Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So - who got a free upgrade this week?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dc2447
does not prevent you but means the other pax are going to be upgraded before you

It's my belief and I am sticking to it

(it's also the only way I can explain my own lack of op ups)

I also have to book my Long Hauls through the TA that my place of employment uses. But I did get upgraded this month from WT+ to CW on my LHR to YYZ (Toronto) flight. So, it does happen.

I can book myself directly on Short Hauls and on those I never got upgraded. But since I have had some good luck getting exit seats at check-in (T-24), I really don't need an upgrade on those.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: AC E, BA Bronze, HHonors Gold
I was upgraded last week from WT+ to CW From ATL to LHR. It was a nice surprise. Was waiting the same on my LHR-YUL flight yesterday but did not happen. last year my mother and sister got an upgrade to Club World flying CUN-LGW. That was even nicer. The interesting part is that it was their first time ever flying BA.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Silver, LH, AF
I have never been upgraded in eight years (one of which Gold, two as Silver, and another two as Bronze).

Just last week, a colleague of mine with Bronze was upgraded from WT+ to CW on an overnight flight, and I with Silver, and another colleague with OWS status were left in WT+. She had been upgraded with same Bronze within last year as well. And she started flying with BA only three years ago.

I dress well, and check in reasonably early, but am one of the last few to board at the airport. After taking into account my 200+ flights on BA, I think it doesn't seem to be that strong a function of CIV. And Passport and gender seems to play a bigger role than thought previously.

I may hit Gold this year; if that also doesn't change anything, I will consider moving to CX (not just because of the upgrades, but had three horrid flights in a row in past three weeks.)
Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: BA; SQ; Hyatt; Hilton
Originally Posted by stanleycamel
My only ever upgrade was from LHR to SIN from CW to F - couldn't believe it BUT my luck didn't last long as ended up in Ashgabat(Turkmenistan) then overnight in Dehli and the onbound leg gave me only two hours to catch my Singapore connection instead of an overnighter with a chilli crab dinner.
How fun! I'd be interested to hear more about this...
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
I've only ever had two on BA.

Eighteen months ago, a double from Y to J (Upper Deck) on SFO to LHR which I was delighted with as it's an overnight and the company had been it's usual tight self.

The other was at the end of April this year on a LHR to BOS when everything on the day was oversold due to the marathon being the day before. It was only a WT to WT+ upgrade but it meant I could open my laptop and work.

I did once get one on BMI to Riyadh. They pretty much upgraded everyone who was on business to J. Must have been around 15 passenger called out at the gate.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Just had opups both legs from WTP to CW, LHR<->LAX.

Was being aggressively targeted with POUGs all the way leading up to the departure date, outbound was upgraded on OLCI and return was upgraded at the bag drop desk. GCH traveling with a SCH
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Gold
I find upgrades extremely random - 2011 (2), 2012 (1), 2013 (2), 2014 (5), 2015 (1) - being Silver and covering about 100k/yr. There appears no pattern and the 5 I had in 2014 were all in July/Aug/Sep. The upgrade this year was after I had paid for WT to WT+ and was then upgraded to CW. Disappointed this last week having done a 4-sector out and 4-sector return to/from East coast US to Scotland for $3.5k in WT, and not a whiff of an upgrade.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
my first time flying economy since i joined BA in sept.

bumped WT to WT+ at checking in JFK-LHR tonight. maybe the 3800TP in 7 months helped my odds with a WT booking?
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Early OLCI is known to be a positive for upgrades
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Upgraded at gate last night from 64A to 1A DXB-LHR.

Am well past the rumoured 3 per year now, thankfully.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Couple of weeks ago now but, on my first long haul flights as Silver, I got moved up to CW on the return from HKG the day before OLCI opened.
I had looked to see if there was a POUG available a couple of times, so not sure if that was a contributing factor.
It was also a return over four (Fri-Tues) days but only booked in T via our TA, so not sure if that was a +ve contributing factor or not.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bullroot
Upgraded at gate last night from 64A to 1A DXB-LHR.

Am well past the rumoured 3 per year now, thankfully.
Is there a limit?

I cannot remember how many times this happened to be this year already. Last time was also DXB-LHR. We saw that CW was overbooked so figured somebody would be upgraded. Was in a group of 4, the other 3 was GGL and I was only a lowly gold. I was the only one upgraded. Maybe because I showed up at the gate late.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by akinldn
Is there a limit?
Maybe yes. Or maybe no. Or maybe maybe. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...p-ups-out.html.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
careful what you wish for! BA114 JFK-LHR just now was one of the worst flights ive had in the last 100 or so. surly crew, hot hot hot, delays, FROZEN SALAD that was inedible (how do you manage to freeze a salad when set with a 1hr delay on plane and weather at near 30C?), seat mate in WT+ was ALL ELBOWS

and he may have broken my foot, or at least i'll have a limp for a few days thanks to elbows' heavy "mis-step" on to my foot.

Last edited by VSLover; Jun 25, 2015 at 3:55 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by dc2447
does not prevent you but means the other pax are going to be upgraded before you

It's my belief and I am sticking to it

(it's also the only way I can explain my own lack of op ups)
Every flight I've been upgraded on has been corporate TA (AmEx) booked. Gold / Silver, travelling alone and oversold cabin are the magic ingredients IME. Possibly also doing OLCI ASAP. Colleagues who are notionally similar but check-in at airport seem to have less luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.