, 2017 at 12:23 am
Old Mar 11, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Up until 3am this morning every flight was ok (except the 3am one) on KA and CX for award booking. I checked at 1pm and it doesn't even show the usual notice that some flights are gone but just said there are no availability. Now this is 8 days before intended departure! Given the situation, I might just either call to book (would BAEC have the same problem?) or redeem through AA.

EDITED: Hey folks ! Its official... its now 9 days prior to departure and everything is zero'd out online and phone to/from China & HKG.

No such problem when using AAdvantage miles.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 11, 2017 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
I thought the cut off was 5 days!

Last night was showing available. Today all zero'd out. But I guess I can still call to book?

What's with this crappy system? No problems with AA availabilities.
Mind you this time it's not the website but a joint decision made by BA/CX. People were selling airline miles in Asia...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 6:43 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Up until 3am this morning every flight was ok (except the 3am one) on KA and CX for award booking. I checked at 1pm and it doesn't even show the usual notice that some flights are gone but just said there are no availability. Now this is 8 days before intended departure! Given the situation, I might just either call to book (would BAEC have the same problem?) or redeem through AA.

EDITED: Hey folks ! Its official... its now 9 days prior to departure and everything is zero'd out online and phone to/from China & HKG.

No such problem when using AAdvantage miles.
So did you try calling BA to see if they could manually redeem for you?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:37 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Mind you this time it's not the website but a joint decision made by BA/CX. People were selling airline miles in Asia...
Is this stopping sales of miles or stopping sales of redemption tickets? I fail to see how shortening redemption visibility will aid the former.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxc
So did you try calling BA to see if they could manually redeem for you?
Yes. They couldn't see any flights at all (not award flights) - Agent said that there are no flights operating that day ! That's a full 9 days prior to departure that CX/KA is blocking out for BAEC members.

That's why I had to buy a ticket on KA and had fun with CX/KA website as reported here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...e-flights.html
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by percysmith
Is this stopping sales of miles or stopping sales of redemption tickets? I fail to see how shortening redemption visibility will aid the former.
One only needs to visit some Chinese sites to see the blatant posts from members on offering to sell or to buy various miles - BA actually is the least being mentioned, but AA, UA, DL, Membership Rewards, SPG pts, TYPs, UR pts - 100's of thousands available just reading the post titles, then in the body of the thread, many tagged on to sell.

Seems to me the mainland Chinese who live in US whether from student visa or work visa are able to get boatloads of CCs and the corresponding bonuses - a big percentage of the recipients do not use those for award themselves, but for selling for cash.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's bad news... soon, BAEC might want us to have nominees like Asia Miles / Krisflyer does... it is in a way safe for them to ensure that awards don't get sold easily...
Old Mar 13, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's bad news... soon, BAEC might want us to have nominees like Asia Miles / Krisflyer does... it is in a way safe for them to ensure that awards don't get sold easily...
As long as the registration process and the restriction to change eligible members are not atrocious this might actually be better for majority of the members.

There are reasons why the Asian airlines are operating like that.

Hotel programs may be heading this way too - just look at IHG, you are subj to a different set of rules if your address is from China because selling reward rooms are rampant in China, it forces the programs to combat frauds even though it would mean create inconveniences for the honest members.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Yes. They couldn't see any flights at all (not award flights) - Agent said that there are no flights operating that day ! That's a full 9 days prior to departure that CX/KA is blocking out for BAEC members.

That's why I had to buy a ticket on KA and had fun with CX/KA website as reported here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...e-flights.html
Same when I tried to call a few weeks ago for a HKG-PVG flight ~7 days out, the agent could not see anything! I am BAEC Gold.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for updating the wiki.

Can someone help checking if BA/CX zeroed out ALL economy redemptions? There are many premium economy and business class seat but ZERO economy seats available. Just you search any dates to TPE and TYO to begin with.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by cysyuen
Thanks for updating the wiki.

Can someone help checking if BA/CX zeroed out ALL economy redemptions? There are many premium economy and business class seat but ZERO economy seats available. Just you search any dates to TPE and TYO to begin with.
(First time poster here, hello!)

It seems to be the case. All economy tickets are zeroed out for Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and most (if not all) of European and North American Destinations.

Japan/Korean destinations also zeroed out most of Premium Economy spaces.

So far, only China, SE Asia and Australia have economy spaces available.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by marcolau317

It seems to be the case. All economy tickets are zeroed out for Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and most (if not all) of European and North American Destinations.

Thanks for the information! This really drives me nuts as I am having a holiday in HK right now and I want to do some last minute advantures!!
Old Mar 15, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by marcolau317

Depends on what date... I see availability in Y class HKG-NRT in July.
But it seems that anything within 3 WEEKS is zero'd out in ALLclasses, on most flights.

Why only on BA? Why not on AA, AS, AY, etc...

Can BA Executive Club explain??? Don't give us the crap "due to fraud" spiel... if it isn't happening to the other FFPs, then its something to do with BA. Get it fixed !!!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 15, 2017 at 4:00 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 5:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Depends on what date... I see availability in Y class HKG-NRT in July.
But it seems that anything within 3 WEEKS is zero'd out in ALLclasses, on most flights.
AM has good availability seats to 19/3 and from 4/4. BAEC cannot see the seats on 4/4 but can see the seats on 5/4. The seats to 19/3 are probably blocked by the close-in ban.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.